Thread: Chinese Wrestling vs. Western Wrestling

Blog Entries

Chinese Wrestling vs. Western Wrestling

One of my guys is a western wrestler for 15 years. Since now he knows both the "Chinese wrestling" and the "western wrestling", the following is a comparison between these 2 wrestling styles from his point of view.

Do you agree with his point of view?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is an overview of the primary differences in Western wrestling styles. In the USA there are 3 main branches:

1. Collegiate (also called folk style)
    2. Freestyle
    3. Greco-Roman

1. Collegiate is the college/high school style. The rules are different between college and high school regarding intensity, period length, overtime, and some scoring. In high/middle school the rules are per state. In college the rules are national.

2. Freestyle is an internationally practiced style. There is a little variance in scoring/rules depending on the year and from state to state. Freestyle is an olympic sport and FILA endorsed. FILA is the international federation of associated wrestling styles and they now cover some "combat" grappling forms. USA Wrestling also governs freestyle and greco here, and they now have beach wrestling, which is like BJJ. But not mainstream like Freestyle and Greco. Freestyle is an olympic style.

3. Gereco-Roman style is more popular in other countries compared to popularity of freestyle here. Greco is basically just freestyle with out use of legs. Greco is also an olympic sport, but America does not do as well in it in the olympics as they do in Freestyle.

Basic differences, in my opinion, having competed in the state, national, and college levels in collegiate/freestyle:

1. Collegiate/folk style is primarily concerned with dominance on the mat/ground, compared to the others. 2 points are awarded for any takedown, which is determined by control once both guys are on the mat. An escape back to standing is only worth 1 point. A reversal where the controlled man takes top control of the opponent is 2 points. In college there are points awarded for riding time. So if you get taken down, then get a reversal, then ride your opponent for 1 minute you get 1 point extra and win. Much of the time training is devoted to mat work: riding, tilting, pinning, reversal. A pin is a total win. To pin, the winner must demonstrate control of the opponent on his back (touching the mat flat) for about 3 seconds. Also, most throws are illegal in collegiate. In college you can be much rougher than in high school. But you must demonstrate total control through a "throw" or it is potentially dangerous and illegal. So rear embrace throw, leg blocking, and front cut, standing fireman's carry type of stuff is illegal in collegiate.

2. In freestyle, the game is about back exposure, and if both men are on the mat with no specific point moves being generated, the ref will stand both guys up quickly (about 10-15 seconds). In this style, points can be scored many ways, often before a takedown occurs. A leg block headlock done well would be a 5 point throw in freestyle, but you have to maintain contact with your opponent all the way to the mat to get those points. A rear embrace or standing fireman's or a bowing throw would also be 5 point throws if done well, 4 if not. If you did a bowing throw just like in shuai chiao but remained standing you would get 2 points for back exposure on your opponent, but would not get the extra points for the takedown, control, or finesse. If you did a single leg, then sweep the remaining leg so the opponent falls to his back, then fall on him that would be a 3 point takedown. 1 for the takedown, 2 for back exposure. Also, if you are on the mat, then roll your opponent over even if you don't have takedown control you still get 2 points for exposing your opponents back to the mat. A pin in freestyle is also a total victory, but in freestyle you only have to touch your opponents inner shoulder blades to the mat for a split second to score a pin. So in freestyle there really are no true sacrifice throws, and one good headlock without the root can be an instant win. So in collegiate if a guy shoots a double leg, you sprawl, grind his face to the mat, then hope to get behind him to score a takedown. In freestyle you borrow his force, throw him over your shoulder with a front headlock or crotch throw and score 2 points instantly.

3. Greco-Roman is basically just freestyle wrestling, but you cannot use your legs or touch your opponents legs. Basically Greco is to Freestyle what boxing is to Muy Thai.

This is a freestyle match. The USA guy taught me my stand up technique. Notice his response to the leg shooting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VsvzYeOQUlE

This is a collegiate response to double leg, and illustrates the different focus compared to freestyle. Andy, the guy in blue was one of my training partners in high school. He did a lot of freestyle. And his headlock is the most that is allowed in a collegiate match. A full throw would have been illegal.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx3XKQ7Mq10

Wrestlers paid to keep them out of mma and competing for the olympics.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/05/sp...ling.html?_r=0

One wrestlers outlook. I agree, wrestling is a tougher sport than mma.

http://www.jordanburroughs.com/blog/...instead-of-mma
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-24-2014 at 09:22 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Great post.

Need sometime to digest or process.

its so interesting that almost every nation has its wrestling style.
    im in turkey,this year 652th traditional wrestling competition will be held.And there were greeks helding it hundred years ago before turks came.
    most worldwide m.a. is wrestling.
    The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up ~ Mohammed Ali

This is more of a comparison between the 3 primary subclassifications of western wrestling. There is nothing explicit being stated here on Chinese wrestling. The reader is left to infer the differences based on what they may or may not know of Chinese wrestling.

I'm also not sure what we are supposed to be agreeing or disagreeing with. The comparison between the 3 subclasses? Sure, seems like a basic outlay of rule sets. Paying a medal fund? Not really an argument, to agree or disagree with. Its just an incentive to compete. And really, since IOC has reclassed wrestling as a non-core sport, it may no longer be in the olympics after 2020 summer games. It will be tentative on an event by event basis. So its potentially a lost cause.

The only real opinion statement in the OP is at the end, regarding whether or not wrestling is a "tougher" sport than MMA. MMA you face immediate injury from strikes. Rules outlined in the OP are not in MMA. So in that regard, I disagree with the statement, "wrestling is a tougher sport than MMA." Due to a more relaxed rule set, there are more ways you can be injured in MMA.

Now if by tough, we mean difficult. I also have to disagree. If we compare average to average, MMA requires average in more skills. Comparing elite to elite? There aren't any olympic medal wrestlers holding MMA titles in the UFC (since UFC in general is viewed to have the best talent in MMA). But this is a dubious comparison at best. Is it more difficult to be super elite in 1 skill, or very elite in multiple? What is the difference in skill level between gold medalist and silver medalist? Is this consistent on a games by games basis, considering they only occur every 4 years. Whereas MMA has fights every few months. By what metric are we to compare relative difficulty? And this is also a tangent to the stated goal of the thread.

If the purpose is to compare western to Chinese wrestling, I'd suggest presenting a synopsis on Chinese wrestling hitting the same major points that were in the breakdown of western wrestling.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    I'm also not sure what we are supposed to be agreeing or disagreeing with.
    Not all threads need to get into argument. The difference between these 3 WW styles is quite interested. To me, I like to see the similarity between SC and WW and not the difference.

Yeah, the title notwithstanding, as general information for those who don't know, it is useful, as is SoCo's comments on them.

Sometimes, just discussing another approach to things is an achievement in internet kung fu history.

Milo the Great

I agree. A lot of people dont know the story of Milo the great.
    However, one thing lacking from most forms of western wrestling is an answer for striking. Wrestlers/shuai chiao guys can break into and out of ranges and find angles and pockets much more quickly and surely than i think most any other type of martial art, but western wrestling only can absorb striking, then break into a safer range. Shuai chiao, however, can be used at a ****her range than western wrestling and it's attacks address the likelihood of knees, kicks, and punches while moving in or in the middle of a throw. Shuai chiao also can deal better with a more upright opponent while still including legs. But what wrestling has that i dont think any other art is as skilled with is the ability to get back up immediately. It may not appear that way in the media, but if a wrestler is coached to avoid remaining on the ground with anyone in a fight for more than a few seconds, he can readily do that. Wrestlers feel more comfortable on the ground compared to having to stand up with a guy striking them. But then they have to play with the bjj guy. If they were more comfortable dealing with a striker, i think most wrestlers would not stay on the ground hardly at all in a fight. But also a wrestler can't finish a move and remain standing as well as a shuai chiao guy.

it may no longer be in the olympics after 2020 summer games. It will be tentative on an event by event basis. So its potentially a lost cause.

The only real opinion statement in the OP is at the end, regarding whether or not wrestling is a "tougher" sport than MMA. MMA you face immediate injury from strikes. Rules outlined in the OP are not in MMA. So in that regard, I disagree with the statement, "wrestling is a tougher sport than MMA." Due to a more relaxed rule set, there are more ways you can be injured in MMA.
    1. If wrestling gets dropped from the olympics that wont stop the world championships every year, or the US or European Open, etc...

