Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Into The Badlands

Mobile Game

Fight As Your Favorite Characters From Into the Badlands in New Mobile Game
    Posted by Ashleen Wicklow
    3 days ago

Fight As Your Favorite Characters From Into the Badlands in New Mobile Game

Be among the first to take a new journey into the Badlands with the mobile game from AMC and Reliance Games, Into the Badlands Blade Battle. Now available in beta on Android (coming soon to iOS), the game features a series of epic quests in an unforgiving world where you can fight as your favorite heroes and villains from the series, including Sunny, the Widow, M.K., Waldo, Quinn and more. Featuring the first of its kind, one-vs.-many combat experience, Into the Badlands Blade Battle is easy to play and hard to put down.

Watch a new teaser for the game here.

Become a Beta Tester on Android
    , where you can…

JOURNEY INTO THE BADLANDS
    Experience the life of an Into the Badlands warrior as depicted in the TV series. Defy the odds and defeat mighty bosses with special abilities. Dominate in events to win top rank and milestone rewards.

BUILD THE ULTIMATE WARRIOR ROSTER
    Customize your Badlands Team from a roster of 19 heroes with unique weapons and combat styles. Unlock special abilities and powers with Rare, Epic and Legendary heroes.

FORGE POWERFUL ALLIANCES
    Form a clan to share hero cards, build your own warrior community and battle enemies in Alliance Rivals. Rise up the leaderboards to become the world’s best Badlands Baron.

BATTLE IN ICONIC LOCATIONS
    Play and slay in the Cogs’ Pit, Quinn’s Fort, the Widow’s Lodge, Wall Street, the Dollhouse and other key locations from the show. Search the lands for chests and unlock new characters via scouting.

Play Into the Badlands Blade Battle now.

Into the Badlands returns this Spring. For all of the latest updates on Season 2, sign up for the Insiders Club.
    Looks amusing. I'm just not into mobile games personally. I'm hoping for merch soon.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Iron Fist vs. Into the Badlands (aka Netflix vs. AMC)

Looks like Iron Fist is poaching from Into The Badlands.

Iron Fist Episode Titles Inspired By Shaolin Kung Fu Moves
    January 23, 2017 Dave Golder

Bleeding Cool has spotted on the BBFC website that the British Board Of Film Censors is currently rating the episodes of Netflix’s Marvel’s Iron Fist and revealing most of the series’ episode titles and directors in the process.
    A lot of the episode titles themselves appear to be based in moves used in Shaolin Kung Fu, though on a more metaphorical level they could also possibly be spoilery as well.
    1: Snow Gives Way (dir. John Dahl)
    2: Shadow Hawk Takes Flight (dir. John Dahl)
    3: Rolling Thunder Cannon Punch (dir. Tom Shankland)
    4: Eight Diagram Dragon Palm
    5: Under Leaf Pluck Lotus (dir. Uta Briesewitz)
    6: Immortal Emerges From Cave
    7: Felling With Tree Routes (dir. Farren Blackburn)
    8: The Blessing Of Many Fractures (dir. Kevin Tancharoen)
    9: The Mistress Of All Agonies (dir. Jet Wilkinson)
    10: Unlisted
    11: Lead Horse Back To Stable (dir. Deborah Chow)
    12: Unlisted
    13: Dragon Plays With Fire (dir. Stephen Surjik)
    Iron Fist debuts on Netflix on 17 March.
    Into The Badlands Season 2 premieres March 19.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Into the Badlands Season 2: 'Sunny is Ready for a Fight' Official Teaser

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Into the Badlands Season 2: 'The Widow's Vengeance' Official Teaser

Okay, I gotta confess. What I luv about Into the Badlands, aside from the fact that it has introduced me to Daniel Wu and then took me to Ireland, is that it has the hottest sword hottie I've seen in years.

And I've seen her up close.

