Thread: Drunken master vs Pankration

Blog Entries

Drunken master vs Pankration

Once again we see that even against a very unorthodox approach, the basics still are the most effective.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The drunk stepping in a tournament format was completely unnecessary and a waste of energy in my opinion.
    On the street, feigning drunkenness can be a tactical advantage. In a tourney fight where you are both contestants it's kind of pointless as the other guy knows you're not drunk. the whole point of pretending you're drunk is to unleash the tiger at the last minute to the suprised mofo that's hassling you. Just sayin...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The 'drunken style' guy can indeed fight well, but I also feel that the drunken movements were a waste in that format. It can look great in the movies, but I would think that trying to actually fight stylistically in that manner can become a distraction to the person doing it. Because half your focus is taken up by how you're keeping 'in style' and how you appear to the opponent (and probably the spectators, too).

In a real situation, feigning drunkenness or other disadvantaged state might work if done naturally and realistically, not in the stylized manner of drunken style, with the 'wine cup-holding' hand positions, etc.

In addition, I think that one of the common things in drunken is essentially slipping toward the rear and rebounding in, but I think it would work better by angling off(not always straight back) and making sure the hands were doing their part to open up the lunge forward. I don't think the problem is cup hands, but cup hands as a posture, versus using those hands to do what they are supposed to. He lunges back in without his hands making his entry safer. That said, I like watching drunken, and tactically, as others have stated, it is a fun concept to play with.

A nontypical approach cuts off a number of trained responses and combos. Makes your opponent have to become more cerebral and search for his timing. I think that strategy works well if you feel like your opponent is stronger than you. And flowing can use less energy if you are comfortable then if you are too tense.
    Pretty cool clip. I like watching mismatched styles. Even better with non typical rule sets from either guy's background
    --—••—--•--—••—–-
    Its only a problem if there is a solution
    ⚓️

I think cup hands as a posture lends it self to the bare hand flick jab, but the power of that strike is kinda wasted with mma sparring gloves
    --—••—--•--—••—–-
    Its only a problem if there is a solution
    ⚓️

drunken stepping is pretending to be rocked about taking a light punch. its not combat footwork.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™ฎLLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™ฎLLC