2. As a wrestler by the time i was 15 i had my liver lacerated twice, spleen once, the top vertebrate on my spine slightly seperated from my skull (still is, i have pics!), both thumbs ripped out of socket, and i wont mention muscle damage or bloody noses or gums cause its just par for the course. My senior year of high school i sent guys to the ER 5 times, all doing legal moves. I didn't get a penalty. But the comment about toughness is a common saying among wrestlers directed towards wrestlers, not to start problems. It's regarding the training more than the competition, like we all know how rough it was and thats what makes us like a brotherhood.
    --—••—--•--—••—–-
    Its only a problem if there is a solution
    ⚓️

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Not all threads need to get into argument. The difference between these 3 WW styles is quite interested. To me, I like to see the similarity between SC and WW and not the difference.
    When I say "argument" in this thread, I refer to it as analogous to saying statement or position. You asked if we agreed with his thoughts, I just wasn't sure to what we are to be analyzing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipefighter View Post
    1. If wrestling gets dropped from the olympics that wont stop the world championships every year, or the US or European Open, etc...

2. As a wrestler by the time i was 15 i had my liver lacerated twice, spleen once, the top vertebrate on my spine slightly seperated from my skull (still is, i have pics!), both thumbs ripped out of socket, and i wont mention muscle damage or bloody noses or gums cause its just par for the course. My senior year of high school i sent guys to the ER 5 times, all doing legal moves. I didn't get a penalty. But the comment about toughness is a common saying among wrestlers directed towards wrestlers, not to start problems. It's regarding the training more than the competition, like we all know how rough it was and thats what makes us like a brotherhood.
    1) Point 1 goes back to financial incentive. If wrestling is dropped from the olympics, no more medal fund.

2) All of which can happen in MMA (or any sport with intense grappling really). Then throw in all the potential injuries from striking and/or cranking subs. Its just math, more weapons involved = more ways to be hurt.

Blog Entries
    You asked if we agreed with his thoughts, I just wasn't sure to what we are to be analyzing.
    It's just my way of saying, "All opinions are welcomed" and also to say this is not "I talk and you listen" type of thread. So, say whatever that you may like. Take this thread into any direction that you may like. Since Pipefighter has more experience in WW than I have, I'll let him to answer all WW questions.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-25-2014 at 09:58 PM.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Its just math, more weapons involved = more ways to be hurt.
    I wrestled through HS, did MA's and mma after HS. Any contact fighting/grappling is tough or can be pushed to a harsher level. But I wouldn't say wrestling is tougher than mma, kind of a stupid comparison considering a lot of movement taught in mma are taken from wrestling and many of the drills are wrestling oriented. are we comparing the toughness in learning either set? or are we comparing the overall balls it takes to struggle through one or the other?
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

I think the toughness comment by a responder to the online blog that got repeated in the post is the least important part. But,

One thing to mention is high school wrestling is not remotely close to the intensity and force of college wrestling, in training or competition. And the level following college that even fewer guys ever reach is a step past that. And most guys in high level mma with a wrestling background are college level guys at least. Of course there are some good fighters who wrestled in high school and not in college. I have never put anyone in a coma from a full contact fight. I have in a wrestling match, and i felt bad since i didnt expect that would be the result of my move. You don't get to tap in a wrestling match. You can writhe in agony and they cant stop it. At least they did the favor of instituting scream points my last year of high school to try and afford some mercy.

Also wrestling is extremely different in different areas. An ohio, illinois, or michigan wrestler will have had a vastly training experience from a number of other states, at the high school level alone. Consider where most of the ex college wrestlers in the UFC came from, Dan Severn, Kevin Jackson, Brock Lesner, Rshad Evans, Matt Hughes, etc... Also consider how wrestling, which is technically not considered a m.a. has no striking form was the only non m.a. represented in the early days of ufc, with many wrestlers having virtually no striking training at all back then. And percentage wise i think more cauliflower ear in the US comes from wrestling than MMa. To my knowledge no one has dropped dead from training for mma without some stimulant involved. Nor has an mma guy died by suffocation from their spit glad over swelling due to training practice, cutting weight. Both happened in wrestling.

But seriously, the post is more informative about some similarities and differences between Shuai Chiao and Wrestling common to the US. The two styles have more in common than most people know, though the rules are vastly different and they look different on the surface.
    I find it very interesting how wrestling shares virtually the same footwork as shuai chiao, though they have different danger ranges. They are more common in foot work than i think either are with judo. They also share the same foot work platform with escrima, though each art has a different objective and range they are shooting for.
    Two completely separate parts of the world, yet such similarity. Very interesting to discover
    --—••—--•--—••—–-
    Its only a problem if there is a solution
    ⚓️