Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Throws you often find useful in your wing chun

Throws you often find useful in your wing chun

As the title, what throws do you often find to be useful in your wing chun, or in combination if they are not from wing chun?

Quote Originally Posted by Faux Newbie View Post
    As the title, what throws do you often find to be useful in your wing chun, or in combination if they are not from wing chun?
    Hmmmm, I tend to find sweeps and trips are what I find most useful but I am not sure if they are considered throws proper. As some of the sweeps and trips need you to load the opponents weight on a given leg or offset slightly their centre of balance (breaking their body mass' alignment with the jic seen?) and that throws too sometimes require this, perhaps they can be discussed here?

Either way, given my judo background and despite there being sweeps and trips in the wing chun system as I see it, my bias is Japenese;

1) ko-soto-gari 2) ko-uchi gari 3) o-uchi-gari 4) o-soto-gari 5) de-ashi-barai 6) hize-guruma and sometimes if opponent has a very narrow stance 7) sasae-tsuri-komi-ashi 8) okuri-ashi-barai 9) harai-tsuri-komi-ashi

I embed a reference chart below so you can see what I am referring to.

Although with some of the techniques I list some will put their entire body weight in to it and often land on their opponent, I have a preference for trying to stay standing when incorporating it into my wing chun training. Indeed remaining upright and stable (as much as possible) is my rationale for choosing these techniques over others in my wing chun and what I find the most useful.

There are throws in the WCK system???????????

Where??
    "Ving Tsun is a horse not everybody can ride"

Wong Shun Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    There are throws in the WCK system???????????

Where??
    Are directing that question at Faux Newbie or myself?

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    Are directing that question at Faux Newbie or myself?
    Nobody in particular!

Wong Shun Leung.

Nobody in particular!
    I would reply that there are sweeps and trips in the wing chun system as I know it. I have seen many, including PB, use what I would call sweeps and trips.

I would reply that there are sweeps and trips in the wing chun system as I know it. I have seen many, including PB, use what I would call sweeps and trips.
    There are no sweeps and trips in my WCK.

Where do you think they are?

.............or should I say where are they in yours and where do you think you have seen them in PBVT?

Wong Shun Leung.

There are no sweeps and trips in my WCK.

Where do you think they are?

.............or should I say where are they in yours and where do you think you have seen them in PBVT?
    I have seen them in the video clips of PB training. What do you mean by 'where are they in yours'? I can't answer for PB btw, so you will have to take it up with him if you want to direct your question to his WCK.
    Last edited by Paddington; 07-10-2014 at 06:11 AM.

I have seen them in the video clips of PB training. What do you mean by 'where are they in yours'? I can't answer for PB btw, so you will have to take it up with him if you want to direct you question to his WCK.
    I don't want to direct my question at him! If you think you have seen him do a trip or foot sweep then show me the link/evidence.

What is the harm in asking where the foot sweeps are in your system? You seen to be going on the defensive rather quickly when you should be open to discussing where there are actions in PB's VT that I don't know about and have never seen him do on video footage!

If you have foot sweeps in your system then great! Do what you want! I don't and that's that. IMO nor should Bayer! If you have seen them I can ask.

Wong Shun Leung.

......................you make me laugh Paddington as you are always saying things about PB without knowing anything about him or his KF. It's bizarre.

Wong Shun Leung.

......................you make me laugh Paddington as you are always saying things about PB without knowing anything about him or his KF. It's bizarre.
    I just made a comment based upon the videos I have seen on youtube where he uses, in conjunction with other things, his feet and legs to knock someone down. I can't comment on anything beyond that. If you want to go search for the videos then be my guest.

As for where I practice trips and sweeps in my wing chun during my solo training, well, I use the dummy, the opening of biu jee and circle stepping, three point stepping, and a kicking dummy.

I chose to include the judo references because I have trained in judo and the examples I cite are those most similar to what I train with respects to wing chun and my understanding of sweep and trips therein, particularly when incorporated into a chi sau training format.
    Last edited by Paddington; 07-10-2014 at 06:28 AM.

I just made a comment based upon the videos I have seen on youtube where he uses, in conjunction with other things, his feet and legs to knock someone down. I can't comment on anything beyond that. If you want to go search for the videos then be my guest.

As for where I practice trips and sweeps in my wing chun during my solo training, well, I use the dummy, the opening of biu jee and circle stepping, three point stepping, and a kicking dummy.

I chose to include the judo references because I have trained in judo and the examples I cite are those most similar to what I train with respects to wing chun and my understanding of sweep and trips therein, particularly when incorporated into a chi sau training format.
    Ok that's no problem but I never seen him knock anybody down with a foot sweep or trip and I've never seen it on video. I've seen them all so it's puzzling.

The circling of the legs in my BJ is not a foot sweep and kicking the dummy isn't either. There is also a very good reason why we circle step in VT and it's not to do with foot sweeps in my system. If that's how your WCK is then fine.

Putting Judo into Chi Sau or VT in general is a big no no for me. If you can make it work, great but it defeats the whole idea in my opinion.

Wong Shun Leung.

Yeah definitely the foot sweep. But it's not wing chun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug9_rymsEic

Seth's pretty good at these. He's got variations of it he's worked on and taught a bunch of people. Variations like the gravitron 3000, the bully, the lone wolf. They work pretty well. He is a bit ****y naming stuff like that as a purple belt, but one of my friends did guillotine choke him in about 20 sec at the last tournament after he was a bit too dedicated to this approach so it's all good. Seth has showed me all of these and they are very legit. That video is Seth basically KO'ing somebody at the Pans this year. The guy hits his head and is dazed. Seth on the ground there tells the guy "I know you're almost out - just tap out" and the guy did. This was a non striking grappling tournament to the uneducated. Just shows the potential.

Graham, here are a couple of examples:

@0:40
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-NjPDwUA18

@1:00
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km7xuoeF5B0

There's another good one where the guy rolls over backward, but I can't seem to find it.

Ok that's no problem but I never seen him knock anybody down with a foot sweep or trip and I've never seen it on video. I've seen them all so it's puzzling.
    Well maybe you have not seen them all. For example in the video below at around the minute mark there is what looks like to me a sweep.

~EDIT: I find it easier to watch them when the audio is muted.
    Last edited by Paddington; 07-10-2014 at 07:43 AM.