Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to this forum

Anyone who thinks this forum is the norm for social media is hanging out on yahoo news comments way too much.

It's a crapstorm and everyone knows it. And Hendrick hasn't even been here to take the blame for a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

Ok, that's not directed at you in particular, KPM. It's more of a comment to everyone here. You like it. You all like it. Or you'd just leave. You wouldn't post about leaving. Been there, done that, so many times here. You'd just leave.

Ah! I guess I have my answer! You DO go along with the behavior I have noted and evidently see nothing wrong with it. Fine. But you are wrong. I don't like it. It isn't acceptable in other social situations. Why is it acceptable here? And I will leave, just as many others have in the past. Pretty soon all that will be left is the a55hole club to argue amongst themselves. The quality people with good things to say left long ago, or post very very seldom. There is a reason for that. Too bad you can't see that Gene. So. Let it be known that if this particular subforum either tanks or continues to be a cr@pfest it is because the moderators refused to take action and let good people be chased away.
    Last edited by KPM; 07-09-2014 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    To be fair I've seen plenty of b1tchfests on FaceTweet. Even 140 characters doesn't seem to limit human drama. There seems to be this unending pull with people being wrong on the internet.

One interesting thing to look at is over the years the people have changed but many of the arguments have not. Proponents of both sides of maybe a few arguments around here have been going back and forth for quite a while. Topics like:

chi sau
    sparring
    history
    mo duk

Well, 3 topics and the last one is a phenomenon that goes along with technology. The phenomenon is that no matter who is posting on an internet forum, they are the only one on that forum with this - everyone else does not.
    I agree with most of what you say here. Unfortunately there is always going to be some repetition in debate as and when new members come along. One way to get around this is to have stickies on certain themes that have been well debated before. Such stickies would operate as an index of sorts and would contain links to previous threads on said topics. If I get some time later this week I will collate one such index like thread and post it as an example.

Thanks Guys, this has given us things to ponder on.
    Fact is that without the drama, we really wouldn't have much in terms of discussion in the WC forum, what does that tell you?
    We don't want to eliminate discussions and debates, far from that.
    What must be done is discussion and debates with some sort of civility.
    I think that Gene has made it clear that if YOU want the forum to be better, it falls on YOU more than on Us.
    That said, we will be moderating the threads far more than we have in the past and personal attacks and such will not be tolerated.
    I don't think it is too much to ask to be civil and respectful to each other even if you don't agree.
    Now, that said we have no problem in BS being called BS BUT realize that there is a difference in saying a persons view is full of it and stating why compared to saying the PERSON is full of it.
    That difference is pretty obvious to all and those that refuse to "see it" will be dealt accordingly.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

There's nothing wrong with having a good discussion and that then turning into a bit of an argument But the name-calling is something else. Not because its hurtful (sticks and stones, and all that...) but because it's off topic and takes away from the talking/arguing about something that is WCK related.

Often people ask good questions, or make good points, and it gets lost in the name-calling and then completely sunk by those who add to it by jumping on the band wagon. Some people here use this as a tactic to avoid answering further questions (it's the best way to derail a thread).

On this forum (http://rumsoakedfist.org) for internal martial arts discussion, there's been some cracking arguments but by and large it is full of people who share and have fun. It helps that they have sub-forums where people can rant if they want, and post jokes if they want, etc. The "Test-No-Topic" thread is a thing of wonder.

So thinking about it this morning, and having read here the moderators comments about what will still be allowed in the future, I think I'll bow out. Have fun, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT.. View Post
    There's nothing wrong with having a good discussion and that then turning into a bit of an argument But the name-calling is something else. Not because its hurtful (sticks and stones, and all that...) but because it's off topic and takes away from the talking/arguing about something that is WCK related.

Often people ask good questions, or make good points, and it gets lost in the name-calling and then completely sunk by those who add to it by jumping on the band wagon. Some people here use this as a tactic to avoid answering further questions (it's the best way to derail a thread).

On this forum (http://rumsoakedfist.org) for internal martial arts discussion, there's been some cracking arguments but by and large it is full of people who share and have fun. It helps that they have sub-forums where people can rant if they want, and post jokes if they want, etc. The "Test-No-Topic" thread is a thing of wonder.

So thinking about it this morning, and having read here the moderators comments about what will still be allowed in the future, I think I'll bow out. Have fun, guys.
    Of course and that is the point, there is NO NEED for name calling and insults simple because it is, well, unbecoming, uncivilized and quite simply unacceptable.
    So it must stop.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Hard hitting news that relates closely:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/loc...internet,2500/

An article about a study regarding language in online discussion:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/op...nks.html?_r=1&

And last, an article about ways website owners can deal with issues that come up:

http://dashes.com/anil/2011/07/if-yo...our-fault.html

I think the most applicable thing in the last one is giving mods the power to delete AND ban, and having more than one mod for problem forums/comment sections.

And, for those who think that this is about martial artists liking to fight, the logical extension of this idea is that you are all total pussies compared to reddit users and the members of any cat forum.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    And I will leave, just as many others have in the past. Pretty soon all that will be left is the a55hole club to argue amongst themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by BPWT.. View Post
    Positive results already!
    "Ving Tsun is a horse not everybody can ride"

Wong Shun Leung.

I foresee Spock and Beatrice pulling a Hendrik... "I'm leaving here for good"... A couple days later, makes 3 topics and 20 odd posts.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    I foresee Spock and Beatrice pulling a Hendrik... "I'm leaving here for good"... A couple days later, makes 3 topics and 20 odd posts.
    Beatrice is probably writing one now after "bowing" out!

Wong Shun Leung.

What mods and admins say and what they mean is often necessarily different. I've had this same argument on other forums here with admins, right before they ban problem members anyway.

Calls to self moderate do not generally work, but are still necessary as a preface to further action. Those that are left figure out that it's not 4chan and the dynamic changes.

Members should always keep in mind that Gene is more beholden to more lineages than we will ever be, so all his efforts must seek middle ground. Like I've said before, he has 14 forums on here where he doesn't put up with this. The idea that you are special is an illusion. You are the most common kung fu style in the world. He can repopulate this forum in a day.

Nobody can deny this forum is not entertaining from time to time. People like Spock don't know how to have harmless banter.

You know that is the problem with those pesky Vulcans.

Wong Shun Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Nobody can deny this forum is not entertaining from time to time. People like Spock don't know how to have harmless banter.

You know that is the problem with those pesky Vulcans.
    Banter is between friends. Are you saying you're his friend?

Quote Originally Posted by Faux Newbie View Post
    He can repopulate this forum in a day.
    Anything is possible. Apparently it only took God 7 days to create everything.

Wong Shun Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by Faux Newbie View Post
    Banter is between friends. Are you saying you're his friend?
    Well really as we all come to this forum for the same reason and we are all quite familiar with each other then yes in a certain way we are like friends. Wing Chun fwwwwweinds!

Wong Shun Leung.