Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kung Fu Jungle aka Kung Fu Killer

Opens tomorrow

With 'Kung Fu Killer,’ Teddy Chen pays homage to stuntmen
    By G. Allen Johnson Published 6:41 pm, Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The climactic fight in the martial arts joyride “Kung Fu Killer” has Donnie Yen battling villain Wang Baoqiang on a busy Hong Kong highway, with cars and trucks ****zing by. At one point, Wang gets kicked into the path of a truck and seemingly certain death when Yen pulls him back, temporarily saving his life.

“We’re not finished yet!” he growls.

Director Teddy Chen, an industry veteran for more than 30 years, laughs when recalling the shooting of that scene.

“I always wanted to do something on a highway,” Chen said via Skype from Hong Kong. “I told Donnie Yen, 'It’s like two people fighting in a great sea, and it’s full of sharks and whales, so they’re in great danger. They not only want to kill each other, but they are in a dangerous situation.’”

Chen has been around since he was a script continuity assistant in the 1980s, working his way up the Hong Kong movie food chain until becoming a director in the 1990s — he is best known for the Jackie Chan film “The Accidental Spy” (2001). Yen, 51, also began in the ’80s and has been a martial arts star for 20 years. So it’s no wonder that “Kung Fu Killer” has an old-school feel to it.

Just good old-fashioned stunt work in a crackling action picture.

The plot: Mo (Yen), a kung fu master, is in prison for accidentally killing a man. But when a serial killer is targeting other martial arts masters in Hong Kong, he convinces Detective Luk (Charlie Yeung, an actress and singer who hit stardom in the 1990s and is in the midst of a comeback) to release him and assist her team on capturing the killer.

Chen said he intentionally made the film in an old-fashioned way as a tribute to the Hong Kong stuntmen he has known.

“I saw so many stuntmen get wounded, because at that time, there were not so many ways to protect stuntmen,” Chen said. “They have to fight with their guts. ... In the first action film I did as a director (1997’s “Downtown Torpedoes”), a stuntman was killed in an explosion scene. It almost made me leave the film business. I was so unhappy and sad.”

Chen, who was not at fault for the incident, said he turned to religion to help him cope. Although he has made different types of films, including action films, since the incident (“Bodyguards and Assassins,” from 2009, won best picture at the Hong Kong Film Awards), he specifically made “Kung Fu Killer” to pay homage to the most dangerous job in the film industry.

“I told myself, I have to make an action film as a gift to those stuntmen, as a respect for the last 30 years in the business,” Chen said. “That’s why the killer doesn’t use a gun or a knife; he uses kung fu.”

Yen, who has appeared in Zhang Yimou’s “Hero” and the popular “Ip Man” films, helped Chen, a pal for two decades, realize his goal. Yen was a martial artist first, then broke into acting, making a big impression in a fight scene with Jet Li in “Once Upon a Time in China II” (1992).

“He’s the best action (choreographer) in Hong Kong,” Chen said. “He’s worked in Hollywood productions, and he brought that new technology and brought it back to Hong Kong, and put it in his stunt design.”

So it seems “Kung Fu Killer” is a rough action film made with tender, loving, expert care.

G. Allen Johnson is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. E-mail: ajohnson@sfchronicle.com Twitter: @BRfilmsAllen

If you go

Kung Fu Killer: Starts Friday at Bay Area theaters.
    I'm really hoping to see this on the big screen but my schedule is really tight this week. Hopefully it'll stick around for a few weeks so I get the chance.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

IMO, this is an excellent movie, the best KF film out of HK or China in years. Donnie is still in top form, and Wang Baoqing is a worthy arch-villain. I like that it's filmed mostly in HK. In recent years, the movies filmed fully in China tend to look gray and gloomy.

It was fun spotting the many old-school KF actors/stars, including Meng Hai, Yuen Cheung-Yan, Sharon Yeung Pan-Pan, David Chiang, Tsui Siu-Ming, Tony Leung Siu-Hung, Yang Ching-Ching, and many others. There was even a cameo by Golden Harvest's Raymond Chow.

If I had any reservations at all, I would say that maybe Wang Baoqing's mannerisms could have been a bit less over-exaggerated. Sure he was a maniacal MA serial killer, but a little more understated might have been even more menacing. I think back to Hard Boiled (1992), and the co-villain Mad Dog, played by Phillip Kwok, a.k.a., Kuo Chui. Not overdone, but still menacing. But that's a small thing.

The end fight is another Donnie Yen blockbuster, with Wang Baoqing matching him move for move. Awesome and hazardous work, with cars and trucks buzzing by. I rate this a solid 5/5.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 04-25-2015 at 02:02 PM.

This stuff never makes it to our local theatres.

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

New ezine submission

Teddy Chen on KUNG FU KILLER by me.

We always endeavor to post our coverage on the day a film premieres. Unfortunately, Teddy Chen wasn't able to get to my questions until just last Monday, so this interview is a little tardy for us. My apologies.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our New Sweepstakes! Enter to win!

Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for KUNG FU KILLER on DVD!!! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 7/23/2015.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our winners are announced!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips