Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jiu Wan style/method

Quote Originally Posted by HybridWarrior View Post
    Thanks for that KPM. Interesting. I assume the two people Joy mentioned above (Jason Lau and Francis Fong) learned from Jiu Wan after JW's time learning a second version/interpretation of WC from Yip Man. I wonder what version of WC did JW know prior to him studying under YM?
    Anyway, perhaps it is all lost given the amount of years that have passed. I appreciate the input to the thread. Clearly this Jiu Wan had some influence and expressed his WC differently enough for people of our time to single him out i.e. "SiFu Jiu Wan style" as per the website I read it on.
    Thx to all who responded!
    Jason Lau and Francis Fong are students of Jiu Wan , as well as Ti Lung (from the old Shaw Bros films) Dennis Chan, Wong Li Feng, Chow Hung-Yuen, and Chiu Hung-Kwan. There are not many that were directly trained by Jiu Wan. I wish I knew of a instructor in the Jiu Wan style where I am at now. But I have found to really love his version of WC. I was fortunate enough to learn some of it before I moved to Colorado.
    Last edited by jhexx; 07-06-2014 at 06:58 PM.
    "Timing is achieved through practice."

Quote Originally Posted by jhexx View Post
    Jason Lau and Francis Fong are students of Jiu Wan , as well as Ti Lung (from the old Shaw Bros films) Dennis Chan, Wong Li Feng, Chow Hung-Yuen, and Chiu Hung-Kwan. There are not many that were directly trained by Jiu Wan. I wish I knew of a instructor in the Jiu Wan style where I am at now. But I have found to really love his version of WC. I was fortunate enough to learn some of it before I moved to Colorado.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the enjoyable highlights of a kung fu tournament and demonstration in Texas in the 80s was a joint demonstration of sil lim tao

by WSL, TST and Jason Lau. The sequence was basically similar but to a good eye there were differences in the details
    of body usage.
    It was few years before WSL's death. WSL and TST had travelled to Vancouver, then California before going to Texas.
    Jason Lau had brought with him a group of his students to participate in the tournament. There were some broken bones
    and noses in the matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the enjoyable highlights of a kung fu tournament and demonstration in Texas in the 80s was a joint demonstration of sil lim tao

by WSL, TST and Jason Lau. The sequence was basically similar but to a good eye there were differences in the details
    of body usage.
    It was few years before WSL's death. WSL and TST had travelled to Vancouver, then California before going to Texas.
    Jason Lau had brought with him a group of his students to participate in the tournament. There were some broken bones
    That is a very interesting story. I would've loved to have witnessed this event myself

From what I learned so far, in Sil Lim Tao, there are some differences in the second and third parts of the form. Very minor but yes, to the trained eye there are some subtle differences.

of body usage.
    Thanks for sharing this story.

Cool. Thanks jhexx

Quote Originally Posted by HybridWarrior View Post
    Cool. Thanks jhexx
    You are welcome. If there is anyone who lives in the Fort Lauderdale/ Lauderdale Lakes area, Sifu Herb Schmeider does Jiu Wan style, which he trained with Jason Lau and Miguel Hernandez, and he also has training from John Melillo, who went under training with Sifu Lun Syn, who was Sifu Francis Fong's first disciple and Ip Ching.

jason lau wing chun

You are welcome. If there is anyone who lives in the Fort Lauderdale/ Lauderdale Lakes area, Sifu Herb Schmeider does Jiu Wan style, which he trained with Jason Lau and Miguel Hernandez, and he also has training from John Melillo, who went under training with Sifu Lun Syn, who was Sifu Francis Fong's first disciple and Ip Ching.
    my father has been a jason lau instructor since the 70's. i was 7 years old when i met him sifu lau, at his flatbush ave school in brooklyn, his wing chun is incredible. sifu lau fought on the streets, and applied it in real world situations. i have had the good fortune of touching hands with miguel hernandez, several francis fong students, and sifu lun syn. they are all very talented wing chun men, and thanks to my father i have had a wonderful journey in this martial art.
    sincerly, eddie

joint siu nim tao

of body usage.
    i saw the the demo of the joint siu nim tao, it was taped sifu lau has a copy of it, it was a great!
    sincerly, eddie

Quote Originally Posted by deejaye72 View Post
    i saw the the demo of the joint siu nim tao, it was taped sifu lau has a copy of it, it was a great!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great!

Greetings to Lau sifu

Chiu Van

Hi Hybridwarrior,

Thank God someone has taken interest in GM Chiu Van/Jiu Wan Wing Chun finally

As I am not very good at computer skill,please acknowledge receipt of this message before I

post any further material about the Chiu Van Faction.

My name is Alan Kwong and had been training GM Chiu Van's wing chun style for about 25 years.

As GM Chiu Van had always maintained a low profile on Homg Kong back in the 1950s, not many people

would know much about him except his family and his closest

Chiu Van

Hi Hybridwarrior,

As I am not very good at computer skill,please acknowledge receipt of this message before I

My name is Alan Kwong and had been training GM Chiu Van's wing chun style for about 25 years.

As GM Chiu Van had always maintained a low profile on Homg Kong back in the 1950s, not many people

would know much about him except his family and his closest indoor disciple

Kind Regards

Alan Kwong

Quote Originally Posted by Chiu Van View Post
    Hi Hybridwarrior,

Kind Regards

Alan Kwong

Hello Alan. Thank you for replying! I look forward to hearing more about Jiu Wan/Chiu Van style/method! Thank you very much!

thank you

[QUOTE=Chiu Van;1273946]Hi Hybridwarrior,

Kind Regards

Alan Kwongthanks for posting alan, i'm from jiu wan lineage also
    sincerly, eddie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiu Van View Post

would know much about him except his family and his closest
    Hi Alan,
    Jiu Wan said "In Fatshan Yip's wing chun was like everyone else's. When they met up in 1953 Yip's wing chun was both different and better. Jui Wan asked Yip what was different and where it came from and Yip told him he learned from Leung Bik. Jui Wan asked to learn this from Yip Man and so became Yip's student"

Can you tell us what the differences were between Yip Man's Fatshan wing chun compared to the wing chun he was doing in Hong Kong?

Also it would be nice to hear about the differences between the teachings of chan wah shun and Leung Bik?

Jiu Wan / Yip Man

[QUOTE=kung fu fighter;1273991]Hi Alan,
    Jiu Wan said "In Fatshan Yip's wing chun was like everyone else's. When they met up in 1953 Yip's wing chun was both different and better. Jui Wan asked Yip what was different and where it came from and Yip told him he learned from Leung Bik. Jui Wan asked to learn this from Yip Man and so became Yip's student"

It was always interesting to me that after Yip Man's death no one in Hong Kong claimed the title of GM until after Jiu Wan had died.