Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    Yeah, as antiquated as the written word itself. BB and forum tech and the way people communicate online has not changed much. All that changes is who gets the majority of the audience and 'sells their digital space the best', rather than proper technological change or advancement. Even the most up-to-date plug and play forums are not that much more advanced than what we have here.
    To be fair I've seen plenty of b1tchfests on FaceTweet. Even 140 characters doesn't seem to limit human drama. There seems to be this unending pull with people being wrong on the internet.

One interesting thing to look at is over the years the people have changed but many of the arguments have not. Proponents of both sides of maybe a few arguments around here have been going back and forth for quite a while. Topics like:

chi sau
    sparring
    history
    mo duk

Well, 3 topics and the last one is a phenomenon that goes along with technology. The phenomenon is that no matter who is posting on an internet forum, they are the only one on that forum with this - everyone else does not.
    Last edited by Wayfaring; 07-08-2014 at 09:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    The funniest thing is in the past, we TCMA guys had to argue with MMA guys. Today, those arguments are pretty much gone, but we TCMA guys start to argue among ourselves.

Most of the argument between the TCMA and the MMA is "If any TCMA technique that has not been seen in UFC, it must be low successful rate technique". That kind of argument will go nowhere.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-08-2014 at 10:03 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

The things that the WC forum are famous for : lineage wars, personal insults, "my shifu is better than your shifu" and we have the "real WC".
    So why not take action to stop or discourage those, assuming that there will be anything left?

Personally, I feel lineage wars are an anachronistic joke in the age of the UFC.

Personal insults? IMO those who whine about this the most are among the principal offenders when it suits them. And that includes all you passive-aggressive, moral-high-ground-claiming, higher-level-of-civil-discourse-demanding a**holes

"My shifu is better than your shifu". At what? Keyboard warriorship? Kev and Graham were among the worst at this of recent times but they also posted some good clips and good posts.

I don't care if my WC is real or fake, as long as it's effective.

If someone posts absolute balderdash, I'm going to have a go at them. If they insult me, I'll insult them back, or maybe get in first. Do with my forum membership what you will. In some ways and in some circles, getting banned from this forum might not be seen as a bad thing.

This really only came up because of the recent Emei/Snake/Crane spamming of the forum by Hendrik, Minghequan (sp?) the snake/crane dude whose name I have intentionally forgotten, and those in their thrall who traded enormous long lists of each other's moral failings and various types of feet of clay in the resulting spam apocalypse.

IMO things aren't that bad. To paraphrase somebody, "if you don't like it, F*** OFF".
    Last edited by anerlich; 07-08-2014 at 11:38 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    I think everything is ok as it is.

Take away Hendriks spamming of the forum, and the playful banter, and there would be 2 posts a week

So my question would be.......... change to what?
    I agree with Glenda!

This forum would be pretty quiet without the banter. Some people take it too far and make things personal which could change, some people talk a load of old nonsense (no names) and some people like to moan and whine (no names) at everything which could also change.

I think the forum is fine the way it is. It's no different to any other forum. Take a look at the main German forums. The WT guys fight with everybody. That's just the way it is in the world of internet forums. Wing Chun is not the only culprit.

I also find it funny that some of you think that others act like children. I think you are just as bad. You know who you are.....................................
    "Ving Tsun is a horse not everybody can ride"

Wong Shun Leung.

<<<<<insert post by KPM>>>>>>> "see the above is exactly what I'm talking about blah blah".............

Really it's not that bad is it?

I think it was LFJ that said "I read what people write, I add my own view and then I move on" (or something like that)

I think some people must wake up in the night worrying about it all

Wong Shun Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    I also find it funny that some of you think that others act like children. I think you are just as bad. You know who you are.....................................
    True. And I know who I am
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Lolage....................

Wong Shun Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Yes. And we all know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Yes. And we all know who you are.
    Yep, just the way I like it!

Wong Shun Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    <<<<<insert post by KPM>>>>>>> "see the above is exactly what I'm talking about blah blah".............

Really it's not that bad is it?

I think it was LFJ that said "I read what people write, I add my own view and then I move on" (or something like that)

I think some people must wake up in the night worrying about it all
    Yup, exactly. He didn't like your tone several pages back, and then several pages forward we're all discussing a topic and he has to keep bringing it back up and whine about it for several posts/pages. That's just as distracting as spamming and makes a mountain out of a molehill.

If people could just look past tone and see what someone's saying and either choose to respond to the message and not the tone or just move on, then there really wouldn't be a problem here. There's nothing wrong with a little teasing during a discussion and it can be ignored. If someone really can't handle it, they aren't mentally tough enough to post here, much less be a supposed fighter.

Seriously, this place is not that bad, apart from the character assassinations/suicides that were going on between Hendrik and all those other guys with broken English in obnoxiously bold red lettering.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    ....if you don't agree with what I have been saying just tell me. Because I don't want to continue to be part of a forum where rude and disrespectful behavior is acceptable.
    You mean like this?

Wong Shun Leung.

Collectively agree a code of conduct or rules and post them as a sticky.
    I guess I'll exclude myself from the collective. I'm happy with the way I'm behaving and have no interest in setting rules for others. If someone starts acting like a d*ck, I'll treat them like one. I know I'd be getting it back and deserve it if/when I acted that way.

Seriously, this place is not that bad, apart from the character assassinations/suicides that were going on between Hendrik and all those other guys with broken English in obnoxiously bold red lettering.
    I agree, though the main problem with all that was that it got repetitive and boring real quick and the main players were claiming to be pillars of virtue while acting like the exact opposite. There have been far more interesting flame wars in the past.
    Last edited by anerlich; 07-09-2014 at 05:43 AM.

The funniest thing is in the past, we TCMA guys had to argue with MMA guys. Today, those arguments are pretty much gone, but we TCMA guys start to argue among ourselves.
    Internecine b!tching in TCMA was going on way before MMA got invented and will continue well into the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    Agreed --Grumblegeezer

*Included as an example. KPM means well, God bless him, but sometimes he is asking for a "Level 1 HTFU" title -- to use the criteria from my earlier post
    You may think so. But it seems we have FINALLY gotten a moderator's attention to take some kind of action. We'll see what comes of it. The option would have been to continue to just tolerate bad behavior and nothing would ever change. I'm tired of being told to HTFU by people who just want to continue to act like a55holes and not be held responsible. So again, call it anything you want....whining, moaning, carrying on.....but if the volume of a55hole isn't matched by the volume of "whining" then nothing is going to change.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    You may think so. But it seems we have FINALLY gotten a moderator's attention to take some kind of action. We'll see what comes of it. The option would have been to continue to just tolerate bad behavior and nothing would ever change. I'm tired of being told to HTFU by people who just want to continue to act like a55holes and not be held responsible. So again, call it anything you want....whining, moaning, carrying on.....but if the volume of a55hole isn't matched by the volume of "whining" then nothing is going to change.
    You need to lighten up!

Have a Coke, a smile and STFU!

Wong Shun Leung.