Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
Fair enough, would you consider that when one steps behind an opponents leg and uses that as a brace for him to "trip or fall" over while unbalancing them with hand movements to be a throw?? The hand movements can be an elbow strike or some sort of grab etc.

If you can accept that the above scenario meets the criteria for a throw then you can find examples of such in Wing Chun.
I'm not overly anal about what consists of a throw or trip. judo has plenty of both. In a fight, getting someone off their feet to the ground where you are on your feet has strategic advantage.

Since I like to think in terms of concepts and not specific techniques, to me you could find the "energy" for throws in many instances. When you grab the dummy head and pull towards you, with the proper foot position that could be a throw. When you do the turning movements within the CK where you are using Lan Sau or some may see elbow strikes, the very act of using your body as a single entity while turning could, in the right circumstances, present the opportunity to throw someone.
Absolutely. And since wing chun has a main effectiveness area in a close striking range the combination of close range strikes and body weight manipulation including pushing people over a leg or hip is very viable for a strategy. Whatever you want to name it. My sifu was particularly adept at stepping on people's feet - meaning the lead foot just by manipulating range. That always affected my balance and gave him an advantage.

To my thinking, throws in Wing Chun are not like Hip or Shoulder throws, I think I said that already , rather they are more like sweeps or foot throws. Utilizing that concept I can find throws all throughout my Wing Chun. Of course, one must have good balance and footwork for this to work. When I "throw" someone it is more like I put my leg in the way and allow them to fall over it, very little effort on my part, or so I strive for little effort. Then again, perhaps these are not throws as they certainly lack the appeal of Hip and Shoulder throws which are a bit more flashy.

So if you are looking for throws which look like Hip and Shoulder throws then no, I do not have those in my Wing Chun. However, if you accept Foot Throws and Sweeps then yes I do have those in my Wing Chun.
No certainly the sacrifice throws and turning throws in judo where you expose your back violates WCK principles. But actually, they also violate BJJ principles. However, BJJ practitioners train them for competition because they work. In general WCK practitioners would avoid training anything at all that violates principles.

However, it is not enough to simply throw someone with a sweep or trip, one must also have the proper follow up to insure the throw does what is needed. I believe Wing Chun has the answer for that as well, though not a ground fighting art.
Very simply, whatever art it originates in, the answer here is once your opponent is on the ground, pursue them with footwork so they can't gain the distance to stand up. Work on stepping with your lead leg as close to the waist fold or bend of your opponent as you can. Stepping so your toes are touching the waist bend is awesome. From there once the opponent wears down a bit you can just sink your weight from the foot to knee on belly and continue striking. That to me is probably the position of control for WCK practitioners they want with an opponent on the ground.