Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
...others blamed WSL for using a non-Wing Chun movement when he kneed someone in the head? He countered saying he used the principle of nearest weapon to the nearest target. So, not doing foot sweeps because they aren't found in the forms I think is expecting there to be applications in the forms, at least in the sense that they contain all attacks we'd use. I think that's looking at it incorrectly.

But also, there's no need to relate something we did in sparring or fighting back to something in the forms in order to work on it. We can simply incorporate foot sweeps into various partner drills and just train it like that.
LFJ: your story about WSL using a knee to the head when it fit WC principles is a great example of divergent thinking.

Now regarding throws, there are times when the huen bo or circle steps from Biu Tze and the yap ghurk or inserting step from the dummy so displace your opponent's center that he will be literally knocked over as a "by product" of basic stance and steps. In such circumstances a throw is often a natural and efficient follow up. Sort of like that knee to the head. Or, since your opponent's structure and balance is so compromised, you might just prefer to punch the heck out of him. Either way fits my definition of WC.