Thread: Question about different grappling styles/schools

Mr. Nemo Guest

Question about different grappling styles/schools

I've had some experience in doing what you could call "miscellaneous submission grappling" when I was in San Diego over last summer. A guy in escondido basically had an open mat in his house - he was a bjj blue belt who'd also learned some catchwrestling at various Cecchine seminars. I rolled with him, a couple other bjj guys, and a guy who'd trained shoot wrestling somewhere in japan.

Here's what I learned about myself: I'm not very good with the closed guard. My guard is easily passed and not very dangerous. Open guard I mostly use to shove the guy away and try to get up.

Top position, on the other hand, I'm very good at. I have good balance, an instinctive understanding of when and where to post, and by the end of the summer, I could hold side mount on the blue belt (a guy that weighed around 210 lbs.) for as long as I wanted and even try a couple of submissions from there. My full mount was less stable, but still pretty good. Long story short, I prefer the top position and hate being on my back.

Now I'm up in LA, and until recently was a dead broke college student. I've made a few budgetary adjustments and can afford to go to some kind of sub grappling school. What I want is one that will put more emphasis on the "wrestling" end and less on the "grappling" end. Problem is, I understand many wrestling-style schools kind of pretend the guard doesn't exist, and never learn how to deal with it, and as a result, get subbed from the bottom a lot against a good bjj stylist.

I'd like to find a school that doesn't put as much emphasis on guard as bjj, since the top comes more naturally to me, and since I'll be doing some freestyle wrestling as well (next semester my schedule opens up and I can train with the wrestling club at USC. Oh, and I live in LA. Can someone help me out?

Ryu Guest
    Sounds like you fight kinda like I do :D
    My guard is not as good as my mount, crossbody, and especially kamishiho (north and south)
    Recently I've been working and drilling knee on stomach too.
    My guard is okay, (enough to usually reverse, and sweep even a Black belt judoka) but I hate being down there, and sometimes a good guard passer has no problem getting through :D Then it becomes mount and side mount escapes (which I'm good at)

I'd say go for judo! :D Seriously, they will not focus on the guard as much as BJJ since they are not only trying to get subs but pin their opponents like wrestlers.

Good old fashioned Collegiate wrestling is another one I'd definately recommend for top skills.

Take care,
    Ryu

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

soy Guest
    There is a good judo school at the ymca something in west los angeles. It's at the one on sawtelle right around santa monica and such.. right around all those asian resturaunts. I hear the judo class is actually free, and it's supposedly a very good class. I've never attended it though.

LEGEND Guest
    Mr. Nemo...do they have LION's DEN academy there??? I doubt it...but they train with an emphasis or striking in the guard...in my personal opinion...learn to control the biceps and of your opponent when in their guard! The only submission u should watchout for is the armbars and triangles and various sweeps! While in the guard...u can strike...

A

Merryprankster Guest
    I like Ryu's answer.

However, there's also nothing that says that you can't go to a BJJ school and learn to be a top fighter.

Water Dragon Guest
    Judo, if you hate the bottom so much, Judo gives you a good way to control how you end up on the greond. You can throw the guy and then jump on top of them.

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

Mr. Nemo Guest
    Thanks for the replies. I hadn't really looked into judo - of course, I'd want a judo school that practiced plenty of groundfighting.

The options I'm looking at are bjj (machado or torrance, most likely), gokor's school, and shoot wrestling at Inosanto's. The shoot wrestling I think puts a good deal of emphasis on the top game, I'm not sure what Gokor's teaching is like, I'll probably watch a class a week from monday.

Wrestling is good, but I also want something that deals with submissions.

Brad Souders Guest
    GOKOR ;)

Tapped Out