Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Against "cross training"

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    I also have black belts with 2 different jiujitsu organizations, but I do not mix them with wing chun. Both are solid principle based systems that would suffer if you started forsaking the very principles that make them what they are.
    You can't possibly be serious. Tell me you're just screwing around.

Because you have to realize how dumb this sound. You have to realize that being so locked into applying the principles of one style that you cannot apply the principles of another just means that you're probably autistic. You do realize that right?

Blog Entries
    Training any other inferior system ...
    I used to think that the

- "parrying mantis" is the best system because the maximum speed generation.
    - "Baji" is the best system because the maximum power generation.
    - "Zimen" is the best system because the finger tips pressure point striking.

After I have cross trained all 3, I realized that there is no such thing as the best system. If there is no best system, there is no "inferior system".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-16-2014 at 07:56 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If there is no best system, there is no "inferior system".

Well...there is at least ONE inferior system:

Quote Originally Posted by donjitsu2 View Post
    You can't possibly be serious. Tell me you're just screwing around.

Because you have to realize how dumb this sound. You have to realize that being so locked into applying the principles of one style that you cannot apply the principles of another just means that you're probably autistic. You do realize that right?
    ]
    It has pretty much been established that Lee is full of it or is one of the biggest troll here, either way do NOT take anything he says seriously.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Hello,

I am a Wing Chun practitioner and have been for a fair number of years.
    I started out in Judo and obtained a BB when I was 13.
    I started working for a local company when I was about 15 or so and one of the workers there was from Hong Kong.
    One day he put me on my but a few times while we were messing around and I asked what he used and he told me Wing Chun.
    Short story is he taught me a bit before returning to Hong Kong.

I then entered the U.S. Army and using the station of choice option got stationed in Ft. Lewis and trained in Wing Chun Under Roy Undem in Seattle. Roy was of the Augustine Fond lineage but had also trained in Hung Gar. I was then sent to Germany and trained in the Leung Ting version of Wing Tsun. After returning to the states I continued my WT and even had the opportunity to live with my Sifu, Allan Fong, on Staten Island for a few years. After leaving WT I have since been affiliated with Sifu Chung Kwok Chow of NYC.

During my time in WC/WT I have also trained in Pekiti Tirsia Kali under a student of Leo Gaje. I have also trained in Hsing Yi as well as American Kuntao Silat with a focus on Malabar Silat. I would also like to point out that in WT there is cross training in Latosa Escrima as an accepted part training.

I agree with what was posted earlier by JIMBO; traditionally one was expected to cross train. In fact, there was, I believe, an agreement that those training in Pakua would also learn Hsing Yi and vice versa. The issue, as previously stated is with the lack of a foundation prior to learning and adapting other systems to your skill set.

I believe, and this is just my opinion, that many who practice today, not just Wing Chun although we seem to be some of the most vocal, do not spend enough time to really understand their system and build a firm foundation. Instead, they constantly look for shortcuts or jump from one lineage to another in hopes that they will find the secret “Holy Grail” of combat. As I point out to my students, there really are no secrets but to practice and put in the time and effort to learn.

With the proper strongly built foundation then one is able to adapt other things into their system, if they so desire. But without that firm foundation and a deeper understanding of their core system, nothing added will bring any value. When one does have that core foundation, and the art is theirs then one can apply differing things within the framework of their core system.

So the main point of this lengthy post is to point out that not all Wing Chun people are against cross training. It is just that so many who practice Wing Chun really have no foundation on which to build which results not only in bad Wing Chun but poor cross training as well.

This is just my opinion though and I could be wrong. I have been known to be wrong before.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

I may indeed be autistic, or retarded. I certainly don't think like an old man. I stated training at 10 years of age and was lucky enough to turn 69 this very month. I figure I have been a wing chun practitioner now for longer than most of you have existed.
    Most of you talk about cross training in a way that you can use 2 different systems at the very same time. This could work I guess with the other styles of kung fu, but wing chun is completely different from the others. Things are done and not done as a matter of principal. You start adding moves that are not compliant with certain principals you tend to neutralize workability. It is possible to train a different martial system, just as long as you are not trying to combine it with what you already have. Center line fighting does not necessarily mix well with round house kicks and punches, just for a small example.
    I have noticed that some of you are very quick to call names and pass insults, but this only tends to reflect your own integrity. Most of you are simply not old enough to have trained in all the martial systems you have claimed to, and if you did you could not have a good mastery of any of them. Just by reading and watching the way you argue every possible point. It has been my experience that truly learned men all tend to agree for the most part. Facts are facts, and once you know and realize the facts, it is no longer a point to argue.
    OH, there is one thing I do envy of you. Your prowess with the computer. Most of you can google stuff up really fast so as to be able to speak like an expert on the subject. I know, and I do understand, it is just so easy for you when you are hidden behind a silly screen name.
    Jackie Lee

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Most of you talk about cross training in a way that you can use 2 different systems at the very same time. This could work I guess with the other styles of kung fu, but wing chun is completely different from the others. Things are done and not done as a matter of principal. You start adding moves that are not compliant with certain principals you tend to neutralize workability. It is possible to train a different martial system, just as long as you are not trying to combine it with what you already have. Center line fighting does not necessarily mix well with round house kicks and punches, just for a small example.
    Dear sir, mama, whatever,.....

I clipped this from your statement. It's not that bad, it's your opinion. It doesn't per say bash others for there differences and you bring some points to the front. I can accept this. you go on and on about you have done this and that, well good for you, I appreciate a mixed background and experience. What I don't appreciate is your rude and snide agenda that you throw out ever single time. I equate this to religion, in a fashion, everyone believes in something even if you are atheist you still believe in some physical spectrum. But you always have the douchbags that think we are graced with there presence and that they have the answers while looking down there nose upon us "unbelievers" or some such bullsh!t. Hypocritical in the end, and probably the root of many many atrocities in this world. Humble is such a hard quality to find these days.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

I may indeed be autistic, or retarded.
    admitting your problem is the first step on the road to recovery

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC