Thread: Zhao Kuangyin Ties Up his Robe

Zhao Kuangyin Ties Up his Robe

"Lazily Tie One's Coat" is the first move of Chen Family Taiji. General Qi Jiguang wrote about it in his Song Taizu's Thirty-Postures of Longfist.

During the Ming Dynasty there was a play where Zhao Kuangyin was depicted on stage fighting with some bullies. He would start the match by tying his coat as his opponent's would remove their shirts.

The play is like this; Shi Hong and his two sidekicks are bullying the owners of a wine shop Zhao Si, who is Kuangyin's uncle. One day Kuangyin is there with his friend Zheng En and they encounter the bullies and give them a beating.
    The following scene takes place as the bullies arrive at the wine shop.

Shi Hong, Beater-Bai and Snatcher-Hu outside the wine shop. Shi Hong says, "I am Shi Hong. We have arrived at the Zhao Family wine house. The other day I knocked down Zhao, brothers let's go pester him."
    Beater-Bai says, "Country-bumpkin, we are here, bring out the wine." He beats Little-Store-Two and says, "That is for giving me the cold shoulder you oily-mouthed glib talker."
    Zhao Kuangyin says, "Who is making all that noise?"
    Zhao Si says, "That group of condemned prisoners have arrived."
    Zhao Kuangyin says, "I want to see what type of men they are." Kuangyin looks at them and says, "Who are you making a disturbance? Coming here as usual to annoy us and cause trouble."
    Shi Hong stares at Zhao Kuangyin, "This is nothing for you to be concerned with. We are here for eating and drinking. You can bring wine for us to drink." Shi Hong, Beater-Bai and Snatcher-Hu drink.
    Zheng En says, "Brother, I can see that this bunch of big talkers are not short of money."
    Shi Hong says, "Who is a big talker? Brothers, let's beat up this servant." Beater-Bai and Snatcher-Hu remove their shirts.
    Zhao Kuangyin ties up his robe, "These servants are so without manners." Sings:
    He came over here in anger. One by one they take off their shirts. They won't admit defeat until beaten by me. Can you mount the clouds and ride the mist and speed across the sky.

The action is choreographed on stage between bouts of singing until the bullies are defeated and they return to fetch their master to get even with Kuangyin.

I suspect that the technique in Longfist and Taiji that is performed nowadays called "lazily tie ones coat"-which later came to be called "grasping sparrows tail" in Yang family taiji schools was influenced by these dramatic performances.

Because Praying Mantis specifically refers to the fight between Shi Hong's Master and Zhao Kuangyin it may also be that this move "lazily tie the coat" is or was part of praying mantis, but I don't know which move that it could be.

Any clues?

Quote Originally Posted by Tainan Mantis View Post
    Any clues?
    I've heard that the sequence seen on the clip below between 31 seconds to 33 seconds as being described like brushing or waving a loose jacket sleeve.

here is another example at 54 seconds to 56 seconds on the clip. Like I said, years ago someone described that movement sequence being related to a very loose jacket sleeve or untied jacket sleeve. Could that be the movement?

Thanks for posting those two videos.
    In schools of Seven Star Mantis I believe what you are referring to is tiao bao cha chui. I think that technique was called wo li pao in older documents.
    Wo li pao, dig out the cave- was attributed to master Cui Lian in the Eighteen Families document

Dig Out The Hole To Defeat Your Opponent

Body mechanics are similar to gwun pang, 10 and 12 in Plum Flower.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Gwun pang (shuang bang) is like tie the coat.

I don't think the taiji clip does a very good job of showing tying the coat…here is a much better example, which actually shows how to tuck up your robe if you are going to fight. Watch at the 28-29 second mark.

Graculus
    http://www.ichijoji.blogspot.com

in sabre tying coat is a salute and a sword drawing technique. it also appears in yagyu shinkage ryu. in boxing its a sucker punch and a salute.

most longfist forms open with a sucker punch like tying coat then retreat into a fighting stance like seven stars or balanced stance,
    Last edited by bawang; 07-01-2014 at 07:46 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC