Thread: Ip Man Wing Chun?

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Is it true that Ip Man's sons really didn't train with him that much when he was alive because they had other interests? And it's later in life that they developed an interest in wing chun?

I've heard that story / rumor but I'm not from an Ip Man lineage so don't have any private stories or perspectives on that.

Yes I've heard the same. I find other versions of the knife form better suited for weapon on weapon scenarios. I say that having been fortunate enough to practice, albeit briefly, with people who practice European sword fighting skills from the medieval and late-medieval period.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    The form taught by Ip Chun is an abomination and not from Ip Man! Fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Need I say more? Right from the start it is a complete shambles!
    Well, many are able to distinguish between the merits of the form taught and the relative skill of the person performing it. Ip Chun is a very good teacher and very good at chi sau and the many great boxing coaches are testament to the fact that you don't have to be the best 'in performance', to be a great coach and to train champions.

I am not overly concerned about debates regarding providence as my concerns are more about 'does it work', in the sense of the reasons for training it a particular way; something that WSL was very much at pains to stress. In terms of the reasons for training the Ip Chun form, in my experience it does work by the terms of reference I cite above. If it is the case that Ip Chun created many aspects of this form, then I tip my hat to him because I indeed find it useful and an enhancement to my 'empty hand' wing chun.

Graham, yes I would like you to say more from your perspective about the practice of the knife forms you have been taught. I am very much interested to read your thoughts.
    Last edited by Paddington; 06-27-2014 at 05:58 AM.