Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Interesting New England Sites

I Am Building A Site On Top A Moderate Ledge This Summer

There is a place in the woods in Massachusetts that I have been building/ salvaging stoneworks for the past week. It is on top of a moderate rock ledge with a great vast over-look and open sky both day and night in a heavily wooded area. This rock ledge was partly quarried in the late 19th- mid 20th centuries by quarry-men. You might say I am re-beautifying or re-doctoring the site. I feel strongly about this site that I should contribute something to the stone-building tradition and bring balance back to the site. On a sloping hill down the ledge there are deep gouges of earth left behind by quarrymen next to native stoneworks- I know for sure they must have messed alot of things up. The ledge itself was partly blasted/ drilled by the quarrymen and left bare. But amazingly the ledge still holds much natural beauty.

Oh, and it is hard to find. You must go up another rock ledge with no marked trail, than pick up a small overgrown footpath to get to the spot.

What I have built so far on the ledge-

A stone enclosure, walled on three sides with an open entrance. A sort of "vision quest" seat. When I am not at the site I place a rounded stone in the middle of the enclosure, in abscence of someone sitting there.

A stone cairn pile with a standing stone placed in the middle. The standing stone I found maybe an 1/8 of a mile away from the ledge, and is shoulder/ neck height, so it is a large stone. It was lying face down on the ground, again, amidst destruction from quarrymen- but this standing stone is not the result of quarrying and is very old. I decided to slavage it so I picked it up and hauled it to the special rock ledge, which was hard to do, especially having to walk up a ledge, worry about roots carrying the sacred object. I made a cairn at a nice elevated spot to place the Standing Stone on top of, placing more stones around it's base. I decorated it with a dead tree branch and tied colored string around it- the string closest to the stone is magnetically attracted to the standing stone and will move by itself to the stone.

A circular stone cairn that is hollow/ devoid of stones in the center. This is basically an expression of dualism, or the yin to the above standing stones' yang energy, creating a vortex of energy.

A stone altar at the center of the ledge. (Since this ledge was drilled/ blasted in parts, there are some flat areas, like a terrace, as well as areas that avoided the blasting retaining it's natural roundness of the rock formation.) The design for this altar is like a chamber, with a roof slab placed on top, two sides, a back and an open entrance but is only waist/stomach high and slightly wider than shoulder width.

A fireplace with 2 stones resembling turtle heads on either side sticking out from the stone circle.

Two stone rows. The outer stone row is going to have a standing stone on the end, which is really a large flake from the quarrymen blasting the ledge but is perfectly standing-stone shaped. I rolled it into place using my legs, but the problem is I cannot prop it up alone so far, it is taller than a person and very heavy. I don't know who might want to help me put it into place. The second stone row is closer to the "campfire" and is a serpent row- the first stone is the head of the serpent, clearly, the last stone is it's tail. This stone row also functions as benches around the fire-place and forms a crescent shape around the fire.

There is also other small things such as a blasted stone that looks like a profile of a face. So I placed this on top of another rock. Actually, the face looks different from 3 different angles but always looks like a face- head/neck.

Every day that I have made it up to the ledge I am spontaeniously inspired to create something new, without planning anything before-hand.

After going to site after site, learning deeply about this matter I have decided to make a contribution, in a place that needs the healing that I feel strongly about (the locality of the ledge).

Great Horned Serpent (Wikipedia link)

Article about the N. American Great Horned Serpent-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horned_Serpent

PS- if you read the part about ThunderBirds, the anthropologists are wrong.

"Our Relationship W/ the Unseen/ The World We Used to Live In" (Vine Deloria Jr)

A)- "Our Reltionship With the Unseen (5 min)-

https://youtu.be/l-nVoQ4cZBE

B) "The World We Used To Live In" (51 mins)-

https://youtu.be/QOL0Gm22Jy0

Quote Originally Posted by MarathonTmatt View Post
    A)- "Our Reltionship With the Unseen (5 min)-

https://youtu.be/l-nVoQ4cZBE

B) "The World We Used To Live In" (51 mins)-

https://youtu.be/QOL0Gm22Jy0
    Matt,

Thanks for the vids! Great stuff. The only thing I might point out is that in the second vid, he mentions the Smithsonian as an institution that would verify unusual finds, and how it wasn't around at the time of some of the discoveries. I disagree with him there, in that there's evidence that the Smithsonian has been aware of unusual finds that go against accepted scientific and historical beliefs, such as remains and artifacts of giants that they have confiscated and then suppressed knowledge of. So IMO, the Smithsonian would not be an ideal institution to help widen our knowledge of true history; more likely they would seize any evidence and cover it up to maintain the status quo. And so far they've been pretty effective at it.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-16-2015 at 08:50 AM.

