Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Ip Man Wing Chun?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Is it true that Ip Man's sons really didn't train with him that much when he was alive because they had other interests? And it's later in life that they developed an interest in wing chun?

I've heard that story / rumor but I'm not from an Ip Man lineage so don't have any private stories or perspectives on that.

Yes I've heard the same. I find other versions of the knife form better suited for weapon on weapon scenarios. I say that having been fortunate enough to practice, albeit briefly, with people who practice European sword fighting skills from the medieval and late-medieval period.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    The form taught by Ip Chun is an abomination and not from Ip Man! Fact!
    Need I say more? Right from the start it is a complete shambles!
    Well, many are able to distinguish between the merits of the form taught and the relative skill of the person performing it. Ip Chun is a very good teacher and very good at chi sau and the many great boxing coaches are testament to the fact that you don't have to be the best 'in performance', to be a great coach and to train champions.

I am not overly concerned about debates regarding providence as my concerns are more about 'does it work', in the sense of the reasons for training it a particular way; something that WSL was very much at pains to stress. In terms of the reasons for training the Ip Chun form, in my experience it does work by the terms of reference I cite above. If it is the case that Ip Chun created many aspects of this form, then I tip my hat to him because I indeed find it useful and an enhancement to my 'empty hand' wing chun.

Graham, yes I would like you to say more from your perspective about the practice of the knife forms you have been taught. I am very much interested to read your thoughts.
    Last edited by Paddington; 06-27-2014 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post

Well, many are able to distinguish between the merits of the form taught and the relative skill of the person performing it. Ip Chun is a very good teacher and very good at chi sau and the many great boxing coaches are testament to the fact that you don't have to be the best 'in performance', to be a great coach and to train champions.

I am not overly concerned about debates regarding providence as my concerns are more about 'does it work', in the sense of the reasons for training it a particular way; something that WSL was very much at pains to stress. In terms of the reasons for training the Ip Chun form, in my experience it does work by the terms of reference I cite above. If it is the case that Ip Chun created many aspects of this form, then I tip my hat to him because I indeed find it useful and an enhancement to my 'empty hand' wing chun.

Graham, yes I would like you to say more from your perspective about the practice of the knife forms you have been taught. I am very much interested to read your thoughts.
    Although Ip Chun is not the worst at chi sau IMO he certainly is up there. Any way what does being good at chi sau mean? Its a training drill FFS!

He is an ok guy I'll give him that but the way his students suck up to him makes me sick.

Dude if you use you knives like Ip Chun you would be in trouble if somebody came at you with a weapon intent on hurting you but if you like it then thats fine. Not for me!

You want to ask a question about the knives then fire away but firstly I can ask you one. Why does Ip Chun punch at the start of the knife form? Do you know the reason why that is very bad and why you should in fact kick?
    "Ving Tsun is a horse not everybody can ride"

Wong Shun Leung.

Why does Ip Chun punch at the start of the knife form? Do you know the reason why that is very bad and why you should in fact kick?

Hmm...looking forward to hearing the response/reasons for this!!! I always thought it began with a kick(???)...

Quote Originally Posted by HybridWarrior View Post
    I always thought it began with a kick(???)...
    Care to explain why?

Wong Shun Leung.

Care to explain why?
    Dunno...I've always thought it odd that some folks when doing their version of BJD have the knives cradled in one hand and then awkwardly punch and/or kick as they try to re-grip the knives, etc. It's just always looked very unnatural. Kind of like the flipping stuff too...

Although Ip Chun is not the worst at chi sau IMO he certainly is up there. Any way what does being good at chi sau mean? Its a training drill FFS!

He is an ok guy I'll give him that but the way his students suck up to him makes me sick.

Dude if you use you knives like Ip Chun you would be in trouble if somebody came at you with a weapon intent on hurting you but if you like it then thats fine. Not for me!

You want to ask a question about the knives then fire away but firstly I can ask you one. Why does Ip Chun punch at the start of the knife form? Do you know the reason why that is very bad and why you should in fact kick?
    Hi Graham, you seemed to have missed the points I made. No problem, I'll briefly mention them again. First, I've already said that I find other versions of the knife form better suited to weapon on weapon scenarios such as in post 136, you know, the post of mine you actually cite but missed including that part. I also make that point indirectly in post 127, so there are lines of agreement between us.

I am more interested in your general view of the knife form you have been taught and particularly if you see, as Hybridwarrior asked, any correlation with the empty hand techniques you know. I don't have any direct questions for you, primarily because I don't want to be aggressive and come across as attempting to catch someone out with closed questioning.

Consequently I am not going to answer your closed question as it would lead, I believe, to negative responses. I've already shared my general thoughts and you are free to offer yours, which I very much welcome. The choice is yours.
    Last edited by Paddington; 06-27-2014 at 06:48 AM.

Dunno...I've always thought it odd that some folks when doing their version of BJD have the knives cradled in one hand and then awkwardly punch and/or kick as they try to re-grip the knives, etc. It's just always looked very unnatural. Kind of like the flipping stuff too...
    Others state that the knives were kept in the boot or about the lower leg, whilst others still will talk about being jumped and using your longest ranged body weapon to give you time to draw your own bladed weapon.

Others state that the knives were kept in the boot or about the lower leg, whilst others still will talk about being jumped and using your longest ranged body weapon to give you time to draw your own bladed weapon.
    Cool. Thx. Of the two things you mentioned...the latter seems more common sense. Thx.

Hi Graham, you seemed to have missed the points I made. No problem, I'll briefly mention them again. First, I've already said that I find other versions of the knife form better suited to weapon on weapon scenarios such as in post 136, you know, the post of mine you actually cite but missed including that part. I also make that point indirectly in post 127, so there are lines of agreement between us.

I am more interested in your general view of the knife form you have been taught and particularly if you see, as Hybridwarrior asked, any correlation with the empty hand techniques you know. I don't have any direct questions for you, primarily because I don't want to be aggressive and come across as attempting to catch someone out with closed questioning.

Consequently I am not going to answer your closed question as it would lead, I believe, to negative responses. I've already shared my general thoughts and you are free to offer yours, which I very much welcome. The choice is yours.
    F78k me! Are you a politician?

Have a nice weekend.

Wong Shun Leung.

Have a nice weekend.
    (my emphasis)

Yes, just not a very good one. Besides, I clearly did state what I said in post 136. Graham, I really do welcome your constructive comments on the themes Hybridwarrior and I were discussing. I think you have a lot of constructive and informative things to say.

Cool. Thx. Of the two things you mentioned...the latter seems more common sense. Thx.
    No problem. I don't know which one is correct or even if there is one correct answer. Perhaps Graham can tell us his thoughts?
    Last edited by Paddington; 06-27-2014 at 07:17 AM.

Care to explain why?
    Because hes about 300 years old now and cant kick anymore?

Have a nice weekend.
    No, apparently he is a psychologist G!

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    No, apparently he is a psychologist G!
    And I'm an Aussie psychologist. Now cheer the f up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    And I'm an Aussie psychologist. Now cheer the f up.
    Bwahahahhaahah........ ya wanker!