Thread: The art of online discussion

Blog Entries

The art of online discussion

When you start a thread, you get many posts respond. What should you do after that?

If you

- respond to some posts, unless you agree with that person 100%, otherwise, people may think that you try to argue with them.
    - don't respond to some posts, people may think that you try to ignore them.

What's the proper way for online discussion? Your thought?
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    When you start a thread, you get many posts respond. What should you do after that?

If you

- respond to some posts, unless you agree with that person 100%, otherwise, people may think that you try to argue with them.
    - don't respond to some posts, people may think that you try to ignore them.

What's the proper way for online discussion? Your thought?
    If you want to be civilized, you can acknowledge points of agreement and disagreement, consider different perspectives, share alternative views, and thank people for posting their ideas.

It's ok not to agree 100%.

Otherwise it will be like talking to yourself, haha.

Also, if you don't agree with an idea, or don't see how it makes sense, then ask a question about it. One or the other person might change their idea.

Blog Entries
    Do you see any usage for a liberal tries to explain anything to a conservative if you already know that either side will not change his opinion?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-20-2014 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Do you see any usage for a liberal tries to explain anything to a conservative if you already know that either side will change his opinion?
    ------------------------------------------------
    either or neither?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ------------------------------------------------
    either or neither?
    neither.

If you believe that WC came from a certain mountain and I believe that WC has nothing to do with that mountain, is there any reason that kind of discussion should be continued?

If I like X but you say that you don't like X. I just can't find any good reason for me trying to explain to you the reason why I like X. I also don't care about the reason why you don't like X. No matter what reason that you may have, I still like X. When things happened like this, I just want to stop that discussion ASAP. Is this a correct attitude for online discussion?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-20-2014 at 10:25 PM.

Debate is important, not always constructive, but important none the less.

I have more respect for somebody who puts their ideas out there to be tested and scrutinized than some cat who spends all their time preaching to the choir. Some of the worlds greatest(and validated) ideas were met with scorn when first proposed.

If your only goal is to "win" and sway them to your side, then don't bother. But if you are actually interested in what people who don't agree with you have to say, then yeah you should totally engage with people on a topic you care about.
    I would like to add that you should engage the intelligent responders whether you agree or not and just ignore the idiots. If idiots get offended... such is life.

YKW,

When someone posts about anything, there can always be those who agree 100%, who partly agree, or who completely disagree. I wouldn't worry too much if someone disagrees; sometimes each side can have a productive conversation about it. As already mentioned, if somebody comes across like an idiot, the only thing to do is to ignore them. If the purpose is to convert the other to one's own views, it won't happen, or only very rarely. For many people, discussing MA is like discussing religion.

There are a lot of forum members whose opinions I respect, but I don't always agree with everything they say. That's life. I like to see why people see things the way they do, and sometimes I get to learn something new. Other times it only confirms my own views to myself. What's true and valid for one person often isn't for someone else. That doesn't invalidate it, it just means people's experiences and needs differ.

If it's clear to me that someone just likes to argue because they're overly sensitive or have inflated egos; or like to argue for argument's sake; or if they're maliciously trolling, I don't bother responding to or reading their posts anymore. Because there's nothing to be gained or learned from it.

I try my best to conduct myself online as I do face-to-face. If anything, I'm even more thoughtful online, since once you put something out there, it's there in some form forever. Plus, sometimes your true intent can be misconstrued with the printed word.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 06-21-2014 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    There are a lot of forum members whose opinions I respect, but I don't always agree with everything they say. That's life. I like to see why people see things the way they do, and sometimes I get to learn something new. Other times it only confirms my own views to myself. What's true and valid for one person often isn't for someone else. That doesn't invalidate it, it just means people's experiences and needs differ.

Word is bond.

My simple rule with online dialogue, don't call someone with a different opinion or view ignorant or brainwashed. Sorry but calling someone "ignorant" is not a very convincing argument. It's a cop out. It's lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuxia007 View Post
    My simple rule with online dialogue, don't call someone with a different opinion or view ignorant or brainwashed. Sorry but calling someone "ignorant" is not a very convincing argument. It's a cop out. It's lazy.
    Fact.

Some days, I go with YKW and ignore those comments, but every once in a while, I call it what it is, and the next day, ignore it again. Being considered smug by someone who daily insults people online is not something I feel bad about.