Greetings,

The Great Horned Serpent corresponds to the Kundalini energy going up the spine; the crystal corresponds to the pineal gland fully activated. It might be that these paintings may have been for the purpose of activation, where the initiate would take a mind altering substance and view these paintings while in that state, triggering the energy within. The talk about the Thunderbird killing off the Great Horned serpent is not a new one. The Thunderbird corresponds to the Guruda of India, a large bird that has the power to kill dragons. The Guruda/Thunderbird may correspond to a second energy system altogether that some of us are aware of. The Cherokee legend references colored chakras, "spots", and the weak point being the seventh spot, corresponding to the crown chakra.

Just my own interpretation.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 09-16-2015 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Matt,

Thanks for the vids! Great stuff. The only thing I might point out is that in the second vid, he mentions the Smithsonian as an institution that would verify unusual finds, and how it wasn't around at the time of some of the discoveries. I disagree with him there, in that there's evidence that the Smithsonian has been aware of unusual finds that go against accepted scientific and historical beliefs, such as remains and artifacts of giants that they have confiscated and then suppressed knowledge of. So IMO, the Smithsonian would not be an ideal institution to help widen our knowledge of true history; more likely they would seize any evidence and cover it up to maintain the status quo. And so far they've been pretty effective at it.
    Jimbo,
    Great point I agree 100%. In approaching subjects such as this, and looking at the evidence, whether its pointing out/ recording a stone structure with a solar alignment, or even looking at a historical document/ account I have found that you can't play the "academics" game (aka the establishment). They will go to extreme measures to white-wash everything... most likely they will simply not even research a site and never ever bother to look at it- if its not in their comfort bubble they won't be interested. So my approach is to just over-step these clowns. The evidence and proof is already in- playing their game is just stalling things- they get off on intellectual and legal diarehea or something.

There are good people though, who work under the Smithsonian Institution or who are state archaeologists for instance, such as my archaeologist friend/ contact who is an older gentleman. This man is actually willing and takes very seriously what Native people have to say about some of their history pertaining to stone structures/ etc. (such as the Narragansett Tribal Historic Officer). However, his archaeology superiors will scoff and ignore some of these serious matters. Also he told me, he is mapping the dispersion of stone sites throughout the NorthEast region and has thousands of entries. There are 2 kinds of maps that he could use and he couldn't even get a response from his superiors which map he should use to plug his data onto. So he has to do double the work and has put the data on both map versions. I like to think that he is ahead of his time, as is anyone researching and identifying sites/ etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

The Great Horned Serpent corresponds to the Kundalini energy going up the spine; the crystal corresponds to the pineal gland fully activated. It might be that these paintings may have been for the purpose of activation, where the initiate would take a mind altering substance and view these paintings while in that state, triggering the energy within. The talk about the Thunderbird killing off the Great Horned serpent is not a new one. The Thunderbird corresponds to the Guruda of India, a large bird that has the power to kill dragons. The Guruda/Thunderbird may correspond to a second energy system altogether that some of us are aware of. The Cherokee legend references colored chakras, "spots", and the weak point being the seventh spot, corresponding to the crown chakra.

Just my own interpretation.

mickey
    And your interpretation is a very good one! The crystal in the Great Horned Serpent's forehead is said to have extreme magnetic properties.

I dont know about anyone else but I have experienced magnetic/ electro-magnetic anamolies and power before, in different various situations- some were triggered by certain factors (ceremony- not me personally but I was there to witness it/ partake) while others have been spontaneous (like a force of nature- in the sky above a lake on a clear day or a discharge of energy from a cairn in the woods). it has not occured in my life on a regular basis, but has happened often enough.

Reptile/ Crocodile/ Dinosaur-Like Stone in Massachusetts

Sticking with some of the current theme of the thread here is another stonework forgotten to time that I noticed, on a hill in the woods. The boulder has been shaped out to look reptilian/ dinosaur-like. For some reason I thought I already posted this here but I guess not. Pics:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-k4mzphT08u...600/mag21A.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-z0TK6pXW99...600/mag21B.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BISzA7K5dq...1600/mag21.jpg

The nearby rock ledge-

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-fuh462JJbe...1600/mag24.jpg

Lined up boulders at the foot of the reptilian stone-

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9pueZ-JZZs...600/mag21D.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yRXobDOwzP...600/mag21E.jpg
    Last edited by MarathonTmatt; 09-16-2015 at 08:38 PM.

