Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ip Man Wing Chun?

Ip Man Wing Chun?

I am new to the W/C forum. I am also very amazed at the various documentaries and movies that show W/C techniques. My question is this, how does one learn Wing Chun, of the Ip Man variety if such does exist, in an area such the Lexington Ky area? I would also like to understand why there are no teachers that appear on any of the web searches that I have done as well, but I suspect this is due to an abundance of factors. Anyhow, I am tired of playing around with some the techniques that I have seen through these sources and have a real desire to learn wing chun, but no one to learn from! Can anyone suggest or know of someone, regardless of whether or not they have a brick and mortar school, that comes from an identifiable lineage and would take on me and my children as students? Thank you for your replies and I am in the Somerset, Kentucky area.

You can also try ewingchun.com And the wing chun forum over at Martial Talk. I know there is a guy over there who teaches in the area you mentioned. Good luck.

Looks like they may not be any schools listed in your area. However, I strongly suggest you e-mail/call the nearest schools as they may know of someone who is teaching privately (i.e. they are not interested in dealing with the random person just poking around martial arts schools) or may have a senior student who may live relatively close to you and may be interested in teaching.

Good luck in your search.

Depending how badly you want to learn, you may have to travel some. After a few quick google searches, I see some clubs/schools in both Knoxville and Bowling Green by searching each of those cities and 'wing chun'. I know this isn't ideal, but I've known people to travel over 100 miles each way to learn MA's when there is nothing near by.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing!
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by HybridWarrior View Post
    You can also try ewingchun.com And the wing chun forum over at Martial Talk. I know there is a guy over there who teaches in the area you mentioned. Good luck.
    Thank you for the website. A prelimenary look shows a couple of options in tennessee. I will look into this further, thank you so much.
    Last edited by nautavac; 06-16-2014 at 11:26 PM. Reason: misspelled thank

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Almost A Ghost View Post
    Looks like they may not be any schools listed in your area. However, I strongly suggest you e-mail/call the nearest schools as they may know of someone who is teaching privately (i.e. they are not interested in dealing with the random person just poking around martial arts schools) or may have a senior student who may live relatively close to you and may be interested in teaching.

Thank you for your insight. I had not considered this idea. To be quite honest looking on the web is real discouraging. Especially for my area, and to make matters worse my family is really busy. I dont have the luxury of playing around with or poking around with schools. I will make a few calls etc and see what i can work out. Thank you

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Depending how badly you want to learn, you may have to travel some. After a few quick google searches, I see some clubs/schools in both Knoxville and Bowling Green by searching each of those cities and 'wing chun'. I know this isn't ideal, but I've known people to travel over 100 miles each way to learn MA's when there is nothing near by.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing!
    I may end up having to travel. I dont know how i can do it though. Was hoping someone on here might know someone around me. Would a good teacher from a respected lineage be very tolerant of me driving for class one day a week if that was all i could do? Work, kids, wife, like everyone else i understand, but a lot on my shoulders to add driving two to three hours one way and a lot of hardship on the family too. I think i will try the other suggestions and if no alternative exists probably will have to drive. I refuse to just give up, too interested in learning, using, and hopefully teaching way down the road sometime. We have too much need here for real martial art instructors. I know that i am sick and tired of reading about WC, watching movies about WC, and youtube videos of WC and just cant shake the thirst for WC, gonna have to do something about it soon. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by nautavac View Post
    Thank you for the website. A prelimenary look shows a couple of options in tennessee. I will look into this further, thank you so much.
    You're welcome. Good luck in your search. You could also try the wing chun section over on Reddit.

Quote Originally Posted by Almost A Ghost View Post

This is very true. I know of three wing chun people in my area who live / train / teach quietly and privately.
    nautavac, dig deep with your research. Post on craigslist, local newspaper, etc. I"m betting you'll find someone close to your town.

I may end up having to travel. I dont know how i can do it though. Was hoping someone on here might know someone around me. Would a good teacher from a respected lineage be very tolerant of me driving for class one day a week if that was all i could do? Work, kids, wife, like everyone else i understand, but a lot on my shoulders to add driving two to three hours one way and a lot of hardship on the family too. I think i will try the other suggestions and if no alternative exists probably will have to drive. I refuse to just give up, too interested in learning, using, and hopefully teaching way down the road sometime. We have too much need here for real martial art instructors. I know that i am sick and tired of reading about WC, watching movies about WC, and youtube videos of WC and just cant shake the thirst for WC, gonna have to do something about it soon. Thank you

A good teacher/SiFu shouldn't care about whether or not you travel to learn something you really want. I drive 9 hrs one way. Obviously I would prefer to drive across town and not across several states but as with most things in life...I've made my wing chun a priority goal/objective, etc and so don't mind.

Another option: get a small group together (say 6-12 folks) and then find a SiFu to 'come to your location'...i.e. intensive training weekends once a month, or perhaps quarterly seminars etc.

If you want to learn Ip Man Wing Chun you will need one of these................

Name:  dmc 12.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  42.4 KB
    "Ving Tsun is a horse not everybody can ride"

Wong Shun Leung.

Wing Chun Directory

I am new to the W/C forum. I am also very amazed at the various documentaries and movies that show W/C techniques. My question is this, how does one learn Wing Chun, of the Ip Man variety if such does exist, in an area such the Lexington Ky area? I would also like to understand why there are no teachers that appear on any of the web searches that I have done as well, but I suspect this is due to an abundance of factors. Anyhow, I am tired of playing around with some the techniques that I have seen through these sources and have a real desire to learn wing chun, but no one to learn from! Can anyone suggest or know of someone, regardless of whether or not they have a brick and mortar school, that comes from an identifiable lineage and would take on me and my children as students? Thank you for your replies and I am in the Somerset, Kentucky area.
    you can also try wingchun-selfdefense.com which is a global directory!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    If you want to learn Ip Man Wing Chun you will need one of these................

hahahahaha...nice one!

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post

I would love to have one. Got one i could borrow? Or are you saying that Ip man WC only exists in the past? Sure would be nice to have a delorean with a working flux capacitor and a wild haired scientist to keep it working. Good suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by chousos View Post
    you can also try wingchun-selfdefense.com which is a global directory!
    stop spamming