Sure, sure, I'm gloating. But here's tonight's bum out. I got sent the screener for Season Two - Eps 1 & 2 this morning. I've looking forward to watching them tonight all day long because it's been a really rough work week already and it's only Wednesday. I got home, poured myself a nice shot of Irish Whiskey and then realized my password needs to be approved. And that won't happen until the next working day.

At least I have the whiskey.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

DC Comics To Get A Free Into The Badlands Comic

In March, five DC Comics titles will be polybagged with a free comic advertising the AMC TV show Into The Badlands, the second series of which premieres in the US on Sunday, March 19 at 10pm ET.

Into The Badlands Special #1, written by series co-producer Matt Okumura, with art by Steve Ellis and cover by Leinil Yu, focuses on Quinn, the preeminent Baron, who rules with an iron fist. This is the story of his first kill. Follow young Quinn’s journey in Issue 1: Pole of a Falling Star to discover Quinn’s humble beginnings as a lowly cog and the violence that inspired his meteoric rise.

This 32-page custom comic features a 24-page story plus a four-page section that introduces the series’ characters. Which, ironically, is more story content than you usually get in a DC comic.

It will be distributed inside bagged copies of Green Arrow #18, Harley Quinn #15, Deathstroke #14, Red Hood & The Outlaws #8 and Suicide Squad #13.

Name:  unnamed-7-2.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  99.5 KB

The VICE interview

The Martial Arts Show That Is Destroying Asian Stereotypes on Screen
    SAMANTHA LUI
    Feb 27 2017, 5:18am

Actor Daniel Wu discusses his new show, 'Into the Badlands' and how Asian actors have to keep fighting for more diversity.

Daniel Wu did not expect to be the star of AMC's Into the Badlands. Starring in the show would require him to take on complex fighting scenes. And in his 40s, he wasn't sure if his body would be up for it.

"I was like, I'm 40 now, and I've already done my martial arts thing. I'm not sure if I want to get back into it again," Wu told me over the phone from South Africa, where he's filming the upcoming Tomb Raider film.

At the time, Wu was set to serve as an executive producer for the show because of his martial arts experience. After all, he had already appeared in Hong Kong action films such as Tai Chi Hero and Naked Weapon while in the US, and he also had roles in The Man with the Iron Fists and Warcraft. But when actor after actor auditioned for the lead role of the mighty warrior Sunny, no one except him seemed right for the part. "[The producers] were like, 'We looked far and wide, and we're either finding great actors who don't know any martial arts, or martial artists who don't know acting. You're one of the few people who can do both. Can you consider doing this?'"

Despite his initial reservations about taking the role, Wu gave the part a second chance. He worked out and trained every day until his body got back into shape. When he saw the results, he decided to commit.

Into the Badlands, which begins its second season on March 19, is loosely based on the Chinese tale Journey to the West. The show takes place in a post-apocalyptic world controlled by feudal barons. Wu plays the skilled lethal fighter—a "clipper"—Sunny, who also has a mysterious past. During the series, he yearns for a future free from his unpredictable and dangerous boss. Along for the ride is an orphan with special powers, M.K. (Aramis Knight), who repeatedly crosses Sunny's path. Together, the two develop a teacher-student relationship and embark on a journey in search of enlightenment.

When the show first premiered in 2015, it received generally positive reviews, with praise especially directed at its fighting scenes. Tim Goodman of the Hollywood Reporter called the show "a bloody, fun and entertaining non-zombie counterpart to The Walking Dead." Maureen Ryan of Variety compared the series to "classic Samurai films and kinetic action fare churned out by Hong Kong maestros of furious fists."

The show's success has given Wu, now 42, recognition among American audiences. But for those who are fans of Asian cinema, he's already a familiar face.

Born and raised in California, Wu traveled to Asia in 1997 to witness the Handover of Hong Kong. At the time, he had just finished university with hopes of coming back to the US to become an architect. But one day, while at a bar, Wu was asked to star in a television commercial. That opportunity led to Wu's first role in a film called Bishonen, where he played a gay police officer. "Once I was on set, I fell in love with the whole process. I was like, 'I gotta keep doing this.'" It was then that he realized that he needed to stay in Hong Kong longer. So, after starring in films like City of Glass and Young and Dangerous: The Prequel, Wu was soon signed on to Jackie Chan's production company, JC Group.

