Thread: Video Review: Wing Chun Sparring Gloves Comparison

Video Review: Wing Chun Sparring Gloves Comparison

I made this video while testing out a few different gloves to find the softest for VT sparring: Combat Sports Max Strike MMA, Fairtex Combat Sparring, and Ring to Cage Deluxe MiM gloves. I went through a lot of reviews and didn't find much of anything useful, so I ended up making a video to help other people who might be on the same journey. Depending on how you spar I'd recommend either the CSI Max Strike or Fairtex in that order, but I'd recommend watching so that you can see how the padding on each compares since they're pretty different. If you don't spar to test your VT I'd recommend this as a good time to consider doing so, I think it will add an extra dimension to your training that will help you put a lot of different pieces together

I talk a bit about ground and pound as well as how the gloves are or aren't useful in escaping tight submissions since I also train BJJ and groundwork to round out the standing striking of VT. This may or may not be helpful to you, but feel free to ignore it since the majority if the video is discretely focused on using these gloves to sharpen your VT skills with your training partners.

Last edited by Miguel; 07-05-2014 at 10:37 AM.
    learn->practice->habit->reflex->instinct

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I made this video while testing out a few different gloves to find the softest for VT sparring.
    Thanks for starting a useful and informative discussion. This is particularly relevant to me since I'm trying to get a regular sparring session going with our little WC/VT group and we need to get some better gloves. One thing you only touched on lightly was how much the bulkiness impaired your VT. The bulkier, curled design of the combat sports didn't look as good for some VT work, such as sparring starting from a chi-sau rolling-arms platform. Also, where did you find them at that $30.00 price?
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Thanks for the review Miguel! Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    Thanks for starting a useful and informative discussion. This is particularly relevant to me since I'm trying to get a regular sparring session going with our little WC/VT group and we need to get some better gloves. One thing you only touched on lightly was how much the bulkiness impaired your VT. The bulkier, curled design of the combat sports didn't look as good for some VT work, such as sparring starting from a chi-sau rolling-arms platform. Also, where did you find them at that $30.00 price?
    After using them for a bit they're really not bad, the profile on the palm side is the same on the Fairtex and CSI, it's just the other side of your hand that's bulkier. Haven't used them in chi-sau but while rolling you're not using the back of your hand so it should still be pretty smooth. The thing is once you're using them starting from sparring distance or even after you start opening up from starting at chi-sau you're probably going to really prefer the CSI since they're a lot softer to get hit with, will make it a good transition into harder sparring instead of something that's going to be a bit more of a shock to someone who isn't used to eating a few.

I found them for $30 at a site called Karate Joe's, but Century MMA seems to have them at that price too. I think it's places clearing out overstock since they're more than double that everywhere else... Honestly they'd still be well worth it at $60-80 though, but at $30 it's a steal.
    Last edited by Miguel; 07-05-2014 at 10:39 AM.

After using them for a bit they're really not bad, the profile on the palm side is the same on the Fairtex and CSI, it's just the other side of your hand that's bulkier. Haven't used them in chi-sau but while rolling you're not using the back of your hand so it should still be pretty smooth. The thing is once you're using them starting from sparring distance or even after you start opening up from starting at chi-sau you're probably going to really prefer the CSI since they're a lot softer to get hit with, will make it a good transition into harder sparring instead of something that's going to be a bit more of a shock to someone who isn't used to eating a few.

I found them for $30 at a site called Karate Joe's, but Century MMA seems to have them at that price too. I think it's places clearing out overstock since they're more than double that everywhere else... Honestly they'd still be well worth it at $60-80 though, but at $30 it's a steal.
    Awesome video review - loved the physics part as it applies to gloves, and I had not heard of CSI but they look good and you are right at $30 I couldn't resist ordering a pair. They are on the way.

Great points about softer shock for people transitioning into sparring. Get the proper equipment so that sparring does involve softer shock. Good gloves, and also more importantly good soft shock protection for your teeth with a proper mouth guard or gum shield. I will give a brand recommendation for mouth guards - I really love these: http://www.gladiatorguards.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Get the proper equipment so that sparring does involve softer shock. Good gloves, and also more importantly good soft shock protection for your teeth with a proper mouth guard or gum shield. I will give a brand recommendation for mouth guards - I really love these: http://www.gladiatorguards.com/
    and headgear! I've been debating buying one of those mouth guards for BJJ, I have a cheap boil and bite that really doesn't feel too safe and it seems like everyone swears by these. Do you use the Pro or Elite?

and headgear! I've been debating buying one of those mouth guards for BJJ, I have a cheap boil and bite that really doesn't feel too safe and it seems like everyone swears by these. Do you use the Pro or Elite?
    Elite for mma, but the Pro is plenty fine for BJJ I used that for years.

I made this video while testing out a few different gloves to find the softest for VT sparring: Combat Sports Max Strike MMA, Fairtex Combat Sparring, and Ring to Cage Deluxe MiM gloves. I went through a lot of reviews and didn't find much of anything useful, so I ended up making a video to help other people who might be on the same journey. Depending on how you spar I'd recommend either the CSI Max Strike or Fairtex in that order, but I'd recommend watching so that you can see how the padding on each compares since they're pretty different. If you don't spar to test your VT I'd recommend this as a good time to consider doing so, I think it will add an extra dimension to your training that will help you put a lot of different pieces together

I talk a bit about ground and pound as well as how the gloves are or aren't useful in escaping tight submissions since I also train BJJ and groundwork to round out the standing striking of VT. This may or may not be helpful to you, but feel free to ignore it since the majority if the video is discretely focused on using these gloves to sharpen your VT skills with your training partners.

Excellent review Miguel!!