Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Into The Badlands

Complete Series Marathon

Today is the complete Into the Badlands series marathon on AMC.

Season 3 returns in Spring 2018
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Season 3 debut on Sunday, April 22 at 10 PM ET/PT

AMC Sets ‘McMafia’ Premiere, Season Starts For ‘Fear,’ ‘Badlands,’ and ‘James Cameron’s Sci-Fi Story’ – TCA
    by Bruce Haring
    January 13, 2018 3:31pm

AMC has set premiere dates for McMafia, Fear the Walking Dead season four, Into the Badlands season three, and AMC Visionaries: James Cameron’s Story of Science Fiction. The announcements came from the Television Critics Assn. press tour.

Related'The Terror' Depicts Horror Of 19th Century Search For North Passage -- TCA
    The new international thriller McMafia, an eight-part series created by Hossein Amini and James Watkins, will debut on Monday, Feb. 26 at 10 PM ET/PT. Inspired by Misha Glenny’s best-selling book of the same name, the series charts Alex Godman’s (James Norton) journey as he is drawn deeper and deeper into the world of organized crime.

As the English-raised son of Russian exiles with a mafia history, Alex has spent his life trying to escape the shadow of that criminal past, building his own legitimate business and forging a life with his girlfriend Rebecca (Juliet Rylance). But when his family’s past returns to threaten them, Alex is forced to confront his values to protect those he loves.

In addition to Norton and Rylance, the series stars David Strathairn (The Bourne Ultimatum, Good Night, and Good Luck), Faye Marsay (Love Nina, Game of Thrones),Aleksey Serebryakov (The Method, Leviathan) and Maria Shukshina (Yolki 3, Terrorist Ivanona), McMafia is co-produced by the BBC, AMC and Cuba Pictures, in association with Twickenham Studios, and distributed internationally by BBC Worldwide.

Fear the Walking Dead starts its fourth season on Sunday, April 15 at 10 PM ET/PT. Subsequent episodes will air at 9 PM ET/PT beginning April 22.

In season four, the world of Madison Clark (Kim Dickens) and her family is seen through the eyes of Walking Dead crossover character Morgan Jones (Lennie James). The characters meet new friends, foes and threats, battling against a legion of the dead and, at times, each other.

Produced by AMC Studios, Fear the Walking Dead is executive produced by Scott M. Gimple, showrunners Andrew Chambliss and Ian Goldberg, as well as Robert Kirkman, David Alpert, Gale Anne Hurd and Greg Nicotero.

Into the Badlands makes its season three debut on Sunday, April 22 at 10 PM ET/PT. This season finds Sunny (Daniel Wu of Tomb Raider) living off the grid, doing his best to provide for his infant son, Henry, in the wake of Veil’s death. It is only when Henry contracts a mysterious illness that Sunny must join forces with Bajie (Nick Frost of Shaun of the Dead) and journey back into the Badlands, where The Widow (Emily Beecham of Daphne) and Baron Chau (Eleanor Matsuura of Wonder Woman) are entrenched in a drawn-out war that has destabilized the entire region.

The series also stars Aramis Knight (Enders Game) as M.K., Lorraine Toussaint (Orange is the New Black) as Cressida, Ella-Rae Smith (Clique) as Nix, Lewis Tan (Iron Fist) as Gaius and Dean-Charles Chapman (Game of Thrones) as Castor.

Into the Badlands was created by executive producers, showrunners and writers Alfred Gough and Miles Millar (Smallville) and is executive produced by Oscar®-nominated producers Stacey Sher (Django Unchained) and Michael Shamberg (Contagion), along with David Dobkin (The Judge), Stephen Fung (Tai Chi Zero), Michael Taylor (TURN: Washington’s Spies) and Wu.

Finally, AMC Visionaries: James Cameron’s Story of Science Fiction will start on Monday, April 30 at 10 PM ET/PT. It offers an insiders’ look at the origins of the genre that has become a cornerstone of popular culture. Throughout each episode of the six-part television series, Academy Award-winning writer, director and producer James Cameron explores science fiction’s roots, futuristic vision and our fascination with its ideas through interviews with A-list storytellers, stars and others whose careers have defined the field, including Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Ridley Scott, Christopher Nolan, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Will Smith and Sigourney Weaver, among many others.

