Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Ip Man Wing Chun?

I came across this video of another one of Ip Man's students, Wong Long Ching, that I've not had the opportunity to see much of before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60f38xFDH88

Has anyone got any further information or links to other clips of Wong practicing wing chun, that they would not mind sharing?

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    I came across this video of another one of Ip Man's students, Wong Long Ching, that I've not had the opportunity to see much of before.

Has anyone got any further information or links to other clips of Wong practicing wing chun, that they would not mind sharing?

Nice video! Thx. Had not heard of him before.

I didn't mind that

Quote Originally Posted by HybridWarrior View Post
    Dunno...I've always thought it odd that some folks when doing their version of BJD have the knives cradled in one hand and then awkwardly punch and/or kick as they try to re-grip the knives, etc. It's just always looked very unnatural. Kind of like the flipping stuff too...
    HW I agree with you on both counts. One idea for the starting kick....you are surprised at close quarters and essentially "kick the opponent away" to make enough space to bring the knives into play. Another is that the knives are in a sheath on the lower leg and you are lifting up the leg to put the knives within reach rather than bending over to draw them. Another is that the kick is actually a deflection of a pole or spear thrust as you are bringing the knives into play from wherever you have them stashed.

But its just a form. Wing Chun forms are not a choreographed fight. So whether the form starts with a kick or a punch is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    I didn't mind that
    This video at 22 secs-ish reminds me very much of the dummy form shown by WSL, albeit applied on a training partner;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE_DKNqC4yM

Here are some more clips, there are some great bits of information there and I believe the gentleman of a portly stature, and whom wears spectacles, is the same gent that interviewed WSL with respects to the dummy form on another video.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ong+long+ching
    Last edited by Paddington; 06-28-2014 at 05:15 AM. Reason: wrong person description

reply to my own stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by nautavac View Post
    Distance learning in wc? Has anyone looked into this? If so, is there one that could be recommended. Btw, i have tried to contact sifu? Correy in Tn asking about local or closer possible training options but have had no reply and in the process have turned up DLPs and wandered what the opinion of these were. Any thoughts? Iron shin, arm, and palm training tomorrow night so getting my typing in before my arms are too tired.
    Disregard this please. I posted this before searching for DLP's on this forum. Sorry. I was just enamored with the kwok program which seems to have Mark Beardsall (sp) promoting it. I would still appreciate some insight for Kwok's program if one had a vigorous training schedule, partner, and took advantage of Kwok's tele-meetings and such to straighten out techniques. Any thoughts? BTW made contact with Sifu Corey in TN bia email. A very nice and helpful individual too, but still looking for a teacher within distance for work and family time as well. Thanks in advance.

correction

Disregard this please. I posted this before searching for DLP's on this forum. Sorry. I was just enamored with the kwok program which seems to have Mark Beardsall (sp) promoting it. I would still appreciate some insight for Kwok's program if one had a vigorous training schedule, partner, and took advantage of Kwok's tele-meetings and such to straighten out techniques. Any thoughts? BTW made contact with Sifu Corey in TN bia email. A very nice and helpful individual too, but still looking for a teacher within distance for work and family time as well. Thanks in advance.
    in my last post I stated, "disregard this please" I was referring to my post asking about DLP's. I was reading the post and realized the mistake.

BTW made contact with Sifu Corey in TN bia email. A very nice and helpful individual too, but still looking for a teacher within distance for work and family time as well. Thanks in advance.

I would still try over at http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/63-wing-chun

Start a thread about WC in Kentucky and see what pops up.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    But its just a form. Wing Chun forms are not a choreographed fight. So whether the form starts with a kick or a punch is irrelevant.
    I disagree!
    "Ving Tsun is a horse not everybody can ride"

Wong Shun Leung.

This video at 22 secs-ish reminds me very much of the dummy form shown by WSL, albeit applied on a training partner;
    Nothing like it!

Wong Shun Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    HW I agree with you on both counts. One idea for the starting kick....you are surprised at close quarters and essentially "kick the opponent away" to make enough space to bring the knives into play. Another is that the knives are in a sheath on the lower leg and you are lifting up the leg to put the knives within reach rather than bending over to draw them. Another is that the kick is actually a deflection of a pole or spear thrust as you are bringing the knives into play from wherever you have them stashed.

This is actually a pretty ridiculous idea!

So you think that in a fight where weapons are drawn you would lift you leg up to bring your own knives into play? I'm glad I'm not your student. And you also think that if somebody is attacking you with a spear or pole that you would try and deflect it with a part of your body. Really KPM that is the most stupidest thing I've ever heard.

I feel sorry for you cheated students.

Wong Shun Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    This is actually a pretty ridiculous idea!

So you think that in a fight where weapons are drawn you would lift you leg up to bring your own knives into play? I'm glad I'm not your student. And you also think that if somebody is attacking you with a spear or pole that you would try and deflect it with a part of your body. Really KPM that is the most stupidest thing I've ever heard.

I feel sorry for you cheated students.
    Evening graham, tactful as ever

Yes I agree, I welcome someone kicking me while I have a knife

Tactfulness is not my strong point but I'm sure KPM will spend hours trying to justify his rubbish as will Paddington Bear who also talks a lot of sh!t.

Wong Shun Leung.

..................the first action from Bil Jee. If the odds are against you, you must escape but according to KPM you can block weapons with kicks. What a load of nonsense!

Wong Shun Leung.

.....................whoops I forgot. Actually Wing Chun players have two big knives tucked in their socks.

Wong Shun Leung.