Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Changes to this forum

Banter=/= insults to people you obviously do not like.

Argument=/= insults to people you obviously do not like.

It's only trolling for the fun of it when you don't just do it to people you don't like. Otherwise, it's just bickering.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Well really as we all come to this forum for the same reason and we are all quite familiar with each other then yes in a certain way we are like friends. Wing Chun fwwwwweinds!
    You people are insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Faux Newbie View Post
    Banter=/= insults to people you obviously do not like.

Argument=/= insults to people you obviously do not like.

It's only trolling for the fun of it when you don't just do it to people you don't like. Otherwise, it's just bickering.
    Ok bickering it is.

Do you need a little cuddle or something? Bit of a bad day have we?
    "Ving Tsun is a horse not everybody can ride"

Wong Shun Leung.

You people are insane.
    Yep.......................

Wong Shun Leung.

Ok bickering it is.

Actually, very good day. This doesn't mean I can't see the difference between a clever troll and someone who is arguing with people they don't like and pretending it's a clever troll.

It's more fun when you manage to troll your friends, instead of needing them to be on your side to win an argument.

Actually, very good day. This doesn't mean I can't see the difference between a clever troll and someone who is arguing with people they don't like and pretending it's a clever troll.

It's more fun when you manage to troll your friends, instead of needing them to be on your side to win an argument.
    Ok call it what you like.

I'm all for a productive discussions on Wing Chun it just rarely happens here and even if there are glimmers of hope it soon descends back into the normal routine. Its always been that way before me, during me and will be after me. That's just how it is in this world of www.

Productive things in Wing Chun happen when everybody is in the same room face to face NOT on the internet!

Wong Shun Leung.

Ok call it what you like.

I'm all for a productive discussions on Wing Chun it just rarely happens here and even if there are glimmers of hope it soon descends back into the normal routine. Its always been that way before me, during me and will be after me. That's just how it is in this world of www.

Productive things in Wing Chun happen when everybody is in the same room face to face NOT on the internet!
    Funny, that doesn't describe the other fourteen forums. So, BS. There is some trolling, some discussion, some off topic stuff. Here, it's all flame wars and people pretending they're trolls but really just arguing points they passionately believe.

As I've said, all the forums here used to be the same. They aren't now.

I'm willing to bet that if the members on here talking tough are doing this on facebook, they're doing it on pages that their family and long time friends have no chance of seeing. Because they know they are being ridiculous. Not because they are tough.

The internet history of tough talking martial artists has not exactly been a history of tough guys who win fights.

If none of the places on the internet you are on are more productive than this, perhaps you're choosing to be in such environments. There are plenty that have more content without losing the occasional "www" silliness. That does not describe this one out of fourteen forums. Do the math.

Additionally, trolling a mod thread is a pretty flagrant way of saying you have no intention of working with the site that gives you space to talk. You really want to do that?

Nobody can deny this forum is not entertaining from time to time. People like Spock don't know how to have harmless banter.

You know that is the problem with those pesky Vulcans.
    Agreed - Grumblegeezer.

--being able to participate in a conversation without getting all bent out of shape every time somebody teases you is a more important life skill than anything you learn in WC/VT.

...or maybe it IS the conversational equivalent to what we train physically in WC/VT, i.e. yielding/flexing under direct pressure and borrowing/redirecting the force. To reference another art, you've got to be verbally able to slip the jab instead of having moderators ban all jabs. Sure, ban the low blows, but jabs? HTFU!
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    Agreed - Grumblegeezer.

--being able to participate in a conversation without getting all bent out of shape every time somebody teases you is a more important life skill than anything you learn in WC/VT.
    I can agree with this. However, in the real world, and in a lot of other forums, this is not the same as simply allowing people who insult all day to have free reign, imo.

...or maybe it IS the conversational equivalent to what we train physically in WC/VT, i.e. yielding/flexing under direct pressure and borrowing/redirecting the force. To reference another art, you've got to be verbally able to slip the jab instead of having moderators ban all jabs. Sure, ban the low blows, but jabs? HTFU!
    And as soon as people are willing to define low blows in a rational way, I'd be happy to agree with this. But the fact is, we all agree to respectful discussion in agreeing to membership. Members who take part in none, except with people who help them troll, tend to try to run an endgame around what they agreed to, and it definitely tends to affect the forum.

I'm pretty sure none of us can point to one forum where this sort of call to not moderate has actually worked. Does wing chun advocate responses that don't work?

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    Agreed - Grumblegeezer.

Exactly. If you're not mentally tough enough to handle the harmless teasing that goes on here, I can't imagine you'd be a real fighter of any caliber. I just chuckle at it. It's like the good kid that got picked on in grade school for always telling everyone "follow the rules, play nice, or I tell". It was always funny to watch them pout when the cool teacher told them to HTFU and quit being a tattletale. I mean, it's a freaking internet forum. I can't imagine how they get along in life.

Again, people agreed to some level of respectful discussion. If they don't want to live up to that, then they shouldn't whine about being called out on it.

If, in real life, you don't call people out sometimes on trying to dominate conversation, you are weak. On the internet, if you do, you are weak.

People here argue like non-fighters on political comments pages. This doesn't make them real fighters.

If you can't handle someone talking about bridging in a way you don't agree with, you really have no leg to stand on in others not agreeing with out of control childish behavior.

It's worth noting that the excuse is never that it's not childish, but that it's "the internet". In the real world, fighters don't exactly let you call them idiots for the fun of it. Please, try it some time. On most useful forums, it's moderated. 14/15 here. If you don't think the times are changing, you aren't paying attention.

Ok bickering it is.

Hey Graham, I could use a cuddle. England is a far way from here. Perhaps you could send me your old Teddy Bear?

Seriously though, ...well sort of...

I can take it when you say:

1. My old sifu acts like a clown

2. Makes inflated, outrageous claims

3. Is all about making money

4. Is not a very nice person

5. Teaches some fighting methods that are downright ineffective (especially against good grapplers)

6. Has lousy technique/comprehension of WC

Furthermore, I firmly disagree with you on number 6! What bugs me is when some people say the same thing over and over. Then they get involved in back and forth bickering that never ends and messes up the thread for everyone else. For example, you may think my old sifu is a clown and I'm a chump, fine. Saying it once did the job. I'm not going to argue with you. So that's over, right? Now if you'll please send the teddy, I'll cover shipping. --Steve
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Actually, I'm not sure why the Yip Man thread was closed. We were in the middle of having a discussion about how we understand the wooden dummy differently from one another. Between the teasing there was still good conversation being had and points being made. One could choose to let the teasing wash off and just continue discussing the points being made. Some people want to ignore the good parts and amplify the parts unpleasing to them. I don't get it.

1) Occasional insulting behavior=something someone should be able to endure

2) Constant insulting behavior= something no one should be expected to put up with

The second is CLEARLY in violation of the agreement everyone made to join the forum, and CLEARLY describes some people on this and only this forum here.