Thread: Tai Chi is the new Yoga

Hybrid View

Tai Chi is the new Yoga

There was another article I posted here recently that propounded the "Tai Chi is the new Yoga" trend. I don't like this notion because it short sells both disciplines, but I do hope it will come to pass. Obviously we have a vested interest in that.

If I ever find that other article, I'll merge it here.

Is Tai Chi the New Yoga?
    Confessions of an arm wafter.By Simon Doonan

Men doing tai chi at the Temple of Heaven complex in Beijing, China.
    Photo illustration by Slate. Photo by Felix Green/Eye Ubiquitous/Getty Images

SIMON DOONAN
    Simon Doonan is an author, fashion commentator, and creative ambassador for Barneys New York.

Suddenly last summer I became a bona fide alter kocker. I adopted the ultimate signifier of senior citizenship. No, I did not start jamming fistfuls of purloined Sweet’N Low sachets into my man-bag. And, no, I did not embark on an extreme couponing rampage. It’s worse than that. I took up tai chi.

My tai chi journey began when my husband and I decided to watch Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice, the 1969 free-lovin’ satire directed by Paul Mazursky. We snuggled up expecting a light-hearted hippie dippy romp, and then it happened. I am talking about the opening credits. They hit me like a brick of organic tofu.

Against a clear blue sky, upon a nifty outdoor veranda, a phalanx of “gentle people” are slowly, smugly, smilingly practicing tai chi. Did I react with mockery and derision? After all, what could be sillier than a bunch of California “seekers” wafting their arms about in unison? No, I had a totally different response. Gotta get me some of that! is how it might best be described.

The next day, when nobody was listening, I began to make telephonic enquiries about tai chi classes in Manhattan. “How about yoga?” was the most frequent response. I made a few half-hearted attempts to locate a private teacher via Google and then gave up.

Tai chi is not Soul Cycle. There is no way to rationalize the effort via muscle tone or calories burned.
    This left me with two alternatives: Purchase a pastel velour sweat-suit, head down to Chinatown and find a gang of old ladies who would admit an aging gay Brit to their coven, or simply download a beginners lesson onto my laptop. I went with the latter. That’s when Dr. Paul Lam came into my life.

If Dr. No had a benevolent, angelic brother, it would be Dr. Lam. Instead of a malevolent cat he would be stroking a little butterscotch bunny. Based in Australia, the good doctor travels the world teaching classes like Tai Chi for Arthritis and Tai Chi for Energy. Rather than wait for him to come to NYC, I downloaded his Tai Chi for Beginners onto my desktop and became instantly addicted. By the time I concluded Lesson 1, Dr. Lam had already became my favorite person on Earth. He is a fantabulous teacher who radiates sweetness and addresses the magic and mystery of this gorgeous centuries-old Chinese tradition without ever sounding doctrinaire or annoying.

I did not tell my husband about this development. One day he came home and found me in the middle of “brushing the monkey.” Or was I “stripping the wild aardvark”? I can’t quite remember. (The movements all have such exotic names that it’s hard to keep track.) Either way, he freaked out. “Are you having some kind of episode?”

“Tai chi. It’s a series of movements. What can I tell you?”

The fact that I refused to defend, justify, or explain what I was doing seemed to put hubby in a royal snit. In the subsequent days his snarky observations increased and became a soundtrack to my practice. I was glad Dr. Lam was not within earshot.

Now, six months later, my husbear has habituated to my daily routine. I still feel no obligation to explain why I like it or what I think the goals might be. The reasons for this are twofold: first, is there anything more boring than some zealot proselytizing, at length, about some new exercise obsession and its alleged results?

Second, tai chi is not Soul Cycle. There is no way to rationalize the effort via muscle tone or calories burned. It is intrinsically mysterious. The benefits are subtle, occur over time and vary tremendously from person to person. This much I can say: Me and my body feel great after doing it, and I love all the names of the movements: “splicing the snow-gerbil,” “scratching the donkey,” or something like that.

When, last March, Mrs. Obama appeared on the cover of the New York Times, wearing a sensible kitten heel, learning tai chi on a trip to China, I wordlessly slid the paper in front of my husband.

“Look,” he said, “she’s frowning. You can tell she is thinking ‘This won’t tone my arms. WTF?’”

“Just wait till she hits 60,” I replied.

Sixty seems to be the dividing line. Everybody over this age is Tai-curious. Everybody under 60 thinks it is utterly idiotic. (My Jonny is 14 years younger than me so will have to wait well over a decade before he is willing to start husking the manatee.)

Lest you, dear reader, accuse me, as my Jonny did, of being opaque and unhelpful, permit me to offer you a couple of tips. First, do not worry about trying to find a group. Tai chi is the perfect exercise to do via laptop. Dr. Lam and his blue-clad acolytes are available 24/7, can travel with you and will provide all the company you need.

Most important, be sure to pick some groovy sounds. Do not feel obliged to play twangy Asian grooves or Enya warblings while you are tai chi-ing. I myself often commune with Dr. Lam while listening to the Doors’ Greatest Hits, or sometimes, if I am feeling particularly frisky, I get the Led out, as in Zeppelin. The Qi Gong circular breathing practice goes great with When the Levee Breaks.

Now, cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good,
    When the levee breaks, mama, you got to move.
    I couldn’t agree more.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

It seems the way of this age is often to reduce and over simplify. We have to put a tag or a handle on things or we are afraid people won't show an interest. It's like skimming a stone across the top of the water; it moves over the surface but never finds the depths. My own adventures with the martial arts have proven that although some make it look easy, actual practice is quite another thing. When you spend time with any martial art, the illusions quickly fall away. It's the same with quick and shallow comparisons. While I can appreciate both Yoga and Tai Chi; where they've developed and where they are going, the beauty of them in motion by those who love the arts; I feel drawn to the latter. This would not make sense if they were one and the same. Watching and participating in them shows a range of distinctives. They might possess some superficial similarities but working out the movements reveals that each is unique.

In years past, one had to seek for others from whom we would learn. It took time and effort. Today we can click on a few links and gain a bit of information on many styles and forms and thereby deceive ourselves that we really know. We come to the martial arts like a hungry person in a cafeteria; we take only what looks good at the time with little thought beyond the immediate sensation; leaving behind the rest. The choices are many and it is both a blessing and a curse. We would do well to investigate and understand the myriad of disciplines that exist and to respect the long traditions that each brings. Comparisons can be helpful for they contrast and highlight but they cannot fully explain a thing that is so deep and profound.

Understandable, where Vedic culture generated static postures in the form of Yoga may be less appealing to the general population than the flowing "chi" forms of Taiji. Less enlightenment, more exercise. Ancient yogi's rarely had any excess calories to burn. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXnD956hF6w

A couple of quotes from that article that clearly demonstrates the author has zero experience in genuine Taijiquan.

I downloaded his Tai Chi for Beginners onto my desktop
    Tai chi. It’s a series of movements. What can I tell you?
    First, do not worry about trying to find a group. Tai chi is the perfect exercise to do via laptop
    Most important, be sure to pick some groovy sounds

Since I have started teaching I stopped even explaining the difference between the two hahaha

All the "students" in the class just want to do it for health and thats cool. They feel benefits and want to keep coming back so I'm all down for it.

Slightly OT

Is Tai Chi the new Reiki? It is if you're SATAN!
    Donegal priest bans “contemptible” yoga, reiki and tai chi
    Jane Walsh @irishcentral July 10,2014 02:08 AM

Gweedore parish priest, Father Padraig O'Baoill, says healing stretches and relaxation could “put your soul in jeopardy.”

A Catholic priest in Ireland has become an online hit after asking parishioners in Gaoth Dobhair (Gweedore), County Donegal to refrain from taking part in yoga, tai chi or reiki.

Father Padraig O’Baoill, the pastor of the local parish in Gaoth Dobhair, made his comments in the weekly newsletter published by the church.

He said, “As followers of Jesus Christ we should not partake in deeds that go against our religion. Accordingly, you should do not take part in yoga, thai chai or reiki. Do not put your soul in jeopardy for the sake of these contemptable things [sic].”

A local yoga teacher said she was offended by the remarks, describing them as over the top.

The parish priest, who is currently in Lourdes, France, told reporters at the Donegal News that he would comment on his return.

His comments reflect the Catholic Church's teachings relating to yoga, tai chi and reiki.

However, his comments were not greeted with a great deal of seriousness online.

One Tweet quoted the comedy series “Father Ted”:
    Donegal News @Donegal_News
    Gaoth Dobhair forbids yoga - http://donegalnews.com/2014/07/gaoth...-forbids-yoga/

Tommy Martin @TommyMartinTV3
    Follow

Down with that sort of thing "@Donegal_News: Gaoth Dobhair priest forbids yoga - http://donegalnews.com/2014/07/gaoth...-forbids-yoga/ …”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The physical movements of yoga are NOT against the teachings of Christianity, of course.
    That said, when the yogi starts to try to open up your "spirit" or the yoga practitioners tries to access the spirit realm as opposed to finding some sort of "spiritual peace" via breathing exercises, that is a different matter.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Many Westerners do not realize that Yoga is a spiritual practice, not just exercises to be bendy.

Also it was the basic training system for many of the Indian combat systems that are not practiced much any longer.

Most of my yoga friends are not that well balanced and when confronted with reality at times, they are the ones who lose it more than people who have trained some sort of combat training. Interesting to see.

People like to be bendy in body but not in mind...
    Dr. Dale Dugas
    Hakka Mantis
    Integrated Eskrima
    Pukulan Cimande Pusaka Sanders

All for Use
    Nothing for Show

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The physical movements of yoga are NOT against the teachings of Christianity, of course.
    That said, when the yogi starts to try to open up your "spirit" or the yoga practitioners tries to access the spirit realm as opposed to finding some sort of "spiritual peace" via breathing exercises, that is a different matter.
    ------------------------

It would take a long time to respond fully. Yoga should not be confused with theology and does not require a religious commitment.