The series is executive produced by Cameron, Maria Wilhelm and Ken Druckerman and Banks Tarver of Left/Right TV. The series is co-executive produced by showrunner Jeff Cooperman and Mike Mezaros.
    Once again, I'll have more than complete coverage on this.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

sloppy journalism

This is redundant to the post above but I'm posting it for its two inaccuracies. #1. the I in INTO THE BADLANDS is clipped in their hasty cut&paste #2. Marton? Oliver? Madeleine? Clearly they didn't even watch Season 2.

I don't post this to be overly critical - more so it's some justification when we make similar mistakes.

Into the Badlands: Season Three Premieres on AMC in April
    by Jessica Pena, January 16, 2018

Credit: Aidan Monaghan/AMC

What’s next for Into the Badlands? Recently, AMC announced the TV series’ third season will debut in April.

The action drama is set centuries in the future in a feudal society called the Badlands. The cast includes Daniel Wu, Marton Csokas, Orla Brady, Sarah Bolger, Aramis Knight, Emily Beecham, Oliver Stark, Madeleine Mantock, and Alexia Ioannides.

Season three of Into the Badlands premieres on AMC on April 22nd at 10 p.m. ET/PT.

Read more info below:
    NTO THE BADLANDS” Season Three

Sunday, April 22 at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT

Season three of “Into the Badlands” finds Sunny (Daniel Wu of Tomb Raider) living off the grid, doing his best to provide for his infant son, Henry, in the wake of Veil’s death. It is only when Henry contracts a mysterious illness that Sunny must join forces with Bajie (Nick Frost of Shaun of the Dead) and journey back into the Badlands, where The Widow (Emily Beecham of Daphne) and Baron Chau (Eleanor Matsuura of Wonder Woman) are entrenched in a drawn-out war that has destabilized the entire region. No longer supported by Tilda (Ally Ioannides of Parenthood) or Waldo (Stephen Lang of Avatar), The Widow must find new allies in Lydia (Orla Brady of Fringe) and in Nathaniel Moon (Sherman Augustus of Westworld) – the former regent who lost his hand to Sunny and Bajie in Season two. But when a mysterious nomadic leader called Pilgrim (Babou Ceesay of Guerilla) arrives in the Badlands on a mission to restore Azra and usher in a new era of “peace,” old enemies must band together to defend the Badlands.

The series also stars Aramis Knight (Enders Game) as M.K., Lorraine Toussaint (Orange is the New Black) as Cressida, Ella-Rae Smith (Clique) as Nix, Lewis Tan (Iron Fist) as Gaius and Dean-Charles Chapman (Game of Thrones) as Castor.

From AMC Studios, “Into the Badlands” was created by executive producers, showrunners and writers Alfred Gough and Miles Millar (Smallville) and is executive produced by Oscar(R)-nominated producers Stacey Sher (Django Unchained) and Michael Shamberg (Contagion), along with David Dobkin (The Judge), Stephen Fung (Tai Chi Zero), Michael Taylor (TURN: Washington’s Spies) and Wu.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Countdown

INTO THE BADLANDS
    SEASON 3 PREMIERE DATE
    COUNTDOWN TO 22ND APRIL 2018 AT 10:00PM (US/EASTERN TIME)
    This is only amusing if you follow the link. Too much trouble to embed it here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Female Assassins (Lady Clippers?) wanted

Apply for: Female Assassins Into the Badlands
    Female Assassins
    We are currently casting experienced female Martial Artists as Assassins for some upcoming scenes in Into The Badlands. Dates are still TBC but we will be shooting in March so applicants should have good flexibility throughout the month.

We have a specific look in mind for this role and the costume sizes are quite specific so please see the requirements below.

REQUIREMENTS

Height: 5ft 6 & up
    Dress Size: 8-12
    Experience: 2+ Years Martial Arts Experience

Right to Work:

If you are born outside the EU / EEA states, we require proof of your Right to Work in Ireland.

Without this proof we CANNOT consider you for opportunities on set.

See www.MovieExtras.ie/noneeamembers for details.

Please note that you are ONLY applying for this specific role.

If you are interested in being considered for all of the other productions that we work with, you can join online at www.MovieExtras.ie
    Follow the link for the application form.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Lewis Tan

Deadpool 2 Trailer May Reveal Iron Fist’s Lewis Tan as Shatterstar
    By Cooper Hood 02.07.2018

Iron Fist‘s Lewis Tan may have been revealed to be part of Deadpool 2‘s cast as Shatterstar. The marketing campaign for Fox’s highly anticipated sequel may not have aired a spot during the Super Bowl, but they kicked off this week’s coverage with a live-tweet of the big game. In the following days, a new poster was revealed and a viral site launched. The biggest piece came with the release of Deadpool 2‘s first official trailer, and it did much more than just introduce Josh Brolin as Cable.