Greetings,

Matt, mas the reptile arrangement found in the same area as the bird stones?

mickey

Yes. Also, some Language 101

Greetings,

Matt, mas the reptile arrangement found in the same area as the bird stones?

mickey

Yes it was. The reptile stone, the bird stones and even some more of the stoneworks (including the Winter Solstice Shrine from the first post) were found in the surrounding towns of the Echo Lake area, which is where I found the Stone Lodge complex by Echo Lake I have posted alot about. Since this whole area was the headwaters of the Charles River and two other river systems in pre-colonial times, the whole area must have been the cradle to a healthily populated civilization including many ceremonial spots. One of the Native place names for the area was "Magomskauk" or "Megomisquag" (the suffix "-auk" as in "Montauk" Long Island, same as "-quag" or "-ook" in the other related Algonquin dialects.) "Ma" as in "Massachusetts" means "great, grand or big." Massachusetts originally referred to a "great" people who lived at the foot of the Blue Hills (a small mountain range near Boston with a lake at the foot of the hills, connected to the Charles). The suffix "chusett" is a place name for a mountain. In the state of MA. a famous place to go skiing is Mt. Wachusett in Central MA. Mt. Wachusett is also the place where many Native parties fled to for safety during the King Philips War of 1675-6. I always thought it was interesting that the "Ma" in the word "Mayan" stands for great or grand as well.

So- Megomskauk (Magomisquog- the vowels are often interchangeable, with literate people spelling the word the way it sounds) is the place name for the range of high hills located in Milford, MA., which is pretty much ground zero of the Echo Lake area which is by the Milford/ Hopkinton MA. town line. From the Algonquian into the English language it translates as "the grand view place among/near the great rocks" or something to that effect. There are many high ledges in this area and one can see for miles at certain spots- it was some of these same ledges, unfortuneatly that were quarried and blown up for Milford Pink Granite beginning in the mid 19th century. Today one of these high ledges is a street called "Fortune Blvd." which has many shopping centers such as Target and businesses. They also blew up ledges to put Interstate 495 through town in the early 1980's. Fortuneatly some of the ledges remain. The woods in this area is the biggest tract of wilderness between Boston and Worcester and the Echo Lake area is also at the highest point of elevation between Boston and Worcester. Coyote, Black Bear, Fox, Deer, Turkey, Bobcat, beaver and more all live in those woods. There is also a rock wall that many rock climbers train at, with a stream running behind it.

Other Native place names for the area include "Mucksquit" which means a "place of much grass", where an acknowledged Native village once existed at the edge of a lake. The drum stone in the woods mentioned above still works. The drum stone itself weighs a couple tons and is precariously balanced on a boulder platform it was split from, from high temp. heated fire. You can rock it back and forth using your hands or stand on it to rock it. It vibrates the ground even. It was a long distance calling system. It could be heard at least a good 10 miles away in the town of modern day Framingham (the location of Mt. Nobscot) without modern day noise pollution.

Some of the stone works have celestial/solar alignments which showcases the knowledge of astronomy. In Algonquian, "nehtutoonk papaume annogsps" means "a skill or knowledge about the stars" and "kesukque" means "heavenly."

I have explored this area alot looking for the remains of what can still be found. Of course I have been all over to other areas too, as shown in this thread but the "Greater Echo Lake Area" is especially impressive.

Mickey- as we were talking about thunderbirds and reptiles lately it is very keen that you brought up the fact to ask if the reptilian rock arrangement is in the same area as the bird stones. If you have any additional insight from the pics please let me know, even if its a pm, up to you. A good question I am asking now, with these stones being so life-like, reptile and bird alike, is if they were carved out by human hands or if they are petrified. If they are petrified than the stories are true, that some of the animals and beasts turned to stone. If they were carved by people in deep antiquity, than we can only imagine what motivated them to do so and what their experiences were, and that surely they must have interacted with such creatures.

Greetings MarathonTmatt,

Given that the Horned Serpent Legend/Thunderbird "mythology" exists amongst so many Native Nations, the area may have been a very serious place of initiation. It's location and purpose was not known to everyone except those who were the Keepers of Wisdom or Medicine men; yet; elements were coded in 'mythology", essentially petrified there until it came time for those codes to be broken.

mickey

PS: I will sending you a pm. Trust me on this.
    Last edited by mickey; 09-18-2015 at 07:36 AM.