As a Chinese kid in America, Wu would often watch Kung Fu movies starring Chan, Bruce Lee, and Jet Li. In fact, it was those three actors who inspired him to take up martial arts. "I started learning Kung Fu because of the movies. When I was seven years old, I saw Jet Li's first movie Shaolin Temple, and I was like, 'I gotta learn that stuff,'" Wu said. "Being Chinese American in California, I also felt a connection to my culture doing that stuff. That's what made me want to learn it."

Poster for New Police Story (2004). Courtesy of Emperor Motion Pictures

Wu's ability to do martial arts has served him well on the screen in Asia. He went on to star in action-packed films like New Police Story, House of Fury, and Gen-X Cops. With his success overseas, it wasn't long until people started to encourage him to try and make his way back into the US.

However, getting roles back home was harder than he thought.

"I went to the States, and I went for meetings, but nothing really came of it. Obviously ten to 15 years ago, I don't think America was diverse as it is now in terms of what you're seeing on television," Wu said.

"I thought, OK, forget it. I got a career going on in Asia. I'm not going to worry about the States. The United States is my home, but if they're not offering me a career there because of my race, then what am I going to do about it?"

Wu continued to act mostly in Asia, taking on a number of different roles to avoid being stereotyped as a martial artist. He played romantic leads, cops, and violent criminals. But in the end, it was his martial arts experience that helped him get back to the US with Into the Badlands.

As an executive producer, Wu played a vital part in making sure the fight scenes in Into the Badlands looked authentic. To ensure this, Wu brought in Hong Kong stunt choreographer Huan-Chiu Ku (a.k.a. Master Dee Dee) and director Stephen Fung to help with the fight scenes.

"The only way you can get this done is with a Hong Kong team because you got to work fast. We have eight days per episode, and there are two fights per episode," Wu said. "I don't think a lot of Western teams could pull it off. Hong Kong teams are used to that."

The authenticity of the show's fight scenes could also be attributed to the cast's grueling workout schedule. Before shooting, Wu trained every day for four to five months. After that, the cast took part in "Fight Camp," which includes eight to nine hours of intensive training every day for five weeks. There, they covered everything from sword fighting, acrobatics, and martial arts such as taekwondo and wushu.

But training for the show is only part of what makes the action on the show so convincing. For Wu, who grew up practicing wushu, there's also an art to making the fights look good on the screen.

"To be a screen martial artist, you need to know all the aspects of martial arts, plus weapons, plus tumbling and gymnastics to be a really good mover," he said. "I've seen really good on-screen martial artists who have never learned martial arts. They just happen to be really good, athletic people, and they understand how it needs to look on screen and are amazing at it."

But while many watch Into the Badlands for the action, the show also breaks new ground with an Asian American male lead. On the show, Wu's character is complicated; he has a good heart but is one of the most brutal killers alive. A former assassin, his character struggles to break away from his dark past.

Wu says the role allows him to play someone he's never been before: the antihero. "Most of the characters I've played are more straight, clear-cut, good guys or bad guys. This character, he's got a really dirty bad past, but he's trying to become good," he explained.

The complexity of Wu's character is groundbreaking, according to Keith Chow, the founder of pop culture website the Nerds of Color. He says Asian actors are often stereotyped into martial arts roles with little depth to their characters. "Ultimately, they're there to be the mentor to teach the white guy, like Mr. Miyagi in The Karate Kid. Mr. Miyagi is kind of a trope, the wise old Asian man who teaches the white hero to be heroic," he said.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

While Wu does indeed play a martial artist on Into the Badlands, Chow says the role of Sunny has many layers. In the past, he adds, Asian actors have mostly been depicted as one-dimensional. Moreover, they're often portrayed in a non-romantic way.