One of the moments that stuck out to fans the most was an ensemble shot of Deadpool and other mutants ready to leap out of a plane. Zazie Beetz’s Domino was featured there, but the shot also revealed Terry Crews to be part of the cast – possibly as G.W. Bridge. Two additional team members were featured as well. While one is difficult to identify, the other is widely believed to be Shatterstar – and now we may know who is playing him.

Twitter user HELLB0YS shared a side by side of Shatterstar from the trailer and Iron Fist actor Lewis Tan along with Tan’s Twitter activity that may indicate he’s part of the cast, too. Shatterstar in the trailer does resemble Tan, but it isn’t clear enough to confirm on its own. However, Tan was liking multiple Shatterstar related images earlier today – ones that he appears to have since unliked after the internet sleuthing began.

View image on Twitter

Tom™ // Comissions are Open
    @TH0R0DINS0NS
    Okay so umm.... @THELEWISTAN SEEMS TO BE PLAYING SHATTERSTAR IN DEADPOOL 2 ? THE GUY IN THE TRAILER LOOKS JUST LIKE HIM AND HES BEEN LIKING TWEETS ABOUT THE FILM ALL DAY ?!?

2:03 PM - Feb 7, 2018
    18 people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    Since this isn’t the most concrete evidence, this alone is far from confirmation that Tan is indeed part of Deadpool 2‘s cast. However, in doing further digging, Tan also follows Deadpool himself Ryan Reynolds and the sequel’s director David Leitch on Twitter, and did so one right after the other. He also follows newly revealed cast member Terry Crews. Who follows who on Twitter isn’t the best way to determine if an actor is part of another project, but there’s more. Near the end of November, Tan revealed on Twitter that he recently worked with Lewis on a project. Crews and Tan have never worked on the same project before, and Deadpool 2 wrapped in October.

Lewis Tan

@TheLewisTan
    Replying to @Lexialex @terrycrews
    Just worked with him. Legend and a gentleman @terrycrews

10:52 AM - Nov 21, 2017
    See Lewis Tan's other Tweets
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    When all of this evidence is put together, it appears more likely than not that Tan is indeed part of Deadpool 2‘s ensemble, and likely playing Shatterstar. Early reports on Deadpool 2 claimed Shatterstar would be introduced via a post-credits scene, but that was quickly debunked by screenwriter Rhett Reese. It may not be a post-credits intro, but Tan does appear to have a costume extremely similar to Shatterstar. Regardless of whether or not this is Shatterstar, it could be a big role for Tan moving forward if this team has any ties to X-Force‘s future roster. This has yet to be confirmed, but there’s mounting evidence behind Tan being involved. If this is the case, hopefully it will be confirmed sooner rather than later.
    I met Lewis in Dublin while doing a set visit for Into the Badlands. We had dinner together, along with several other cast members. He hinted that he was about to join the MCU but couldn't disclose too much more because he was under NDA.

Thread: Deadpool 2
    Thread: Iron Fist
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Season 2 Free Access

For the next 3 weeks, AMC is offering ITB 2 for free through their website.

SEASON 2
    Sunny and M.K. separated and scattered to the wind, each imprisoned in unlikely places. While M.K. struggles to control his powers, Sunny is determined to fight his way back into the Badlands to find his family or die trying.

Watch Full Episodes
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

S3 on Amazon Prime

This is a UK news piece so I'm hoping it's valid for the U.S. market too.

Into the Badlands series 3 comes to Amazon Prime Video next month
    FEBRUARY 14, 2018 - STAFF@SEENITUK

Amazon has confirmed it’ll be streaming the third season of Into the Badlands from April 23rd.

The series starts with Sunny (Daniel Wu) living off the grid and doing his best to provide for his infant son, Henry, in the wake of Veil’s death.

It is only when Henry contracts a mysterious illness that Sunny must join forces with Bajie (Nick Frost) and journey back into the Badlands where The Widow (Emily Beecham) and Baron Chau (Eleanor Matsuura) are entrenched in a drawn-out war that has destabilised the entire region.

No longer supported by Tilda (Ally Ioannides) or Waldo (Stephen Lang),

The Widow must find a new ally in Nathaniel Moon (Sherman Augustus; Westworld) — the former regent who lost his hand to Sunny and Bajie in series two.

