Thread: tiger crane complete set with 76

tiger crane complete set with 76

This Leung Kam Kwong at the age of 76 performing the complete fu hok set...i hope i can move half as good at that age..
    its always reat to see the old guys play their sets..you can see the intentions and application really good..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4pa2L9ZEWk

There is something to it when the old timers do their forms...
    They don't try to be fancy or "play" the form or be overly dynamic, there is just this raw intent and a subtle layer of power that is present.
    You just feel that is how it is done, know what I mean?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    There is something to it when the old timers do their forms...
    They don't try to be fancy or "play" the form or be overly dynamic, there is just this raw intent and a subtle layer of power that is present.
    You just feel that is how it is done, know what I mean?
    exactly.. this gentleman is my sigung and i was lucky enough to get some lessons from him on several occasions..one I never forget was at a dinner party in HK when my kung fu brother and I were sitting at our table and he came over to us and showed us some close combat applications for 10 minutes..he had few drinks in and loves to that then..

Leung Sifu rocks!
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

here he plays the tigerfork and again you can see the aplications and intentions.. often you see people play their sets,specially weapons and its just like waving the weapon around..but no intention or maybe dont even know what they are doing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Gn226HW3s

Quote Originally Posted by HungKuenH View Post
    here he plays the tigerfork and again you can see the aplications and intentions.. often you see people play their sets,specially weapons and its just like waving the weapon around..but no intention or maybe dont even know what they are doing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Gn226HW3s
    Funny, people tend to "rush" their sets to show their speed and power BUT doing a set with a weapon in a slow, fluid and intentful fashion is far harder IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by HungKuenH View Post
    exactly.. this gentleman is my sigung and i was lucky enough to get some lessons from him on several occasions..one I never forget was at a dinner party in HK when my kung fu brother and I were sitting at our table and he came over to us and showed us some close combat applications for 10 minutes..he had few drinks in and loves to that then..
    Those are the best times, that's when you truly get the "gems".

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Funny, people tend to "rush" their sets to show their speed and power BUT doing a set with a weapon in a slow, fluid and intentful fashion is far harder IMO.
    I can definitely agree. In out hop gar though, when doing the forms we go fast when training the forms so we get used to doing the techniques in rapid succession so we can get used to how we would be doing them in an actual fight. Also, it puts the footwork to the test with all the twisting and turning since my Sifu doesn't have a prearranged set of footwork with the form. We are encouraged to move in different every single time we "play" the form. Other times, we go real slow so as to make sure all the connections and the like are in place.

On the subject of the master, awesome performance and you can tell in every move he has the "inch" power.
    Last edited by crazedjustice88; 07-09-2014 at 09:34 AM.

I like that tiger fork performance. Everyone that plays that weapon needs to watch this before picking it back up. Look how short he keeps his grip in relation to the head. He's using the handle for leverage. Too many people try to treat tiger fork (and guan dao, for that matter) like a spear. Its not a range weapon. Yes, it can have range, but its not a long range weapon. A spear is a true long range weapon. The handle is more for maximizing thrust and providing leverage against one's body for the arcing sweeps.

Heres a short clip from what I was talking earlier..when he came to our table and were doing applications with us
    my wife were taking pics the whole time and only recorded a few seconds..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKQB6r1cDTE

In the first section of video in post #1 , HungKuenh, you can see how closely related this formset is to the Red Boat Wing Chun hand forms.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 07-10-2014 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    In the first section of video in post #1 , HungKuenh, you can see how closely related this formset is to the Red Boat Wing Chun hand forms.
    There are plenty of sets or sections in Hung Kuen which support that thought ...
    Heres another video where the same gentleman plays our night tiger set....
    you will see clearly the connections..this night tiger set probably pre dates the hung kuen of lam sai wing..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIc5t7PSLSc