Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Ip Man Wing Chun?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Tactfulness is not my strong point but I'm sure KPM will spend hours trying to justify his rubbish as will Paddington Bear who also talks a lot of sh!t.
    You have a way with words G, yes they do waffle on a bit

..................the first action from Bil Jee. If the odds are against you, you must escape but according to KPM you can block weapons with kicks. What a load of nonsense!
    Block??? No!!

It's a disarm, you kick the knife out of his hands!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Block??? No!!

It's a disarm, you kick the knife out of his hands!!!
    Or you could be like Ip Chun and throw a punch first and them move into the attacking weapon! lmao

Ip Chun also has the added benefit of cutting his own arms off during combat
    "Ving Tsun is a horse not everybody can ride"

Wong Shun Leung.

This is actually a pretty ridiculous idea!

So you think that in a fight where weapons are drawn you would lift you leg up to bring your own knives into play? I'm glad I'm not your student. And you also think that if somebody is attacking you with a spear or pole that you would try and deflect it with a part of your body. Really KPM that is the most stupidest thing I've ever heard.

I feel sorry for you cheated students.
    Jackie Chan makes similar tricks work all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    yes they do waffle on a bit
    Yes very true and full of fresh air

Wong Shun Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Jackie Chan makes similar tricks work all the time.
    Most of the people on this forum live in kung fu movies so its not surprising. The rate at which the manure spreads is really mind boggling.

Wong Shun Leung.

This is what I think of Jackie Chan

Name:  BruceLee-v-JackieChan.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  49.9 KB

Wong Shun Leung.

Or you could be like Ip Chun and throw a punch first and them move into the attacking weapon! lmao

Ip Chun also has the added benefit of cutting his own arms off during combat
    Yes, its another lineage called Wing Stump!

Just to reply to Graham here and those joining him in all the p i s s taking. It was actually Graham that asked what the opening kick was used for in the knife form and he asked in a way that indicated that there was an answer and that he knew it. Some offered suggestions for the kick and asked Graham what he thought it was there for, Graham did not answer.

I would also add that it seems a bit of a contradiction for Graham and others to take a literal interpretation in terms of 'application', of the punch Ip Chun performs in the opening of the knife form he shows. For Graham and others quite a bit of word space has been generated on these boards arguing against a one-to-one mapping of movements from forms to applications, in preference of a more 'principle' or 'concept' based interpretations. IMO, that punch is just an opening of the form and serves the same purpose as you see it in the empty hand forms.

Once again, Graham, GlennR and even LFJ are unable to actually contribute substantive points on topics and themes being discussed by others, even when they are invited to take the floor to give their opinions. All they seem to manage is p i s s taking, derision and the demeaning of others. We all welcome your input and your opinions about the forms you practice, here the knife form, and your interpretations. It could be the case that you just don't know, which is fine, as most of us don't claim to know it all either.

This is actually a pretty ridiculous idea!

So you think that in a fight where weapons are drawn you would lift you leg up to bring your own knives into play? I'm glad I'm not your student. And you also think that if somebody is attacking you with a spear or pole that you would try and deflect it with a part of your body. Really KPM that is the most stupidest thing I've ever heard.

I feel sorry for you cheated students.
    Well, here we have another member of the "a55hole and proud of it" group making every thread an argument, jumping to conclusions, and being as abrasive as possible. I was throwing out ideas that I have heard over the years. I don't teach that. I already stated that I thought it was irrelevant. If you want to talk about why you disagree with that statement, what the kick is for, and how it IS relevant in a polite fashion, then please do. No statement about the fate of my students is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    Just to reply to Graham here and those joining him in all the p i s s taking. It was actually Graham that asked what the opening kick was used for in the knife form and he asked in a way that indicated that there was an answer and that he knew it. Some offered suggestions for the kick and asked Graham what he thought it was there for, Graham did not answer.

I would also add that it seems a bit of a contradiction for Graham and others to take a literal interpretation in terms of 'application', of the punch Ip Chun performs in the opening of the knife form he shows. For Graham and others quite a bit of word space has been generated on these boards arguing against a one-to-one mapping of movements from forms to applications, in preference of a more 'principle' or 'concept' based interpretations. IMO, that punch is just an opening of the form and serves the same purpose as you see it in the empty hand forms.

Once again, Graham, GlennR and even LFJ are unable to actually contribute substantive points on topics and themes being discussed by others, even when they are invited to take the floor to give their opinions. All they seem to manage is p i s s taking, derision and the demeaning of others. We all welcome your input and your opinions about the forms you practice, here the knife form, and your interpretations. It could be the case that you just don't know, which is fine, as most of us don't claim to know it all either.
    Oh ****! You only mentioned my name 7 times!

FWIW you are completely wrong! The empty hand forms (apart from BJ) and the knives conceptually are completely different!

Talking about knowing it all I think I do. Ving Tsun is a very easy and clear system to understand. All elements compliment each other. There is nothing I can't explain until you add the element of BS and internet forums. I would not feel comfortable or be able to teach if I had any grey areas.

Like I said before, usually the further one gets through the system the more erratic it becomes. This is proof that the system is not really understood in many lineages. People are just flailing around in the dark.

Why else would all these threads descend into chaos? We should all be on the same page but as soon as the BS rocks up then all goes to rubbish.

Wong Shun Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post

=1..................

FWIW you are completely wrong! The empty hand forms (apart from BJ) and the knives conceptually are completely different!

Talking about knowing it all I think I do. Ving Tsun is a very easy and clear system to understand. All elements compliment each other. There is nothing I can't explain until you add the element of BS and internet forums. I would not feel comfortable or be able to teach if I had any grey areas.

Like I said before, usually the further one gets through the system the more erratic it becomes. This is proof that the system is not really understood in many lineages. People are just flailing around in the dark.

Why else would all these threads descend into chaos? We should all be on the same page but as soon as the BS rocks up then all goes to rubbish.
    Another whole post and you still didn't even answer your own question.

..................and I already offered you to ask me any question regarding the system to which your response was usual.........................jibberish.

Wong Shun Leung.

Graham they descend into chaos because of yours, and others, tone and choices to say the things you do and the way you say it. You also consistently fail to state your opinions and demonstrate that you know what you are talking about.

I am very sympathetic to PB's wing chun and I have engaged in lengthy email conversations with some of PB's students to understand that perspective. Indeed, I even wrote to PB to ask if I could visit him or his school in Germany to chi sau and to experience his arms first hand to see, for myself, just how good he is. I even said I was willing to pay for his time and that I was very impressed with the system as he teaches it and wanted to learn more. I did not get a reply and to be honest I did not expect to.

It is somewhat frustrating, then, to be met by your constant avoidance strategies when pressed for fuller explanations, even when people are respectful and want to know more. As I indicated, I am beginning to seriously doubt your level of understanding and I have no problem admitting that my understanding is not a full one, and that I still have a lot to learn.

EDIT: My asking you to give a general overview of the knife form as you practice it is not gibberish. I'll say it again, I welcome your general thoughts on the knife form as you practice it and if you want to start with the first few moves, as a way to focus your answer, please feel free to do so. That is straight forward request with very little ambiguity and saying that it is gibberish to the extent that you can't answer is BS and an example of your avoidance strategies.