"There was a point in the 90s where you had a bunch of Hong Kong movie stars come [to America]. Chow Yun Fat had a couple of movies, Jet Li did a couple of movies," Chow said, adding that this took place after the success of Rush Hour, which starred Jackie Chan. "They would definitely desexualize the male action star. Usually in Western action movies, the hero kisses the girl at the end, but Jet Li gets a chaste hug. There was a barrier to how you could depict an Asian action star."

Madeleine Mantock and Daniel Wu in Into the Badlands. Courtesy of Patti Perret/AMC

In Into the Badlands, Wu gets to play the romantic lead. His character Sunny gets involved in an interracial relationship with Veil (played by Madeleine Mantock), which fans of the show praised online with the Twitter hashtag #ColorMeBadlands. "I think it's amazing that it just so happens to be an Asian male with a black girl on the show," said Wu. "I don't think that's ever happened on television before."

Chow says the role of Sunny is a rarity in Hollywood. Oftentimes, Asian American actors are asked to play "the nerd, the Fu Manchu, the dragon lady, the perpetual foreigner, and the martial artist." In Into the Badlands, however, "Daniel Wu['s character] has a love life, and he has complicated feelings. He's the deadliest assassin, but he's also kind-hearted," Chow said. "Usually, Asian characters have been defined solely by their ability to do martial arts. They've never been able to be beyond that."

The role of Sunny is one of a handful of action roles given to Asian American actors in recent years. Right now, a live-action Mulan film is in the works with plans to feature an all-Asian cast. Another show, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, also features Asian American talent like Ming-Na Wen and Chloe Bennett.

This is certainly a shift from stereotypical and whitewashed portrayals of Asian characters in the past. In Breakfast at Tiffany's, Mr. Yunioshi (portrayed by Mickey Rooney) was accused of yellowface for wearing makeup and a prosthetic mouthpiece to look like a caricatured version of a Japanese person. In Sixteen Candles, the character Long Duk Dong (played by Gedde Watanabe) was also criticized for being racially insensitive to Asians when his stilted English was used for comedic effect. And more recently in the film Cloud Atlas, Jim Sturgess's character takes the form of an Asian man—to which Media Action Network for Asian Americans president Guy Aoki responded to by saying, "It's a double standard: White actors are allowed to play anything—except black characters—and have the dominant roles; Asian male actors are nonexistent. And Pacific Islanders are played by blacks."

And the fight for more diversity still persists today. In a recent episode of comedian Bobby Lee's podcast TigerBelly, he talks about his experience running into The Walking Dead star Steven Yeun at an audition for a role that only had five lines because of the few opportunities offered to Asian actors in the business. In another opinion piece, actor Justin Chon recounts his experience at an audition where he was asked to perform with "an Asian accent." And, of course, there's the new film The Great Wall, which has been accused of casting Matt Damon in a "white savior" role.

Wu acknowledges, however, that there has been a lot of progress in television and film when it comes to including more diverse actors. With Into the Badlands as an example, Wu says producers consciously made the roles open to people of all races: "Producers just have to cast more diverse," he said. "When you become race-specific, you almost can't avoid stereotypes in some ways. So, you have to fight against that."

Wu says he also didn't realize how progressive his character was until the show came out. "I didn't really think about it because I've been in Hong Kong for 20 years for my career where I didn't think about race at all because everybody was Chinese in movies," he explained. "Being one of the few Asian American leads on a show on television, there's only a handful. When I looked at it from that perspective, I go, 'Wow. That is quite progressive.'"

But even though Wu is proud of his involvement with Into the Badlands, he says he's being careful not to be stereotyped into martial arts roles. "America may know me as Sunny, the martial arts actor… but I've done more than 70 films in Asia that range from being a nerd to being a company boss to being a gangster," he said, before adding that he'd like to film a comedy next.