But when a mysterious nomadic leader called Pilgrim (Babou Ceesay; Guerilla) arrives in the Badlands on a mission to restore Azra and usher in a new era of “peace,” old enemies must band together to defend the Badlands.

Series three also stars Aramis Knight as M.K., Lorraine Toussaint (Orange is the New Black) as Cressida, Ella-Rae Smith (Clique) as Nix, Lewis Tan (Iron Fist) as Gaius and Dean-Charles Chapman (Game of Thrones) as Castor.

Amazon Prime Video can be accessed on selected Smart TVs, via smartphone and tablet apps and via Amazon’s Fire TV stick and Fire TV and is free to Amazon Prime customers.

The service is also available with a stand-alone subscription.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on Lewis Tan

In my JAN+FEB 2016 cover story - Into the Badlands with Daniel Wu - I opened by saying "If you don’t know the name Daniel Wu by now, he’s the martial artist to watch." I reiterate that with Lewis Tan.

Interview: Actor Lewis Tan

LEWIS TAN: A HAPA SUPERHERO ON A MISSION
    By Melissa Slaughter

For too long, we’ve seen Asian men portrayed as meek computer geeks with no sex appeal and no social currency. Sure, we've had martial arts masters like Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, and Jet Li, but very rarely did they get the girl. More likely they got a pat on the back and a "laugh line" in return for their role as the sidekick. Hell, Jet Li didn’t even kiss Aliyah at the end of Romeo Must Die!

Well, no more! Asian dudes with sex appeal, gusto, and smarts to boot are here, and they’re not going away. 2017 might have been a garbage fire for Asian-American representation in film/TV, but out of the flames rose guys like Ludi Lin (Power Rangers), Ki Hong Lee (Kimmy Schmidt/Maze Runner), and Henry Goulding (Crazy Rich Asians). Asian actors are breaking stereotypes left and right, and new positive role models abound! Hapa Mag is very happy to have one of these gentlemen with us in this spring issue!

Type “Guy Who Should Have Been Iron Fist” into your search engine. I dare you. There’s plenty to read about Lewis as the "Almost Iron Fist" here, here and here. However, Tan is much more than a high-flying Marvel drunken monk. He's an accomplished actor, an stuntman, world-traveler, and legacy martial artist.

Lewis Tan: My father was a national champion martial artist who competed in many different styles. He taught me from a young age how to fight; it was our bonding time. We would sit and watch old Bruce Lee films and stretch in the living room. We traveled a lot because my father was doing different films all over the world. Eventually we came to the USA for Batman and we have lived here ever since.

PC: Samantha Rebuyaco

As many a Hapa knows, we’re often told we’re too Asian, not Asian enough, too ethnic, on and on. And often being mixed race isn’t taken into account at all. In casting, this pressure is magnified as one's outside presentation could dictate whether or not you get a job. Our own Sam Tanabe wrote about such inequity in our inaugural issue. So why choose a career path that, more often than not, will throw someone aside for just their looks?

LT: "I got into acting when I was very young because I fell in love with cinema. It was also all I knew and saw as a child. I grew up on sets with some of the most legendary directors and it was a dream to play make believe and get paid for it. Still is.

Being mixed in an industry that has been known for casting [people of color] as stereotypes has been frustrating and tiring, but has also made me a better actor and performer because I have had to convince casting directors and producers I am the ONLY choice for the role. As we go into 2018, I think the industry is starting to see the world in a broader perspective. It's about time and I am very grateful for all the hard times that has built me up."

Born in England to a Chinese father, a British mother, Lewis now calls the USA home. Lewis told us "I love my mixed heritage because it has given me depth and perspective on the world. It has also been challenging in the film industry, but at the same time [it] created a deep discovery of who I am as a man and I am proud of my heritage."

And it's not just his family heritage that gave him the chance to get a broader worldview. "Traveling has introduced me to the craziest mixes I have ever seen, people with accents you would never expect. It has been such a mind-opening experience and the world is a colorful and beautiful place." Mark Twain would agree; the famed humorist wrote in his travel book The Innocents Abroad that "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Lewis expanded upon the idea that travel "makes you judge less...It just shows you that you can not ever put people in a box. There is no box. It's endless, and that is a lovely thought."