Best View Of Echo Lake Stone Lodge Yet

I had either forgotten about this feature or didn't notice it at first. From one angle, perhaps the original path, there is a stone "ledge" that steps up to the entrance of the lodge. This is the best angle of the entrance IMO which I forgot to note. Pics:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ibGBPoI_Wp...1600/ech28.jpg

from this angle it pretty much still looks like a large ordinary boulder:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7tWWyIBt2t...600/ech31A.jpg

more:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yzR303j7Pf...s1600/ech7.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1rp8Fl0rTh...600/ech7JA.jpg

a feature on the inside is that the top of the side walls have been worked out into ridges. so, long ago they cut the stone into shapes of the boulder itself:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-DsEYXuPiVV...600/ech29D.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-cHu1qxCS1C...600/ech29A.jpg

a view looking out:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-O15uT_Xbsi...600/ech30A.jpg

a shaft in the outside back end of the structure:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YUSEVNVQS_...1600/ech32.jpg

the lodge:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2bs5hP5yfQ...600/ech7KB.jpg

of course this is not a stand-alone structure. a few posts up in this thread is another post about this place. there are the several stone altars surrounding the location of the structure, a stone circle at the foot of the structure, and stone cairns on a hillside near the structure.

What I can post up.....

Greetings,

Info coming through in the last five hours:

- That the sweat lodges and Vision Quests are but a small remnant of the process of initiation that took place amongst the Native Nations.

- Unlike what was depicted in Hollywood, there was hardly ever a renegade/maverick Warrior Brave. He moved with the FULLl spiritual support of his Nation. He drew strength from that. If he was faced with a situation where he had to act without guidance, he would have to make a full report to his elders. To behave in a way that did not reflect his Nation would/could make him outcast And no other Nation would want him.

- Given the short amount of time it takes to make maturity amongst the Native Nations, many of the settlers/colonialists were engaging in mortal combat with large numbers of what we would now view as adolescent children. (EDIT: There was a movie that came out in the late 80's/early 90's glimpsed upon this that featured three adolescents on the run from the law. a key scene was when one of the three took down a helicopter/ plane by shooting the pilot with an arrow. The glimpse was way above everybody's head at the time, mine included. The movie began and ended with running horses.)

FOUND THE MOVIE. It is "War Party"

Full Movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_nfvMS4rOc

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 09-19-2015 at 10:16 AM.

The Lodge

Greetings MarathonTmatt,

You need to simply go there on an auspicious day and feel. If the lodge can handle more than one person take another person with you.

I saw white stone on one of the photos. Is that quartz? If so, you are going to have a real good time! Remember to clean out the flooring of the interior and around the lodge. The area did not always look like that. Doing so is way of honoring the structure and the area.

mickey

Spot On! Plus Videos- Glooscap & "Winter Wife"

Greetings,

Info coming through in the last five hours:

- That the sweat lodges and Vision Quests are but a small remnant of the process of initiation that took place amongst the Native Nations.

- Unlike what was depicted in Hollywood, there was hardly ever a renegade/maverick Warrior Brave. He moved with the FULLl spiritual support of his Nation. He drew strength from that. If he was faced with a situation where he had to act without guidance, he would have to make a full report to his elders. To behave in a way that did not reflect his Nation would/could make him outcast And no other Nation would want him.

- Given the short amount of time it takes to make maturity amongst the Native Nations, many of the settlers/colonialists were engaging in mortal combat with large numbers of what we would now view as adolescent children. (EDIT: There was a movie that came out in the late 80's/early 90's glimpsed upon this that featured three adolescents on the run from the law. a key scene was when one of the three took down a helicopter/ plane by shooting the pilot with an arrow. The glimpse was way above everybody's head at the time, mine included. The movie began and ended with running horses.)

FOUND THE MOVIE. It is "War Party"

Full Movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_nfvMS4rOc

mickey
    Nice! Thanks for sharing the movie. U are definitly spot on about moving with the full spiritual support of the Nation. When you bring up colonists engaging in warfare with young men, what would now be considered adolescent children, of course this is the truth, it had to have been.

Also concerning sweat lodges and vision quests being a remnant of the process of initiation from ancient times. Bingo! I do believe that is what we are looking at with some of these stone structures. Their geographic locality as well as solar alignments involved with the structures is testament to this.

Here are some video clips that i think people will find interesting. From the Indian Legends series that was broadcast on Canadian TV in the 80's.

The story of Glooscap (notice the use of stone structures thru out the video- the sweat lodge, the stone altar, etc.):

https://youtu.be/ho7ITqf920w

"The Winter Wife":

https://youtu.be/bRo3suCqgxA