As for his advice for other actors? Wu says they should keep fighting for more diversity. "As an actor, you're much more passive about the whole selection process. So all you have to do is be strong and turn down the roles that you think are not right for you and go for the roles that you think are really great," he said.

"It's a sacrifice, and it's really hard to do when you're trying to make a living off of it. But you also have to stand your ground as well."

Follow Samantha Lui on Twitter.
    My NDA expires tomorrow. Expect my coverage then. I went INTO THE BADLANDS and lived to tell...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

My NDA has expired

Here is the first article of my extensive coverage of AMC's INTO THE BADLANDS.

Read INTO THE BADLANDS: Enter the Pig by Gene Ching.

Season Two of INTO THE BADLANDS premieres on March 19th.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Exclusive INTO THE BADLANDS Season Two Teaser

AMC was so pleased with our coverage that they gave us an exclusive teaser.

Exclusive INTO THE BADLANDS Season Two Teaser

It's only exclusive for a few hours (such is the internet) so please give it a watch to get our view count up. That way, we can bring you more exclusive content like this.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I binged season 1

I bought Season 1 off iTunes when my screener failed and binged it all in one night. It's quite bingeworthy. Now it's free everywhere - Xfinity, Netflix, they even had it free on the AMC site for while.

But here are some Badlands teasers off the AMC site:
    INTO THE BADLANDS: THE COMPLETE SEASON 1 FIGHTS
    Revisit all the action-packed martial arts fights from the first season of the epic drama Into the Badlands.
    INTO THE BADLANDS SEASON 1 IN TWO MINUTES
    Get a quick recap of all the high-flying action in Season 1 before the new season kicks off on Sunday, March 19 at 10/9c.
    INTO THE BADLANDS: A LOOK AT SEASON 2
    The cast and creators discuss Sunny’s new journey and how new characters and new locations expand the world. Don’t miss the Season 2 premiere Sunday, March 19 at 10/9c on AMC.
    I've also seen S2E1-3 now (my screener finally worked). Season 2 definitely raised the bar, and I'm not just saying that because the Widow told me to.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Season 2 Premieres this Sunday

Into the Badlands Q&A — Miles Millar and Alfred Gough (Co-Creators/Executive Producers)
    Posted by Adam Bryant
    17 hours ago

Miles Millar and Alfred Gough, the co-creators and executive producers of Into the Badlands, discuss why Season 2 is more “epic,” what Nick Frost’s new character brings to the show, and whether Sunny can get back to Veil without shedding more blood.

Q: You shot the second season in Ireland. What did the new location offer you in terms of storytelling?

Miles Millar: We loved shooting in New Orleans during the first season. It gave us a very lush look and it was very American, but we did feel it was limited in terms of the landscapes. The opportunity arose to move the show to Ireland and we jumped at the diversity of locations – you have epic mountains, incredible seascapes, cliffs, an amazing variety of forests, lakes and also urban ruins. It allowed us to get more epic, and that’s really the touchstone word for the season: It’s epic, and we wanted to get out and really see the world and show the audience the world of the Badlands. I think the choice to shoot in Ireland really allowed us to do that on a grand scale.

Alfred Gough: I think [in] Season 1 we heard about a lot of the world outside the Fort and the Sanctuary, but we didn’t really see it. This season, we’re really able to do that. We’ll be outside the Badlands; we’ll be in the Badlands and able to see more of it; we’re going to meet more Barons. The whole thing was able to open up. A lot of the things we talked about or you heard about in Season 1, we’re actually able to visualize in Season 2.

Q: Six months have passed in the story since the end of Season 1. How hard has that time been for Sunny and M.K., who were both taken out of the Badlands last season?