Don't think Lewis has been sitting pretty as a stuntman and action actor; he's no one-trick pony. He's a multi-talented actor with plenty to show the world. He wants to do it all and to work with the best. He's certainly been in enough projects in the works to stretch anyone's artistic ability. He can be seen in the new crime thriller Den of Thieves, with Gerard Butler and 50 Cent, and as Gaius Chau, a leading role in Daniel Wu’s Into the Badlands, as well as “a few more that I can’t announce yet but are huge! ” I will be candid when I say I am very excited to see what Lewis has in store for that AMC martial-arts extravaganza. (Shout-out to Keith Chow of the Nerds of Color and Hard NOC Media who introduced me to both the show and to Lewis himself. #ColorMeBadlands) Lewis has pushed Asian-American representation forward by leaps and bounds and takes seriously his responsibility.

LT: “It is bigger than me and other actors. It is about the next generation feeling represented correctly and inspiring them to create and be heroes in their own story. I have season 3 of Into the Badlands coming out, which in my opinion is revolutionary when it comes to diversity and also the best action on TV. I am going to continue to do my best to use my platform and skills to inspire others and rep for my people. Count on that.”

A FEW MORE LEWIS TAN FUN FACTS:
    His favorite martial arts movies: "Enter the Dragon, IP Man, Drunken Master, Kill Bill, Crouching Tiger, The Matrix, Fist of Fury, Ong Bak, Kung Fu Hustle, anything from Jackie Chan, Kurosawa and most recently I saw The Villainess and it blew my mind."

His biggest martial arts inspirations: "My father had a big influence on me. My sensei and teachers I have had, which are many. I am constantly learning and growing, understanding my body and how it moves."

His favorite foods: "I eat everything! But my favorite food is Thai, Japanese, Italian and Indian, but I do not discriminate. I love good food and don't look twice at the price."

Check Lewis out in Iron Fist on Netflix and Season 3 of Into the Badlands airs on April 22nd, 2018. And follow him @lewistanofficial on IG, and @TheLewisTan on Twitter. He's got big things in the works, so stayed tuned!

*ALL PICTURES WERE TAKEN BY SAMANTHA REBUYACO

Melissa Slaughter has lived in all four time zones in the contiguous United States. A former actor in Seattle, WA, Melissa now resides in NYC as a content creator. She is the producer of the We're Not All Ninjas podcast, which she also hosts with fellow Hapa Mag writer, Alex Chester. Melissa also writes for online blogs Nerdophiles and On Stage Blog. Find her @NotAllNinjasPod.

Thread: Iron Fist
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our newest exclusive web article

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Al Gough on S3

There's a dozen pix in the gallery but I'm only posting the lead one.

MARCH 20, 2018 10:00AM PT
    ‘Into the Badlands’ Showrunner Previews Season 3
    By Maureen Ryan @moryan
    Chief TV Critic

The very enjoyable second season of “Into the Badlands” hits Netflix on March 21, where that wonderful concoction joins the show’s frisky six-episode first season.

As I’ve said a few times, you should seek out this post-apocalyptic adventure drama out if you’re a fan of gorgeous visuals, memorable action and ferocious characters engaged in a hard-fought battle to survive in a semi-feudal society where resources are scarce, but friendship, hope and love are always possible. (If you’re intrigued, check out this primer on the show.)

Newcomers to the series have a month, then, to get caught up before Season Three of “Into the Badlands” arrives on AMC April 22. To whet the appetites of fans who’ve already been won over, Variety has a preview of the new season from executive producer/co-showrunner Alfred Gough, as well as a number of exclusive pictures of key returning and new characters (see slide show).

This season, Lorraine Toussaint (“Orange Is the New Black”) plays Cressida, a canny prophet who is a skilled player in both spiritual and political realms. Cressida is a key adviser to Pilgrim, a religious zealot who is on a quest to find an artifact from Azra, a legendary place in the show’s mythology.

Ella-Rae Smith is Nix, a teenager who possesses special powers that Pilgrim uses to his advantage, and Sherman Augustus returns as Nathaniel Moon, a former regent who lost his hand to Sunny in the second season. Moon ends up taking sides in the war between the Widow and Baron Chau, which is one of the core conflicts in the new season.

“The most exciting thing about this season is that everything in the Badlands is bigger,” Gough tells Variety. “The world gets more expansive, the stakes for all of our characters are higher and the martial arts fights are bloodier and more bat**** crazy than ever. We also introduce some amazing new characters, most notably Pilgrim, a cult-like religious leader, and his priestess, Cressida. They are the wild cards who come into the war-torn badlands and cross paths and swords with both the Widow and Baron Chau.”

