Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Response to the Thai clinch, aka double neck tie

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    do u train ur neck good

worst case scenario if u cant out tech him add special exercises address weak muscle groups
    Traditional MT trains hanging a weight from the neck and lifting it, (or you can let a child hand off your neck in clinch position.)
    Also tying a weight to a rope and lifting with the rope clenched between your teeth and the jaw tightened.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

The whole video is nice but watch it from minute 30:15

This move.
    Headlock around MT clinch. Will try and post some different angles if available.

Anybody have a good counter to this move if applied with full power?
    Last edited by Pipefighter; 07-04-2014 at 12:08 AM.
    --—••—--•--—••—–-
    Its only a problem if there is a solution
    ⚓️

I get it now. I just call this a wrestlers clinch. It's a little deeper than with just one hand cupped around the back of the neck but the counter should be the same. This might be hard to explain but I'll try so go easy on me.

The guy on the left needs to turn his head to his right so they are both cheek to cheek and facing the same direction. Then the guy on the left works for a bear hug while using his left leg to step deep between the legs of the guy on the right. The guy on the left sort of walks it forward a little and then pulls down while circling to the right to get the takedown. Even though the guy on the left has his right arm trapped he should still be able to reach his forearm over the top of the elbow of the guy on the right and since he is in a headlock his left arm will be able to reach way behind. Grab behind using a gable or s grip.

This clinch is a good technique. You have many directions to go from there. I'll enjoy reading others opinions on a counter to this clinch.

Edit: What I posted above needs to be done super quick, especially forcing the leg between the other guys so it'll block the hip toss or sweep from the guy applying the headlock.
    Last edited by GoldenBrain; 07-04-2014 at 07:00 PM.

I follow you. Basically, your saying, at first turn with the head locking arm to slip your arm out and free it so you could counter it like it is a normal headlock, in essence. Correct if I'm wrong.

From this angle it is a bit hard to see what's going on with the far arm. In that earlier shuai chiao clip doing a pulling throw against a MT clench, notice how the guy doing the pulling throw pushes his shoulder in to get the opponents elbow to angle in? That same thing is happening with this headlock, however, using only the shoulder doesn't have much momentum or angle for leverage. Using the headlock in a haymaker style sweep around the head forces the opponents elbow inward while trapping the hand with your own neck/head. The pressure on that shoulder is very noticeable. If he is wearing full sized gloves and you like him you want to be cautious how hard you twist because that hand is seriously trapped.

If the opponent is standing more upright and straight armed the head locking part is less crucial since you can just throw him with out as tight of a headlock. This type of headlock attack i needed for when a guy is very strong and using a clinch to throw you down or drag your nose into his forehead. The video clip is a demo, not using full power. I haven't seen anybody else really use it, but i have found it to be a completely effective response to a very powerful MT clinch, or double neck tie.
    --—••—--•--—••—–-
    ⚓️

Quote Originally Posted by Pipefighter View Post

Anybody have a good counter to this move if applied with full power?
    Have you seen the video I posted? That's the way thais counter the clinch, you can see it in many MT fights.

I follow you. Basically, your saying, at first turn with the head locking arm to slip your arm out and free it so you could counter it like it is a normal headlock, in essence. Correct if I'm wrong.
    You're right, that's what my tired end of the day brain was working to explain.

The clench you have is really tight so that's all I have right now until I play with it a bit during sparring.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Córdoba View Post
    Have you seen the video I posted? That's the way thais counter the clinch, you can see it in many MT fights.
    I watched all the clips posted. I didn't see anyone in the clip throw a hard headlock or a MT guy respond to that headlock. I really don't try to clinch with a guy at this point, other than to practice. I use a headlock when my opponent uses a clinch.

I have found this to completely successful in stopping a Thai clinch, and high % for getting the throw if i use it on a striker or MMA guy. It's a headlock and then a throw.
    But i don't want to put overconfidence in a move if there is a counter to it in some art that i don't know. Also, i think this is a good move for guys who know the headlock to use if they cross train with MT or MMA or San Da guys who use that clinch.

So my question is about countering the headlock when it is done around a clinch
    --—••—--•--—••—–-
    ⚓️

I watched all the clips posted. I didn't see anyone in the clip throw a hard headlock or a MT guy respond to that headlock. I really don't try to clinch with a guy at this point, other than to practice. I use a headlock when my opponent uses a clinch.

I have found this to completely successful in stopping a Thai clinch, and high % for getting the throw if i use it on a striker or MMA guy. It's a headlock and then a throw.
    But i don't want to put overconfidence in a move if there is a counter to it in some art that i don't know. Also, i think this is a good move for guys who know the headlock to use if they cross train with MT or MMA or San Da guys who use that clinch.