AG: I think for Sunny, it’s been particularly hard. When you meet him, he’s in a chain gang being marched into a massive mine somewhere in the outlying territories. He’s essentially been a slave for six months and he’s finally gotten to this destination where he’s now spending the rest of his life doing hard labor. So, he’s in a very bad place. M.K. has been taken to the Abbot Monastery up in the mountains and is being trained to control his gift – the dark power that we saw in Season 1 – and I think his training in some ways has been a gift because he’s been able to start to figure out how to control it, though he still has a lot of questions. He’s still M.K., and he’s in a very rigid environment where he has to follow orders and as we know, that’s something that M.K.’s never done very well. He’s really yearning for answers, and Sunny’s yearning to escape.

Q: What can you say about their respective drives to get back to the Badlands?

AG: Sunny’s very much trying to get out and get back to Veil and his baby. For M.K., as he starts to try to figure out how to control his power, it’s really about unlocking painful memories from his past and what really happened to his mother. He was searching for his mother in Season 1 and wanted to get back to Azra. So as he goes through his training in the Monastery, it also starts to unlock these painful memories which he’ll have to deal with. Sunny’s more on a spiritual quest and trying to not be the killer he’s been trained to be. Not only does he physically need to get back to Veil and the baby, but he also has to be a different man when he does. He doesn’t want to be the cold Clipper we knew in Season 1. For M.K., he’ll find out that unlocking those secrets brings its own pain, and he’s going to be forced to face himself. His is very much [on] an emotional journey, looking inward, to try to figure out how to control the gift he has.

Q: Did you create the character of Bajie with Nick Frost in mind? How did his casting come about?
    MM: We actually wanted some more humor on the show, so we created this character, batted around the idea in the writers’ room and the guy we thought would be amazing would be Nick Frost. We actually wrote the role for Nick Frost and then we sent it to his agent and thought we were never going to get him. Lo and behold, Nick was in London, I was in London and we met for a coffee at a really crappy café in London, and he said he loved the script, loved the idea of the role and wanted to do it! It was unbelievable to write a role for someone, have them say yes and then have it work as well as it did. Nick is a huge element this season, and I think that character adds a whole new dimension to what the series is. The interaction between Bajie and Sunny and Nick and Daniel is great. It’s what you want from a buddy show. We’re really excited about that relationship and the energy, humor and mystery that Bajie brings to the show.

Q: How would you describe Bajie and his relationship with Sunny as the season begins?

AG: When you first meet Bajie in the mines where Sunny is, there’s definitely an element of distrust. Bajie is about Bajie, and he always has an angle. I think what’s interesting about this relationship is it’s going to grow into a friendship, but it starts out as pragmatic. Bajie’s always on Bajie’s side and if that means screwing over Sunny, he’ll do it – certainly initially – and then it grows to a friendship and we realize as we get further into the season that Bajie’s harboring a bigger secret as well. He’s not just there to be the comic relief. He has a bigger part to play in the world and in the series.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

Q: While Sunny and M.K. are struggling, The Widow seems to be thriving. What is her journey like this season?

AG: The Widow’s interesting because she was sort of on the run last season and obviously wounded at the end. Tilda didn’t give her the poison, so she’s alive and they’ve put their relationship back together. Her agenda of wanting her land to be a sanctuary for the Cogs and giving women and the displaced a voice in this world is growing. It’s a growing movement, but what she’s realizing is that she was a fighter and now has become a bigger symbol and political leader, which is not something she wears easily. That part of the job doesn’t come so easily and in the quest for what she sees as the greater good, what is it going to do to her personally? What are the compromises? How is she going to have to corrupt herself to get what she wants? What does it do to her relationship with Tilda? There’s no black and white in this world. Everybody makes choices for their own interests and for what they think the greater good is, and I think the Widow really symbolizes that.

Q: How have the power dynamics shifted among the Barons in the new season?

MM: This season, we see more Barons, we see the politics, we see the interactions between Barons, we see the maneuverings…the political games that happen on a global stage here happen on a microcosm in the Badlands… Quinn has left a power vacuum, but Ryder and Jade have stepped up, and this season, we see them actually being efficient Barons. Unlike Quinn and Lydia’s relationship, we see equality and a partnership between Jade and Ryder. What we like to do on the show is take characters and relationships that the audience thinks they know and expect and really twist that and change allegiances. This show is about the gray. Almost all of the people are killers and there’s moral ambiguity about heroes and villains. Sunny’s killed more than anybody, yet he’s our “hero.” We’re always dealing with this idea of what is morality in this world — who is right and who is wrong; who is good and who is bad. Everyone is in the Venn diagram of both.

