Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Ip Man Wing Chun?

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Another whole post and you still didn't even answer your own question.
    Once again, Graham, GlennR and even LFJ are unable to actually contribute substantive points on topics and themes being discussed by others, even when they are invited to take the floor to give their opinions. All they seem to manage is p i s s taking, derision and the demeaning of others.
    Mate, all i said was that you and Paddington "waffle on a bit", if you think thats "demeaning" then you should...........

.............. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y..............

Graham they descend into chaos because of yours, and others, tone and choices to say the things you do and the way you say it.
    They descend into chaos due to your insistence that people converse in a certain "way".

If you dont get that, well, you know the video link

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Mate, all i said was that you and Paddington "waffle on a bit", if you think thats "demeaning" then you should...........

GlennR, you have a choice. You can contribute on topic substantive points or just make off hand remarks. I have enjoyed reading your posts when they have been focused and on topic and I welcome your input on the discussion here about the knife form. Let's move away from our mutual bashing and onto the topic at hand. Again, I welcome your thoughts on the knife form.

EDIT: By certain way I mean not constantly p i s s taking and criticizing others but rather contributing substantive points from your own perspective.
    Last edited by Paddington; 06-30-2014 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    GlennR, you have a choice. You can contribute on topic substantive points or just make off hand remarks. I have enjoyed reading your posts when they have been focused and on topic and I welcome your input on the discussion here about the knife form. Let's move away from our mutual bashing and onto the topic at hand. Again, I welcome your thoughts on the knife form.
    Thats the thing P, im not having a bash, just a bit of a laugh.
    Your choice if you want to bet all upset about it.

Knives? Ive only played a bit with them and im not qualified to comment....... but ill still have a laugh

Thats the thing P, im not having a bash, just a bit of a laugh.
    Your choice if you want to bet all upset about it.

Knives? Ive only played a bit with them and im not qualified to comment....... but ill still have a laugh
    That's fine GlennR, I still welcome your thoughts despite your limited experience with the knives. What have been your initial impressions?

That's fine GlennR, I still welcome your thoughts despite your limited experience with the knives. What have been your initial impressions?
    Good question, having dinner and ill respond after

I am beginning to seriously doubt your level of understanding :
    Amazing...........
    "Ving Tsun is a horse not everybody can ride"

Wong Shun Leung.

Well, here we have another member of the "a55hole and proud of it" group making every thread an argument, jumping to conclusions, and being as abrasive as possible. I was throwing out ideas that I have heard over the years. I don't teach that. I already stated that I thought it was irrelevant. If you want to talk about why you disagree with that statement, what the kick is for, and how it IS relevant in a polite fashion, then please do. No statement about the fate of my students is necessary.
    You seem to be involved in most arguments these days Ken so don't give me that BS!

Wong Shun Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Amazing...........
    Graham, what are your thoughts about the first few movements of the knife form as you practice and know it?

In the knife form you practice, do you view different sections as engaging with different ranges or length of reach of a weapon? For example, which sections do you see as designed to overcome longer ranged weapons such as a pole and which sections do you view as designed to overcome a closer ranged weapon, such as a short sword?

........and as usual nobody is asking any direct questions. They are merely trying to further their knowledge via internet trolling. I have no questions on Ving Tsun. My system is sound. No grey areas which is why it doesn't take me long to see through the BS.

I converse with Ip Man in my dreams

Wong Shun Leung.

=1..................
    Equals one. lol

And I just said Jackie Chan makes similar tricks work all the time. That's obviously proof in support of the kicking weapons away argument, or flipping knives up in the air with your feet so you can keep upright and fight.

Graham, what are your thoughts about the first few movements of the knife form as you practice and know it?

In the knife form you practice, do you view different sections as engaging with different ranges or length of reach of a weapon? For example, which sections do you see as designed to overcome longer ranged weapons such as a pole and which sections do you view as designed to overcome a closer ranged weapon, such as a short sword?
    Phew! At last!

