Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Ip Man Wing Chun?

Traditionally the blind fold was given to certain students that were scared of the opponents arms during chi sau. This would lead to them sticking to them and/or going to the limbs rather than directly to the center with the punch. They would become frightened and in extreme cases move the head away and close the eyes which is not good for fighting. This is a natural response and one has to be trained away. Taking the vision away theoretically would help the process of attacking.

It's part of a lat sau jik chun training exercise. In the context of previous "discussions" I wasn't sure so had to ask much to the delight of LT's love child (BPWT) who seems to want to use it against me all the time.

I never had that problem so never needed a blind fold and it wasn't until I asked PB that I got more information on it. Until then I just thought it was a BS exercise which actually these days in most lineages it is!
    "Ving Tsun is a horse not everybody can ride"

Wong Shun Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by Rik-M View Post
    Quick question " where has the fascination with closing one's eyes during chi sau come from?"
    Surely there can be no benefit, as during chi sau surely you must be training to enhance ones skills for the fight not impeding one's senses.
    That's easy Rik. People love BS. Simple marketing to draw people in so they can fight like the great grandmaster when they have Cataract.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil-Y View Post
    I have trained in various lineages over 15 years or so but 14 of those years were wasted in my eyes learning Wing Chun that was in effective and useless. Not so much now....and that's thanks to Graham.
    Not a p!ss-taking question, but how do you train for 14 years in something that was ineffective and useless?

I get that you can find something better (I did too), but I don't feel what I learned before was useless. Maybe not as optimal. How were you training for 14 years to not notice it was useless? Or were you just training for the fun of it and never upped the pressure (what usually alerts a person to any system problems)?

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT.. View Post
    Not a p!ss-taking question, but how do you train for 14 years in something that was ineffective and useless?

I get that you can find something better (I did too), but I don't feel what I learned before was useless. Maybe not as optimal. How were you training for 14 years to not notice it was useless? Or were you just training for the fun of it and never upped the pressure (what usually alerts a person to any system problems)?
    wow!! What's this? An actual sensible question from Budapest?

Wong Shun Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Traditionally the blind fold was given to certain students that were scared of the opponents arms during chi sau....
    It's part of a lat sau jik chun training exercise.
    All Chi Sau is LLHS, LSJC training. Why would it be any different with the blind fold on - you called "Bullsh!t" because, like you say, you'd never done it (or needed to in your opinion).

But that's the point I am making. Everything is Bullsh!t to you if you don't do it... it is funny, as PB had to explain it to you. A lesson to learn, maybe, that not everything is BS just because you don't train it.

wow!! What's this? An actual sensible question from Budapest?
    Most of my questions are sensible. It's my insults that are stupid.

I was ignorant, convincing myself it worked. I'd try sparring and it looked like a car crash so I would avoid it sticking to pre arranged drills and applications were it looked nice and clean. Maybe saying it was 'useless' was an overstatement for dramatic effect! I was trained to some degree and against certain 'untrained' people I might have been able to do OK. The only way I can compare is if that I was fighting myself what I know now compared to last year (i.e same height, weight, attitude, emotional state) there would be no competition. I now have a fighting strategy, better physical behaviors, an improved elbow position, footwork, balance, timing.

It's difficult to know your on the bad path if your not exposed to anything better or if you are then you don't have the courage to accept it. Fortunately social media has helped people see the truth. I saw Philipps stuff on you tube and thought he is applying his VT against some very handy guys. Not prearranged moves but in Gwoh Sau and sparring.

When I take my car for it's MOT I always get told that there are problems and the brakes need fixing something else and it's going to set me back a small fortune. But I have to take their word for it even though some of it maybe BS. Same with VT if you don't know the truth you tend to stick with what you have.

All Chi Sau is LLHS, LSJC training. Why would it be any different with the blind fold on - you called "Bullsh!t" because, like you say, you'd never done it (or needed to in your opinion).

But that's the point I am making. Everything is Bullsh!t to you if you don't do it... it is funny, as PB had to explain it to you. A lesson to learn, maybe, that not everything is BS just because you don't train it.
    Ving Tsun is a system of developing simple, efficient and direct strategies for fighting. Using the blind fold argument to try and justify that there may be more things I'm not aware of is stupid. The blind fold is a training aid and not really to do with the fighting aspects of the system. Most students will not need it. It was actually something that I never asked or needed to ask up until that point.

As for me disagreeing with your ideas behind chi sau and what the forms teach that is a whole different kettle of fish.

When I refer to BS I am specifically talking about the things like Leung Ting shows and teaches. I am also referring to his movements and his overall general systems. I am also referring to some of YOUR ideas on Ving Tsun.

Your whole Bil Jee idea for instance and also that you think LT is something he is not. IMO that is what Wing Chun BS is to a T!

Ya get me blud? lol

Wong Shun Leung.

................and also your whole idea on LLHSLSJC! It really is complete tripe!

Wong Shun Leung.

I was ignorant, convincing myself it worked. I'd try sparring and it looked like a car crash so I would avoid it sticking to pre arranged drills and applications were it looked nice and clean. Maybe saying it was 'useless' was an overstatement for dramatic effect! I was trained to some degree and against certain 'untrained' people I might have been able to do OK. The only way I can compare is if that I was fighting myself what I know now compared to last year (i.e same height, weight, attitude, emotional state) there would be no competition. I now have a fighting strategy, better physical behaviors, an improved elbow position, footwork, balance, timing.

It's difficult to know your on the bad path if your not exposed to anything better or if you are then you don't have the courage to accept it. Fortunately social media has helped people see the truth. I saw Philipps stuff on you tube and thought he is applying his VT against some very handy guys. Not prearranged moves but in Gwoh Sau and sparring.

When I take my car for it's MOT I always get told that there are problems and the brakes need fixing something else and it's going to set me back a small fortune. But I have to take their word for it even though some of it maybe BS. Same with VT if you don't know the truth you tend to stick with what you have.
    You owe me 5 grand!

Wong Shun Leung.

You owe me 5 grand!
    What again?

...................good post BTW and exactly the same reasons why I moved away from my old lineages!

Wong Shun Leung.

...................good post BTW and exactly the same reasons why I moved away from my old lineages!
    Thank you Sensie

To quote WSL..............."only fools will follow other fools"

Those that have the correct thinking will be able to see through the BS and eventually find their way.

For those of us that have left these ridiculous lineages of Wing Chun behind we have made progress unlike the people that remain inside them.

Some people like the BS and some do not.

Wong Shun Leung.

Thank you Sensie
    No problem Danielsan!

pmsl.....................

Wong Shun Leung.