Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to this forum

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    I understand that this is probably not realistic mut my wish would be to only allow deletion of threads to happen by a moderator. If someone wants to delete a thread they started (most of the time because it's not going a way that makes them look good - poor excuse IMO), they should have to contact a moderator to do it. Then, if the mod sees there is nothing wrong with the thread, leave it up. And, if the mod sees the same few people continuously creating/deleting threads, then they'll see the real issue.
    I say this because IMO, too many good posts and discussions get removed by those playing self-appointed forum mods with creating/deleting numerous threads.

That said, I feel heavy handed mod'g should be done with warnings and banning. I don't think it's necessary to go thru the hassle of continuous monitoring & deleting of every individual post on every single thread - that's asking too much of the mods. And frankly, if people need that level of baby sitting, then the subforum should simply just be shut down. A warning (or two) to the guilty party followed by banning if it keeps up will clean things up in a few weeks. Same goes for spamming.
    When a thread is deleted, it can always be brought back by a mod or admin, regardless of who deletes it.
    That said, we tend to respect the wishes of the thread originator on these matters.
    Sure we have some guys that abuse it and whenever a thread doesn't go their way they delete it but then we ALL know who they are and why they did it so they obviously show a huge inferiority complex when they do that.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Banning rules

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I've modded on a few forums, when we couldn't ban people due to forum rules we went with an infraction system.
    We reserve the right to ban anyone at anytime for any reason. This is a privately-owned forum and it exists due to the support of KungFuMagazine.com and Tiger Claw. At any point, the powers that be there may ask to have a member banned or a thread deleted. They may overrule all the mods, myself included. They may even opt to turn the forum off. Fortunately, they give me a lot of leeway to run this beast, so we're good with them on the whole. Nevertheless, the forum rules are guidelines and can be overruled from several directions. We are not bound by them to ban or delete.

If you are possessive of posts you made on threads that were deleted by the thread instigator, while I appreciate your concern and attention, you are investing way too much in this internet forum. It's just a web forum.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    When a thread is deleted, it can always be brought back by a mod or admin, regardless of who deletes it.
    That said, we tend to respect the wishes of the thread originator on these matters.
    Sure we have some guys that abuse it and whenever a thread doesn't go their way they delete it but then we ALL know who they are and why they did it so they obviously show a huge inferiority complex when they do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    If you are possessive of posts you made on threads that were deleted by the thread instigator, while I appreciate your concern and attention, you are investing way too much in this internet forum. It's just a web forum.
    Fair enough! And also why I just stated it was a wish and probably unrealistic. Not a big deal really in the big scheme of things
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Fair enough! And also why I just stated it was a wish and probably unrealistic. Not a big deal really in the big scheme of things
    Come on, we ALL Know why some one deletes a thread, they are fooling anyone with their "high and mighty superiour" BS.

The things that the WC forum are famous for : lineage wars, personal insults, "my shifu is better than your shifu" and we have the "real WC".

Read that and see how incredibly silly it all seems to outsiders and why most thing the WC forum is full or wackos.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Come on, we ALL Know why some one deletes a thread, they are fooling anyone with their "high and mighty superiour" BS.

The things that the WC forum are famous for : lineage wars, personal insults, "my shifu is better than your shifu" and we have the "real WC".

Read that and see how incredibly silly it all seems to outsiders and why most thing the WC forum is full or wackos.
    haha, agreed all around.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I've modded on a few forums, when we couldn't ban people due to forum rules we went with an infraction system.

1. Trolling in an obvious way to get insulting replies or just repeating the same annoying thing over and over again to rile people up gives an infraction
    2. Personal attacks and name calling gives an infraction
    3. 3 infractions means loss of posting privileges for 1 month, 4 infractions for 3 months, 5 infractions 6 months
    Actually, I kinda like the idea of an "infraction" or demerit system ...possibly linked to titles, granted according to the type of infraction. Rather than a rigid point system though, the criteria could be comfortably vague so that Gene and the mods could bestow titles capriciously and with absolute authority like monarchs. Titles could be awarded in three levels or grades, with level 3 resulting in a ban. How about these titles for starters:

For rude, "fraud-busting" and "lineage-bashing" (as in "you're stupid and your sifu is a total tool") = Level 1, 2 and 3 JACKA$$

For rude, raunchy and sexually explicit references (no example necessary) = Level 1, 2, and 3 Bawanger ...or Ba-wanker?

For hounding posters across threads and de-railing the threads by hectoring their target over unrelated topics= Level 1, 2, and 3 STFU Already!

For people who get stuck in an endless and unresolvable back and forth argument, re-stating the same dang things over and over for page after page= Level 1, 2, and 3 If you kids don't stop it right now, I'm pulling the car over!!! ...this could also lead to locking a thread, Que no?

For endless whining (whinging) and complaining about anything = Level 1,2, and 3 HTFU you Crybaby!...

Anyway, you get the idea...
    Last edited by Grumblegeezer; 07-08-2014 at 01:05 PM.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

lol Grumblegeezer

We don't need no stinkin' infraction rules. We can pull the car over whenever we like.

Seriously, it's not like this is a sporting event where maintaining fairness keeps spectators happy. This is a privately-owned web forum. Membership is free, pending approval, and banning is always an option.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Dunno, reading through this it seems like everyone needs to spend a week to create their "fursonas" and then this forum will transcend into the bliss of everyone making purring noises and petting each other. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom

This is a perfect example of a post that was meant as a taunt or a bait and that contributed nothing to the topic of the thread. It is a perfect example of a post meant only to "be cute" or tick someone off and should be deleted from a thread. Just sayin........

Let me be clear that hurting another's feelings and being an ass does NOT get you banned.
    We are using "ban" in the wrong context. It is clear that Gene and Sanjuro are seeing this as a last resort and a permanent thing. What most of us have been talking about is a temporary bar from posting...not a complete ban. If someone can't play nice with others, make them stand in the corner for awhile! This is what I was saying in my initial post and what Miguel was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    This is a perfect example of a post that was meant as a taunt or a bait and that contributed nothing to the topic of the thread. It is a perfect example of a post meant only to "be cute" or tick someone off and should be deleted from a thread. Just sayin........
    My post was a perfect example of what I see reading the whining on this thread. What it contributes is an opinion different than yours. Which is plenty enough to give it value. What it shows though is that posters like you DO have an underlying agenda. You want to be "fake nice" and enact bans for people who aren't "fake nice" like you. So in other words to put this in MMA terms you want this forum to have a makeup of 100% Meisha Tate, and 0% Ronda Rousey.
    Last edited by Wayfaring; 07-08-2014 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    My post was a perfect example of what I see reading the whining on this thread. What it contributes is an opinion different than yours. Which is plenty enough to give it value. What it shows though is that posters like you DO have an underlying agenda. You want to be "fake nice" and enact bans for people who aren't "fake nice" like you. So in other words to put this in MMA terms you want this forum to have a makeup of 100% Meisha Tate, and 0% Ronda Rousey.
    Gene, Sanjuro.....please tell me that I'm not the only one that sees the attitude displayed above as part of the problem. Because if you can go along with both of Wayfaring's posts in this thread and see nothing wrong with either one, then I'm out of here and never coming back.

So, we all agree that this forum needs to change and that we have far too many issues and dramas here, correct?

I am asking for suggestion, your top 3.

Remember this is a thread started by a moderator and a sure fire way to get your ass banned will be to start drama and try to highjack THIS thread, understood?

Now, the EASY way would be to lay down the moderator hammer on this forum and apply zero tolerance to every and any thread based on the sole discretion of the moderating staff BUT I think that all here will agree that is not the best way and deep down I know you guys want this forum to be a great one so I am giving you guys the benefit of the doubt and allowing you to tell US what you think needs to be done.

Fair enough?
    So my top 3:

1. Sub forum for TCMA research. It's kind of specific and those threads are problematic here. Nothing unique to wing chun that research wouldn't be helped by combining with research from other TCMAs.
    2 and 3. Who cares. This is an antiquated bulletin board technology that is rapidly becoming obsolete anyway for more modern forms of social interaction. If I'm interested I'll post here, but really, who cares.

I post here and have for years simply because it's about the only place on the internet I've found people from different lineages of wing chun and continents will actually talk to each other. The fact that they are arguing reflects their views of each others' lineages in real life mostly. What I see is right now there are a handful of posters that don't want anyone disagreeing with them, and want to ban everyone else who does. I mean this whole topic of bans, putting people on ignore, putting rules around people's interactions, complaining about posts. To me this is childish behavior. If you don't like someone's tone ignore their post, like I did on KPM's last retort on the sparring thread. Don't whine on and on and on about it. Geez. Am I back in grade school? Teacher, Jimmy threw an apple at me.
    Last edited by Wayfaring; 07-08-2014 at 02:25 PM.

Gene, Sanjuro.....please tell me that I'm not the only one that sees the attitude displayed above as part of the problem. Because if you can go along with both of Wayfaring's posts in this thread and see nothing wrong with either one, then I'm out of here and never coming back.
    And I view behavior of threatening to leave a message board as part of the problem. It is an age-old trick of emotional bribery to get authorities to take action against someone who has a different opinion from you.
    Last edited by Wayfaring; 07-08-2014 at 02:38 PM.

So, we all agree that this forum needs to change and that we have far too many issues and dramas here, correct?

I am asking for suggestion, your top 3.

Remember this is a thread started by a moderator and a sure fire way to get your ass banned will be to start drama and try to highjack THIS thread, understood?

Now, the EASY way would be to lay down the moderator hammer on this forum and apply zero tolerance to every and any thread based on the sole discretion of the moderating staff BUT I think that all here will agree that is not the best way and deep down I know you guys want this forum to be a great one so I am giving you guys the benefit of the doubt and allowing you to tell US what you think needs to be done.

Fair enough?
    I think everything is ok as it is.

Take away Hendriks spamming of the forum, and the playful banter, and there would be 2 posts a week

So my question would be.......... change to what?

THATS whats wrong with the forum, stop moaning!