Q: The martial arts is obviously a huge piece of the show. How did the fighting evolve this season? Will we see more characters getting in on the action?

AG: There will definitely be more characters getting in on the action. As the world gets bigger and as we meet more characters, you’ll definitely see more characters fighting. We tried to add new twists to the martial arts and add new styles so that you see different types of fighting. With Sunny and Bajie, you have some stuff that’s more comedic and with M.K. at the Monastery, you’re more in the world of Crouching Tiger, but there are all sorts of fighting styles in between. You’ll get to see more characters that you didn’t see fight in Season 1 fighting in Season 2, and those that you saw fighting in Season 1 have stepped up their game even more.

MM: Each episode has a signature fight, but there’s a lot more people fighting. It’s always about trying to expand the world and never settling. We’ve had some amazing sequences last year, but I think we’ve topped ourselves this year. It’s always about how we do better, how we evolve the martial arts, and how we make it distinct and different and something like the audience hasn’t seen before on television.

Q: Season 2 has almost double the amount of episodes of Season 1. How, if at all, did that create challenges or opportunities with the story you wanted to tell this season?

AG: Ten episodes definitely gave us a chance to expand in a good way and spend time exploring the different characters and their journeys and go to different places. With Season 1, six episodes is a tricky number because by the time you get started, it’s like you’ve got to start wrapping it up. It needed to feel like a satisfying journey but also leave a lot of doors open for where the show can go in Season 2 and beyond.

MM: The first season for us was almost like a super-pilot and this is really the first season that we get to see the world and have time to get under the skin of the characters and see a much bigger slice of what the future is.

Q: Who do think you would be in the Badlands? Baron, Clipper, Cog, Nomad, Abbot, or something else entirely?

AG: I think I’d be dead! [Laughs]

MM: I’d probably be a Cog somewhere. I definitely wouldn’t be a Clipper.

Q: What are you most excited for fans to see in Season 2?

MM: For me, I think the world-building and the chance to see more of the world is really exciting. The introduction of Nick Frost really changes a lot in terms of the tone of the show and I think he brings a lot out of Sunny. At the end of the season, I think where we end with our characters is very emotional and very satisfying. I think the show really hits its stride this season. When you create a show, you never know how it’s going to go or if there are enough stories to tell. For us, at the end of the season, we left wanting to go back into the Badlands and see where these characters go. It was really exciting to write it, create it, visualize it, see those fights and see those characters come to life. It is a nonstop roller coaster in every way. It steps up from Season 1 in a big way.

AG: It really delivers on the promise of Season 1, so I think people coming back who were incredibly loyal and vocal fans of the show will not be disappointed.

Into the Badlands premieres Sunday, March 19 at 10/9c on AMC. For the latest information and exclusives from Season 2 of Into the Badlands, sign up for the Insiders Club.
    I've been privy to the first three episodes of Season 2. SPOILER ALERT Sunny can NOT get back to Veil without shedding more blood. END SPOILER
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

CBS interview

S March 16, 2017, 6:00 AM
    Daniel Wu on why he almost didn't star on "Into the Badlands"

Daniel Wu stars on “Into the Badlands,” an AMC martial arts drama about Sunny, a talented warrior who is trying to reunite with his family. Wu talked to CBS News about what fans can expect in Season 2, what it’s like to train for a martial arts show and how his transition from Hong Kong to Hollywood has been going.

You play Sunny on “Into the Badlands,” a warrior who is trying to reunite with his family. It’s returning for its second season, when Sunny meets a new foe and a new friend. Can you tell me more?