The first few movements? Well it depends on certain situations and most answers were correct. Kind of. The kick is to create space (if required) so you can draw your weapons. There are a whole set of actions for development and tactical awareness dependent on engaging an opponent who has long and/or short weapons. Like the long pole the first actions are more for exercise than application.

In Ip Chuns form he is basically saying that you have enough time to punch the person away, draw the knives (whilst holding them in a very nice way) and move forward which is complete BS. He would be dead.

Wong Shun Leung.

As I practice it and know it is how it is. There is no time for stupid ideas as your opponent may be armed. If he has a gun its game over but a stick or a blade then you have a potential plan as long as you also have weapons.

The VT weapons do not necessarily mean butterfly knives or an 8ft pole. They mean long or short range weapons. Its a conceptual approach to weapon fighting in general based on VT theory.

Wong Shun Leung.

Well, like the empty hand stuff, WC weapons are part of a peculiar system.

8 foot long pole or a couple of odd knives as weapons........ go figure
    Not only un-obvious weapons, particularly the pole, but impractical.
    When the hell are you going to have either handy?????

Personally, i think they are there to compliment the training of the empty hand system

Others state that the knives were kept in the boot or about the lower leg, whilst others still will talk about being jumped and using your longest ranged body weapon to give you time to draw your own bladed weapon.
    This is the reason for the kick that I was told by one of Ip Chun's senior students.

Phew! At last!

The first few movements? Well it depends on certain situations and most answers were correct. Kind of. The kick is to create space (if required) so you can draw your weapons. There are a whole set of actions for development and tactical awareness dependent on engaging an opponent who has long and/or short weapons. Like the long pole the first actions are more for exercise than application.

In Ip Chuns form he is basically saying that you have enough time to punch the person away, draw the knives (whilst holding them in a very nice way) and move forward which is complete BS. He would be dead.
    On the first bit I place in bold we can see that we are in agreement and that it is the same as Ip Chun explains. On the second bit I place in bold, no, Ip Chun does not say this and it is more to do with the reasons I cite.

For the record KPM said the same about the kick;

HW I agree with you on both counts. One idea for the starting kick....you are surprised at close quarters and essentially "kick the opponent away" to make enough space to bring the knives into play. Another is that the knives are in a sheath on the lower leg and you are lifting up the leg to put the knives within reach rather than bending over to draw them. Another is that the kick is actually a deflection of a pole or spear thrust as you are bringing the knives into play from wherever you have them stashed.

But its just a form. Wing Chun forms are not a choreographed fight. So whether the form starts with a kick or a punch is irrelevant.
    But of course rather than say of KPM's post, 'hey I think the bit in bold is more the case', you ignored it and said;

This is actually a pretty ridiculous idea!

So you think that in a fight where weapons are drawn you would lift you leg up to bring your own knives into play? I'm glad I'm not your student. And you also think that if somebody is attacking you with a spear or pole that you would try and deflect it with a part of your body. Really KPM that is the most stupidest thing I've ever heard.

I feel sorry for you cheated students.
    ........and as usual nobody is asking any direct questions. They are merely trying to further their knowledge via internet trolling. I have no questions on Ving Tsun. My system is sound. No grey areas which is why it doesn't take me long to see through the BS.

I converse with Ip Man in my dreams
    Actually I did ask you a direct question when I gave you my thoughts about the kick and asked you to share your thoughts. Also, asking for your thoughts on the knife form more generally is a direct question, just an open one. Are you aware of the distinction between open and closed questions?

I am sorry to use quotes like this as it is commonly thought of as an aggressive and confrontational posting style. However, it does allow me to illustrate that you have a habit of not reading what people say and when you do, choosing to ignore the bits that are in agreement with your perspective so you can just take the p i s s , insult people and demean them. All of this BS and the disruption to this thread could have been avoided had you chosen to behave differently.