So my question is about countering the headlock when it is done around a clinch
    firstly that's not a Thai clinch its some guy hanging off your neck, there is a big difference between those two things your opponent isn't controlling your neck properly or the space with his elbows, he isn't moving you around or throwing strikes he is basically grabbing your neck badly and waiting for you to do your thing secondly reach around anyone with a half decent clinch game like that and they will abandon the Thai clinch slip under your arm (as the elbow is high) bodylock and take you for a ride
    there is a good reason why none of those clips show anything like what you are talking about

Personally, I find head locks sort of stupid and low level.. they frequently just don't work

In a double neck tie/muay thai position, you won't get a head lock on me...

there are numerous other reasons that head locks don't work, I grabbed about a minute from one of my DVD's on why

Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

firstly that's not a Thai clinch its some guy hanging off your neck,
    You realize that video clip is an excerpt from a shuai chiao demo. In shuai chiao if you stand straight up like a Thai fighter you are virtually defenseless against a number of trips/throws. It doesn't make sense to a SC guy to demo that move on a true Thai stance.
    I know a Thai guy is standing upright, working for knees and elbows and not hanging off the neck, but i figured you could see the basic idea of the entry and try it.
    I wasn't speculating when i described the headlock. I have effectively used it in MMA sparring, BJJ rolling, Sanda sparring, and other grappling venues. The MT clinch is obviously a part of more arts than just MT. I was intending to address it in a broad spectrum rather than just saying "in a Thai Kickboxing match against a Thai guy who is only dealing with Thai kickboxing intentions, rules, and forms..."

I only call it a MT clinch instead of a double neck tie because MT clinch is more commonly recognized across the board
    --—••—--•--—••—–-
    ⚓️

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Personally, I find head locks sort of stupid and low level.. they frequently just don't work

Can you explain the mechanics for why not?

The headlock in your post is using hip throw footwork and making it a leverage throw, not a structure breaking throw. I agree that using the head to do a hip throw is generally ineffective at on reasonably trained guys. Also, that style of "headlock" entry leaves way to much time for your opponent to do early prevention. His head is stationary while your hips have to break the plane of his, then pop the throw. That makes you dynamic and gives him time to think. Even that style of throw doesn't move his head much, it moves his legs a lot. It isn't a dynamic throw. The headlock is a dynamic throw. But i don't consider that to be a headlock, but a hip throw using the head.

A headlock should hit the side of the neck like a freight train, bend the body sideways initially, not forward. And when i finish i don't pop with my hips. The opponents head is in continuous movement throughout the throw, which makes it more dynamic.
    --—••—--•--—••—–-
    ⚓️

You realize that video clip is an excerpt from a shuai chiao demo. In shuai chiao if you stand straight up like a Thai fighter you are virtually defenseless against a number of trips/throws. It doesn't make sense to a SC guy to demo that move on a true Thai stance.
    I know a Thai guy is standing upright, working for knees and elbows and not hanging off the neck, but i figured you could see the basic idea of the entry and try it.
    I wasn't speculating when i described the headlock. I have effectively used it in MMA sparring, BJJ rolling, Sanda sparring, and other grappling venues. The MT clinch is obviously a part of more arts than just MT. I was intending to address it in a broad spectrum rather than just saying "in a Thai Kickboxing match against a Thai guy who is only dealing with Thai kickboxing intentions, rules, and forms..."

I only call it a MT clinch instead of a double neck tie because MT clinch is more commonly recognized across the board
    ok show it working against a proper double neck tie, not a friend hanging of your neck who isnt moving you around, framing on you with his elbows and ragging your head around
    and the response to your move i described is an MMA one not a thai one, a thai response would be to move the hand from your neck to control the bicep of the incoming arm and knee the crap out of your exposed ribs,
    In MMA reach around anyone heads when they have a double neck tie on you and they will take your back and dump you, which is why you dont see the headlock response to th thai plum anywhere in MMA where you can do all the takedowns you are talking about in response to a good double neck tie,

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post

there are numerous other reasons that head locks don't work, I grabbed about a minute from one of my DVD's on why

nice, liking those vids
    I guess we are who we are

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    ok show it working against a proper double neck tie, not a friend hanging of your neck who isnt moving you around, framing on you with his elbows and ragging your head around
    and the response to your move i described is an MMA one not a thai one, a thai response would be to move the hand from your neck to control the bicep of the incoming arm and knee the crap out of your exposed ribs,
    In MMA reach around anyone heads when they have a double neck tie on you and they will take your back and dump you, which is why you dont see the headlock response to th thai plum anywhere in MMA where you can do all the takedowns you are talking about in response to a good double neck tie,
    If you haven't even taken the time to attempt the move one time and see what is happening, why should I take the time to give you a detailed explanation? Obviously you haven't gone through the motions of the move or you would know that the standard "head cirlcling/elbow pushing" into "rear embrace" will not work in that situation.
    I don't search for a move that isn't there. If a guy is throwing knees to my ribs he is offering me his balance for free. getting a successful trip is effortless at that point if you spend most of your training time on trips and throws. Getting the headlock requires a lot of practice to learn the headlock first. But i bet there are a lot of guys who use the headlock on this site and maybe hadn't thought of using it around a double neck tie/clinch.
    If you think that you are invulnerable to being thrown by a combat shuai chiao guy because your unbalancing ability is superior, your knees are too fast, and your knowledge of headlock counters is more exhaustive, then the last thing i want to do is change your mind!!
    --—••—--•--—••—–-
    ⚓️