In Season 1, you meet Sunny where he starts -- a feared assassin killer. He’s high up in the ranks. The beginning of Season 2, you see where he ended up -- rock bottom. He’s a slave and his nobleness is gone and he has one thing on his mind -- to get back with his family. Unfortunately, he’s chained to Bajie, a character played by Nick Frost, so for better or for worse, he’s stuck to him. But he seems to know the world outside the Badlands, and Sunny kind of needs him to get him to find his family.

You do a lot of sword work on the show. What is the training like for you off-camera?

For the show, we have five weeks of fight camp and we train all the actors that have to fight in the show, and I work on specific things like swordwork and weapons and most of it for me is a rehashing of what I learned in the past and brushing up rusty skills.

It sounds very exhausting.

Yes, very, very. Especially actors who are not used to that -- if you have a basis and discipline, you know work will pay off, but for them, sometimes they’re like, “What are we doing? This is horrible.”

You said you have a background in martial arts?

I started martial arts when I was 11 and I started learning traditional Shaolin Kung Fu because I saw “Shaolin Temple” and I wanted to learn exactly what Jet Li did. Then I switched to competitive Wushu, a form-based martial arts. As a kid, I thought that was cool, so I dabbled in everything.

Do you think you could play this role if you didn’t have previous experience in martial arts?

No. No, no. You really have to have a foundation, I think. When I first started working on the show, I was only an executive producer in charge of martial arts and I had not put myself forward to play Sunny. In my head, I was like, we should find someone late 20s or early 30s because if it goes on for six or seven years, your body has to last that long and I was 40. Can I still be doing that at 48? Even now, I’m not sure.

So we went and auditioned hundreds of people and got really great martial artists who were not great actors or vice versa, and you need a balance. We met four or five guys who were both, and the producers turned to me and said, “You know, you can do this. You know you can do both.”

What do you think about the “Great Wall” controversy over Matt Damon’s casting in the film?

I haven’t seen the movie so it’s hard for me to say but I think they were trying to get Chinese stars and American stars together. Everyone I know is trying to figure out that formula where they can integrate Chinese and American stars, and it’s really hard to do. I don’t think anyone has done it successfully yet. I don’t think it was whitewashing; it was just trying to integrate two cultures in one thing for box office results and maybe they were too greedy, but I don’t think it was made that way.

Are you trying to get in on the Hollywood and China crossover as well?

I’ve already been involved with that. “Warcraft” was a situation like that. It opened opportunities for them in China and “Tomb Raider” -- why they cast me in “Tomb Raider” was also for the same reasons.

How is working with Alicia Vikander in the upcoming “Tomb Raider” movie?

It’s been an interesting project. It’s cool to see Alicia in it and it’s ironic and interesting: If you remember Angelina Jolie in “Tomb Raider,” she won the Oscar for “Girl, Interrupted” and became an action star.

Alicia is very similar in that she was doing other indie movies and won an Oscar for “The Danish Girl,” which has the same word in there, and jumped into being an action star and she’s a powerhouse. I’m so impressed with her. She’s a great actress but she’s taking the action on with gusto. I’ve never seen someone do it before and be so fearless, so it’s fun to see that and see this side of her emerge and be able to support that as well. My character is a guy -- she comes to his crappy, s***ty junk boat in Hong Kong and she tries to enlist me to go find her father, so I help her on this journey.

“Into the Badlands” returns on March 19 at 10 p.m. on AMC.
    I'll have something exclusive tomorrow for KungFuMagazine.com.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

AMC has released the Map of the Badlands

THE WORLD OF INTO THE BADLANDS

Alfred Gough, one of the show's creators, told me they were going to show this. More to come from him on this tomorrow, in more of my exclusive coverage.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

As promised, here's more today.

What's the connection between Badlands and St. Patrick's Day? Read INTO THE BADLANDS: Where in the World are the Badlands? by Gene Ching. Season Two of INTO THE BADLANDS premieres on March 19th.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips