Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jiu Wan style/method

Jiu Wan style/method

Was recently reading an article about WC's fighting aspects and it briefly mentions 'SiFu Jiu Wan style'.
    Anyone have any knowledge of this style/method?
    Similiar to Yip Man's style?
    From reading posts / threads on here it appears he was a friend / student of YM but already knew WC(?). Was this persons interpretation of WC and his fighting methods vastly different from YM?
    Appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by HybridWarrior View Post
    Was recently reading an article about WC's fighting aspects and it briefly mentions 'SiFu Jiu Wan style'.
    From reading posts / threads on here it appears he was a friend / student of YM but already knew WC(?). Was this persons interpretation of WC and his fighting methods vastly different from YM?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jiu Wan first learned wing chun from someone else then became Ip Man's student in HK. He had some tong connections apparently. Jason Lau and Francis Fong do Jiu Wan wing chun. Lau emphasizes a more important position for Jiu Wan.

BTW, given my limited computer tech ability, I don't know how to post a picture provided by Yang Margie from a facebook here,
    given your lineage. Its a 2012 picture taken in Foshan of Ho Kam Ming explaining something to Duncan Leung- the latter is your sigung if memory serves.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jiu Wan first learned wing chun from someone else then became Ip Man's student in HK. He had some tong connections apparently. Jason Lau and Francis Fong do Jiu Wan wing chun. Lau emphasizes a more important position for Jiu Wan.

BTW, given my limited computer tech ability, I don't know how to post a picture provided by Yang Margie from a facebook here,
    given your lineage. Its a 2012 picture taken in Foshan of Ho Kam Ming explaining something to Duncan Leung- the latter is your sigung if memory serves.

Excellent. Thx Joy. I'll check it out!
    As for the Jiu Wan stuff...I'll have to visit a kwoon of the two you mention at some point. Just curious as to why / how it is different from YM methods. Thx again.

Fred Kwok jiu wan

Our own sifu Fred Kwok in Vancouver is of Jiu Wan house
    I am currently training with one of his old students.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrg0DbPnHhw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJfKN...5E437C360DFB92
    Last edited by Happy Tiger; 07-05-2014 at 08:57 AM.
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    Our own sifu Fred Kwok in Vancouver is of Jiiu Wan house
    I am currently training with one of his old students.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrg0DbPnHhw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJfKN...5E437C360DFB92

Thanks for the reply and vid links Happy Tiger!

Blog Entries

Nice. Thanks KFF!

Blog Entries
    Nice. Thanks KFF!
    You're welcome! Jiu Wan's son used to live in Toronto and was good friends with my sifu before moving back to Hong Kong. Of all Yip Man's Hong Kong students I like Jiu Wan's and WSL's interpretation the best.

hunt1 has said this in the past:

Their was one person that had enough wing chun knowledge to know the truth and everyone that makes these claims conveniently ignores him. Jui Wan was already a wing chun Sifu in Fatshan and he was friends with and knew first hand YKS and everyone else. When his son asked him why become Yip Man's student after he moved to HK in 1953 he was very clear. In Fatshan Yip's wing chun was like everyone else's. When they met up in 1953 Yip's wing chun was both different and better. Jui Wan asked Yip what was different and where it came from and Yip told him he learned from Leung Bik. Jui Wan asked to learn this from Yip Man and so became Yip's student. . This was also before the time of the Yip learning from Dai Duk lan stories. When asked Yip was clear that while similar Weng Chun and his Wing Chun were different from different sources.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post

Their was one person that had enough wing chun knowledge to know the truth and everyone that makes these claims conveniently ignores him. Jui Wan was already a wing chun Sifu in Fatshan and he was friends with and knew first hand YKS and everyone else. When his son asked him why become Yip Man's student after he moved to HK in 1953 he was very clear. In Fatshan Yip's wing chun was like everyone else's. When they met up in 1953 Yip's wing chun was both different and better. Jui Wan asked Yip what was different and where it came from and Yip told him he learned from Leung Bik. Jui Wan asked to learn this from Yip Man and so became Yip's student. . This was also before the time of the Yip learning from Dai Duk lan stories. When asked Yip was clear that while similar Weng Chun and his Wing Chun were different from different sources.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Thanks fot reposting hunt1's comment on Jiu Wan

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post

Thanks for that KPM. Interesting. I assume the two people Joy mentioned above (Jason Lau and Francis Fong) learned from Jiu Wan after JW's time learning a second version/interpretation of WC from Yip Man. I wonder what version of WC did JW know prior to him studying under YM?
    Anyway, perhaps it is all lost given the amount of years that have passed. I appreciate the input to the thread. Clearly this Jiu Wan had some influence and expressed his WC differently enough for people of our time to single him out i.e. "SiFu Jiu Wan style" as per the website I read it on.
    Thx to all who responded!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for that KPM. Interesting. I assume the two people Joy mentioned above (Jason Lau and Francis Fong) learned from Jiu Wan after JW's time learning a second version/interpretation of WC from Yip Man. I wonder what version of WC did JW know prior to him studying under YM?
    Anyway, perhaps it is all lost given the amount of years that have passed. I appreciate the input to the thread. Clearly this Jiu Wan had some influence and expressed his WC differently enough for people of our time to single him out i.e. "SiFu Jiu Wan style" as per the website I read it on.
    Thx to all who responded!
    Jiu wan first learnt wing chun from Jiu chao in Fatsan

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    Jiu wan first learnt wing chun from Jiu chao in Fatsan

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Its a 2012 picture taken in Foshan of Ho Kam Ming explaining something to Duncan Leung- the latter is your sigung if memory serves.
    Joy, is this the picture?

Name:  10410307_744801962237633_5623860574737158185_n.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  25.9 KB

Joy, is this the picture?

Name:  10410307_744801962237633_5623860574737158185_n.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  25.9 KB
    ----------------------

yup!