Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Socrates practiced QiGong!

Quote Originally Posted by rett2 View Post
    Zinc? You think that's zinc? Zinc is an hcp metal. Do you think that looks like a single-species trigonal unit cell? What axis are you looking along?

It’s cubic viewed along [111] the threefold symmetry axis. This is the zinc-blende structure, a cubic unit cell of zinc sulphide. It's also one of the most basic reference structures. It's probably the threefold symmetry that threw you off (three... hexagonal.... easy mistake to make). Happens to sophmores typically.
    congratulations

is there a prize for stumping SoCo?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Yes and no. I really just didn't care to go into the detail at this point. ZnS is the most common natural form of Zn, is it not? Wee fun quiz, its been years since I looked at this stuff actually. I'm a biologist, my association with chem is supplementary. Don't give away which element is comprised in another of your images. That'd be no fun for others.
    You didn't care to go into detail. I see. You consider it ok to speak generally and not worry about distinguishing between basic terms and getting too technical.

Well I agree. It's totally okay to do that. We can have a much more interesting discussion that way. I'm looking forward.

Since we're getting into pictures. Crystal, memory, pretty images oh myyy...

This is the subject of exactly 1 paragraph in a cell biol text I own which is comprised of over 1200 pages. Its implicated in long term potentiation, and thus, related to behavioral memory.

Name:  1HKX_bio_r_250.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  20.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Faux Newbie View Post
    To be honest, I do think it is the case that memory does affect judgment and causality, I only differ in that I don't think it reduces determinism, but adds elements to causal chains that define it in other ways. Although the object in memory is not "real" (though the electrical impulses and sections of the brain that contain that judgment are real), it is treated as real and may thus be acted upon. We think the bad girlfriend from years past will be fun for one more go, we convince ourselves it will be fine based on old memories, and next thing we know, we have seventy texts a day and a goat's head nailed to our door.
    The problem is that your approach seems to assume that all agency is conscious agency. What about subconscious agency? If it is influenced by memory, how?

Quote Originally Posted by rett2 View Post
    You didn't care to go into detail. I see. You consider it ok to speak generally and not worry about distinguishing between basic terms and getting too technical.

Well I agree. It's totally okay to do that. We can have a much more interesting discussion that way. I'm looking forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCo
    Yes and no.
    You are bordering closely to the realm of strawman. Check yourself

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    The problem is that your approach seems to assume that all agency is conscious agency. What about subconscious agency? If it is influenced by memory, how?
    That's a good point. To which I have no answer, since I don't know the link between memory and the subconscious. Interesting.

One issue I would say in relation is that, since we equate free will with conscious decision, I'm not sure that the agency of the subconscious mind can be considered free will, instead of just another cause causing effect on the conscious mind and determining choices.

congratulations

is there a prize for stumping SoCo?
    He gets one freeby. Which he potentially already used up, haven't decided on that one yet.

Name:  47113-004-EE88DE20.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  32.2 KB

Beautiful...
    問「武」。曰:「克。」未達。曰:「勝己之私之謂克。」

That's a good point. To which I have no answer, since I don't know the link between memory and the subconscious. Interesting.

One issue I would say in relation is that, since we equate free will with conscious decision, I'm not sure that the agency of the subconscious mind can be considered free will, instead of just another cause causing effect on the conscious mind and determining choices.
    And since we can't quantify consciousness we can't determine the degree to which the unconscious influences the conscious (I'm willing to bet its close to 90%). The unconscious is likely where behavioral conditioning is expressed (if it is 'expressed' at any level of consciousness at all) and that could be considered memory.

A man buys a nice car, not because he likes nice cars but because he knows women like nice cars. Conscious agency in a complex casual chain driven by the subconscious expression of a biological drive, mitigated by behavioral conditioning (memory?).

Memory conditions unfreewill.

QED BITCHES

He gets one freeby. Which he potentially already used up, haven't decided on that one yet.
    I think he lucked out that this segment of "What the Bleep Does 人大海 Know" happened to center on his area of professional expertise.

I can play too,

In the programming language of your choice write a function that takes an NxN array and rotates it 90 degrees clockwise.

And since we can't quantify consciousness we can't determine the degree to which the unconscious influences the conscious (I'm willing to bet its close to 90%). The unconscious is likely where behavioral conditioning is expressed (if it is 'expressed' at any level of consciousness at all) and that could be considered memory.

A man buys a nice car, not because he likes nice cars but because he knows women like nice cars. Conscious agency in a complex casual chain driven by the subconscious expression of a biological drive, mitigated by behavioral conditioning (memory?).

Memory conditions unfreewill.

QED BITCHES
    I would agree. Even what memory comes up may be driven by unconscious processes.

We are robots that poop. In Japan, they are already replacing us with robots that poop cute animals.

In the programming language of your choice write a function that takes an NxN array and rotates it 90 degrees clockwise.
    I really hate you guys. Can't a guy just meditate without involving chemistry and programming?

I think he lucked out that this segment of "What the Bleep Does 人大海 Know" happened to center on his area of professional expertise.

I can play too,

Possibly, given the entire 3 posts of this individual's existence are directed toward yours truly (should I be blushing?)

That said, this is the process. I "cross train" in chemistry and physics and logic and philosophy [I don't consider logic and phi to be the same; personally (and I guess this could be another thread) I consider all the above to be subsets of logic, but anyways] and math (well to be fair math is the MMA to my kung fu, aka it makes me its b!tch). Its just that chem is the medium for which the laws of physics express themselves biologically. I'm not a professional chemist by any stretch. Which sort of puts to task the ludicrous notion that laypersons cannot engage a subject at its technical level.

The only programming language I am vaguely familiar with is one section of c++ years ago. Damn you unfreewill! Damn you! I did finally manage to apply enough math to crank out a basic dynamic state bioenergetics model. Granted it wasn't really programming, more an interpretive language.
    Last edited by SoCo KungFu; 07-10-2014 at 09:06 AM.

I would agree. Even what memory comes up may be driven by unconscious processes.

We are robots that poop. In Japan, they are already replacing us with robots that poop cute animals.
    Yes, so how exactly does the subconscious utilize memory when it's ordering the conscious mind to fuck, eat and shit?

The behavioral conditioning = memory is a conflation of declarative memory / procedural memory / hardwired behaviors. Neuro-biologically we know almost as little about memory as we do about consciousness.

I "cross train" in chemistry and physics and logic and philosophy [I don't consider logic and phi to be the same; personally (and I guess this could be another thread) I consider all the above to be subsets of logic, but anyways] and math (well to be fair math is the MMA to my kung fu, aka it makes me its b!tch).
    Modern analytical philosophy and computer science can both be reduced to mathematical logic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambda_calculus