Thread: Sparring experience with other stylists

Sparring experience with other stylists

What kind of sparring experience do you have with other stylists? Any styles that you find particularly enjoyable/challenging to spar?

Quote Originally Posted by Faux Newbie View Post
    What kind of sparring experience do you have with other stylists? Any styles that you find particularly enjoyable/challenging to spar?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Makes no difference.Should it?

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Makes no difference.Should it?
    I did not make this thread with a goal, merely a question.

For example, as a stylist whose style has common points to wing chun, in my locale, a lot of people from my style play sticky hands and spar with wing chun people from the area (lots of contact between teachers in the two styles). In sparring wing chun people(and especially one good friend who teaches wing chun), it really taught me that I'd better have a trained response to the bridge when it happens.

Against animal boxers from my area, it taught me that an opponent with a highly varied response can be its own challenge.

No end goal here, just people's experiences.
    Last edited by Faux Newbie; 07-09-2014 at 08:58 AM.

I did not make this thread with a goal, merely a question.

For example, as a stylist whose style has common points to wing chun, in my locale, a lot of people from my style play sticky hands and spar with wing chun people from the area (lots of contact between teachers in the two styles). In sparring wing chun people(and especially one good friend who teaches wing chun), it really taught me that I'd better have a trained response to the bridge when it happens.

Against animal boxers from my area, it taught me that an opponent with a highly varied response can be its own challenge.

No end goal here, just people's experiences.
    ------------------------------------------
    What do you mean bt 1. "common points to wing chun" and 2, your "locale".?

I adjust my wing chun motions to deal with what comes.

I spar at least once a week with a few people who collectively train: Muay Thai, JKD+Silat+kali, Xing Yi+Bagua+Tai Chi. On a side note, I also cross train with these people, so I do have some level of familiarity with their arts and methods.

Muay Thai - The best pressure I feel against my muay thai friend is when we really start exchanging blows. He can eat a lot of hits and just hit back, I'm not as good at that plus I dont have his endurance/stamina. I like sparring with him because it really makes me learn how to deal with consistent aggressive attacks, especially because I feel that my friend purposely will try to flex his aggressiveness to "scare me" into a a submissive mindset

JKD+Silat+Kali: I feel like the JKD has taught this fiend a ton of random fighting "tricks" from various systems in addition to what I'd call "advanced kickboxing." The Silat gives him a good base to come in and take me down (he's also like 30-40lbs heavier and stronger). He used lots of hand and head movement to distract (although at times it's easy to use this to my advantage). Once a takedown is started and in motion, it's hard to get out.

Bagua-Xing Yi: This friend teaches me Bagua and some Xing Yi while I teach him Ving Tsun. We've been doing this for 2 years, so he also has what I consider my Ving Tsun flavor to his sparring. In regards to his Xing Yi/Bagua/Tai Chi...he is a bigger person and really good at hitting with his shoulders and using his body momentum. Sometimes it's surprising to see how he throws an attack with his hands only to make contact to establish a solid body strike. I really like training against that because I learned that these body strikes can be diverted and dealt with, but it requires refined training to be optimal in that short window of opportunity. Also, training body methods against a bigger person makes people my size feel like they're feather. An added bonus is that due to the Ving Tsun training, this guy also throws lots of straight punches that remind me to keep my guard up. Also, it gave me something for comparison when I use my body methods from my Ving Tsun, Tai Chi, etc.

There were also some non cross training scenarios that opened up/changed my way of thinking. I trained BJJ and Muay Thai from Jan-April when I was in Chicago for school. Rolling and Muay Thai sparring also gave me a lot to think about.
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ------------------------------------------
    What do you mean bt 1. "common points to wing chun" and 2, your "locale".?

I adjust my wing chun motions to deal with what comes.
    1) My style is southern internal, and has a lot of similar approaches on bridging. There are differences as well, of course, but it is fairly common for us to play sticky hands with friends who do wing chun, using their rules, and have it be productive for both people.

2) Kansas City.

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSpring View Post
    I spar at least once a week with a few people who collectively train: Muay Thai, JKD+Silat+kali, Xing Yi+Bagua+Tai Chi. On a side note, I also cross train with these people, so I do have some level of familiarity with their arts and methods.

Muay Thai - The best pressure I feel against my muay thai friend is when we really start exchanging blows. He can eat a lot of hits and just hit back, I'm not as good at that plus I dont have his endurance/stamina. I like sparring with him because it really makes me learn how to deal with consistent aggressive attacks, especially because I feel that my friend purposely will try to flex his aggressiveness to "scare me" into a a submissive mindset

JKD+Silat+Kali: I feel like the JKD has taught this fiend a ton of random fighting "tricks" from various systems in addition to what I'd call "advanced kickboxing." The Silat gives him a good base to come in and take me down (he's also like 30-40lbs heavier and stronger). He used lots of hand and head movement to distract (although at times it's easy to use this to my advantage). Once a takedown is started and in motion, it's hard to get out.

Bagua-Xing Yi: This friend teaches me Bagua and some Xing Yi while I teach him Ving Tsun. We've been doing this for 2 years, so he also has what I consider my Ving Tsun flavor to his sparring. In regards to his Xing Yi/Bagua/Tai Chi...he is a bigger person and really good at hitting with his shoulders and using his body momentum. Sometimes it's surprising to see how he throws an attack with his hands only to make contact to establish a solid body strike. I really like training against that because I learned that these body strikes can be diverted and dealt with, but it requires refined training to be optimal in that short window of opportunity. Also, training body methods against a bigger person makes people my size feel like they're feather. An added bonus is that due to the Ving Tsun training, this guy also throws lots of straight punches that remind me to keep my guard up. Also, it gave me something for comparison when I use my body methods from my Ving Tsun, Tai Chi, etc.

There were also some non cross training scenarios that opened up/changed my way of thinking. I trained BJJ and Muay Thai from Jan-April when I was in Chicago for school. Rolling and Muay Thai sparring also gave me a lot to think about.
    The first two remind me of training partners I've had in the past from the same/similar styles.

The first two remind me of training partners I've had in the past from the same/similar styles.
    What would you say was the most impressive system/style you've sparred against (at any intensity)?
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...