Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "The Spirit of Kung Fu" from Si Fu Leo Au Yeung.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    now i'm worried...yes...youngish... your not a priest are you?
    there is something called future shock, when society progress too fast for previous generation to adapt. then people hold on to relics from the past to ground them mentally.

most these people into kung fu are baby boomers. they hold on to their 1970 version of kung fu for nalstalgia, but it is a sickly nalstalgia. 1970s era kung fu is broken and is not sustainable for continuation of the art.

every few months some random guy comes and promotes a video with brazen title like "heroes of kung fu" "legends of shaolin" which consists of noodle arm transsexual form drills and the person looks like they are on disability assistance. videos like this caters to boomers. but in 20 years they will not matter. they will be gone like locusts, swept away by the winds of time. by then the few kung fu people left will have to clean all the sh1t stains that they left behind.

that means you and me. but probably just me. i have seen many come and ultimately go, and i dont blame them.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-22-2014 at 05:40 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    bawang vs mightyb go!
    We've tried it before but it always ends up as a contest to see who can pick up the cutest tranny. In case you're wondering, there are no winners in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    That wouldn't be nearly as fun. I wouldn't take his criticisms too seriously. I'm pretty sure he's never stepped foot in a kwoon but he seems to read a lot - sometimes he's quite racist... although I think he hates the Chinese most of all even though I think he's Chinese. He seems to have an irrational fear of Caucasian weight lifters and judges all TCMA based on what he perceives as that martial art's ability to defend against said Caucasian weight lifters. So far he's judged all TCMA as lacking - especially Wing Chun and anything that comes from Hong Kong.
    Context is everything. When your Sifu is this guy, you can see why he is so jilted.

http://www.chiinnature.com/

****, can't post youtube links from work. Anyway, look him up on youtube.
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    point sparring is a great way to train

Here is the thing about Bawang having a valid point ( to a degree).
    What we have are videos about the "spirit" of Kung fu and what is shown is what?
    Forms in the air and lots of talking.
    So, what is the spirit of Kung fu?
    Well, we know from those videos what it isn't and it isn't fighting.
    See the issue?
    Kung Fu is and always was, foremost, about fighting.
    If one wants to do a video on the Spirit of Kung Fu then perhaps, just perhaps, MAYBE include some actual fighting?

Too much to ask for eh?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

That wouldn't be nearly as fun. I wouldn't take his criticisms too seriously. I'm pretty sure he's never stepped foot in a kwoon but he seems to read a lot - sometimes he's quite racist... although I think he hates the Chinese most of all even though I think he's Chinese. He seems to have an irrational fear of Caucasian weight lifters and judges all TCMA based on what he perceives as that martial art's ability to defend against said Caucasian weight lifters. So far he's judged all TCMA as lacking - especially Wing Chun and anything that comes from Hong Kong.
    If you are referring to Bawang, you are quite incorrect.
    He has a very good knowledge, both practical and theoretical of REAL TCMA.
    Probably knows more about the history of TCMA than most here, I mean REAL history based on military and historical writings, not made up anecdotes.
    If you look deeply into his posts, you will see the hidden truth in his critique of TCMA and why, as a Chinese, he has the right to be so upset about what people have turned it into.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Kung Fu is and always was, foremost, about fighting.
    Says you, and You know nothing Jon Snow, I mean Sanjuro. (depending on your perspective), Kung Fu is so much more than fighting. What we think it is or should be doesn't matter because it is what it is.

Needle through a Brick. http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title..._through_brick

If you are referring to Bawang, you are quite incorrect.
    He has a very good knowledge, both practical and theoretical of REAL TCMA.
    Probably knows more about the history of TCMA than most here, I mean REAL history based on military and historical writings, not made up anecdotes.
    If you look deeply into his posts, you will see the hidden truth in his critique of TCMA and why, as a Chinese, he has the right to be so upset about what people have turned it into.
    A man can read all about fishing, but knows nothing about fishing until he's set his bait and casts a hook into the water. See, I can talk in riddles and parables too.

Translation -

How can a person criticize real TCMA if they've never touched hands with a practitioner of real TCMA?

I would say that he has no practical knowledge in this context, only theoretical, and he's basing it on a notion of what he feels TCMA should be. It's not bad to have an opinion on this, but he does a major disservice to TCMA at the same time because he gives no credit, nor is he qualified, to all the good practical stuff that can still be found in TCMA.
    Last edited by MightyB; 07-22-2014 at 06:18 AM.

Says you, and You know nothing Jon Snow, I mean Sanjuro. (depending on your perspective), Kung Fu is so much more than fighting. What we think it is or should be doesn't matter because it is what it is.

Needle through a Brick. http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title..._through_brick
    Kung Fu is FOREMOST about fighting, that is what I said.
    I didn't say it was JUST or ALL or even MOSTLY, but foremost.
    Get the difference.

A man can read all about fishing, but knows nothing about fishing until he's set his bait and casts a hook into the water. See, I can talk in riddles and parables too.

Translation -

How can a person criticize real TCMA if they've never touched hands with a practitioner of real TCMA?

I would say that he has no practical knowledge in this context, only theoretical, and he's basing it on a notion of what he feels TCMA should be. It's not bad to have an opinion on this, but he does a major disservice to TCMA at the same time because he gives no credit, nor is he qualified, to all the good practical stuff that can still be found in TCMA.
    What makes you think he hasn't?

Translation -

last year i rehab from herniated disc 3 muscle tears. earlier this year i was recovering from concussion which is why i didnt post here. 3 years ago i was 120 pounds now i am 196 i aim for 200. i put in work. i transform myself according to my visions and dreams of kung fu and make them reality. what the fuk have you done?
    Last edited by bawang; 07-22-2014 at 06:25 AM.

even wing chun (I'm saying this tongue and cheek, I actually like wc and can't understand all the hate on this forum, ok, I understand because that world is sooooo political) even wing chun which he seems to hate the most... he's an hour away from a wing chun / jow ga school in grand rapids that has a great reputation, and is taught... OMG, by a Hong Kongese man. If Bawang is so sure of his knowledge, I'd suggest going and playing at this place in Grand Rapids. It'd be a great humbling experience for him.

even wing chun (I'm saying this tongue and cheek, I actually like wc and can't understand all the hate on this forum, ok, I understand because that world is sooooo political) even wing chun which he seems to hate the most... he's an hour away from a wing chun / jow ga school in grand rapids that has a great reputation, and is taught... OMG, by a Hong Kongese man. If Bawang is so sure of his knowledge, I'd suggest going and playing at this place in Grand Rapids. It'd be a great humbling experience for him.
    i am at the point at my life where i can actually say with confidence i prolly whip they ass simeply by the statistical fact that i train with mma people and they are a kung fu school. at 17 you might have made me think twice, but these days i scare children.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-22-2014 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    lwhat the fuk have you done?
    Trained, competed, listened, learned (learning), cross trained, cross competed (still learning). In short, I'm trying to open my mind to more than one possibility. Even though I'm just a hobbyist, and will never be all that great, I've still done a lot.

Kung Fu is FOREMOST about fighting, that is what I said.
    I didn't say it was JUST or ALL or even MOSTLY, but foremost.
    Get the difference.
    are you still teaching sanjuro, how is training man.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i train with mma people and they are a kung fu school.
    Good to hear. Most TCMA schools seem to be getting more MMA inclined these days.