As fans of the show recall, at the end of the second season, Sunny (Daniel Wu) is off the grid, protecting his baby son, Henry. But soon enough he needs to reunite with Bajie (Nick Frost), where the Widow (Emily Beecham) and Baron Chau (Eleanor Matsuura) are locked in a battle for control of the Badlands.

The the fact that the Widow and Baron Chau at still at loggerheads is great news, given that their physical conflicts in Season Two — expertly attempting to kill one another while clad in to-die-for clothes — were incredibly fun to watch.

Emily Beecham as The Widow - Into the Badlands _ Season 3, Episode 4 - Photo Credit: Aidan Monaghan/AMC

“Have you ever seen a badass redhead have a martial arts sword fight with a one handed former regent on the top of a stone tower overlooking the ocean? And that’s only the first fight of the season,” Gough says. “You’re welcome, America!”

“Into the Badlands” returns April 22 on AMC.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

WOW ! I was only able to see the first season one of the series a month ago on Netflix, I wasn't aware that season two is now just released on Netflix. BINGE !

More on Daniel Wu

Asia megastar Daniel Wu on his supporting turn in 'Tomb Raider' and his journey back home — to Hollywood
    By JEN YAMATO
    MAR 17, 2018 | 3:00 AM

California-born Daniel Wu became a megastar in Asia and only now is getting traction in Hollywood, appearing in the "Tomb Raider" reboot and starring on AMC's "Into the Badlands." (Genaro Molina / Los Angeles Times)

Twenty years ago, with a University of Oregon architecture degree under his belt, Bay Area kid Daniel Wu took a serendipitous trip to Hong Kong as his graduation present. He wanted to witness the handover, stay a few months, then go home and figure out what to do with his life.

But a chance scouting in a bar led to a commercial gig, then some modeling. Chinese director Yonfan saw the commercial and approached Wu with an offer he couldn't refuse — although he tried.

"He asked me to play the lead in his movie," said Wu, revisiting the moment his accidental career as one of China's biggest movie stars began. "I was like, 'What are you talking about? I've never acted before and you want me to be the lead in your movie? That's crazy!'"

Born and raised in Northern California to Shanghainese parents, and discovered in Asia, the details of Wu's unlikely origin story are well known to his massive Chinese fan base overseas, where the 43-year-old actor and producer is now a superfamous A-lister who gets swarmed by paparazzi whenever he leaves the house.

The all-new Yamaha Wolverine X4 offers four times the proven off-road capability, comfort & confidence… to deliver four times the fun & excitement on your next...

Despite having never acted before, not to mention the fact that his Cantonese wasn't great, Wu took the role in that first film, "Bishonen," playing a closeted gay cop opposite fellow future star Stephen Fung. A few weeks after finishing that film, he landed his second role. By his first year in Hong Kong, he'd made three films. In his second year, he made six.

He's now acted in 60 feature films in Hong Kong and China — including crime thrillers, action comedies and historical epics, movies like "New Police Story," "The Banquet," and "Shinjuku Incident," and roles opposite Chinese superstars Jackie Chan, Donnie Yen, and Zhang Ziyi.

Yet in his native America, where Wu appears this weekend opposite Alicia Vikander in video game adaptation "Tomb Raider," audiences are still learning his name, in spite of the fact that he's four times as Google-searched as his Swedish Oscar-winning costar.

"Not a lot of people know about the 20 years I spent in Hong Kong. To a lot of people I'm just this new actor, but I've been around for a long time," he said with a chuckle on a brief press stop in Los Angeles.

Daniel Wu as Lu Ren, a newly created character for the "Tomb Raider" reboot. (Warner Bros.)

He'd had roles in the recent disaster pic "Geostorm," "Warcraft" (a motion-capture turn as a CG orc), and the little-seen sci-fi "Europa Report." But here, Wu is still best known for starring as the fierce warrior Sunny on the popular AMC series "Into the Badlands," the martial arts-steampunk hybrid now entering its third season, which he also produces.

Wu was already a huge star overseas when he and Fung linked up with show runners Alfred Gough and Miles Millar and fellow executive producers Stacey Sher and Michael Shamberg on "Badlands," which he was initially only going to produce. Well into their search for an Asian lead who could speak fluent English and perform martial arts action, producers turned to the perfect candidate already in their ranks: Wu.

"He took some convincing!" said Gough. "What I love about the show is people watch it, even executives watching dailies, and they're like, 'He's amazing!' And I say, 'Guys — he's the Brad Pitt of China.' He's a movie star. He's been doing this for years. Of course he's amazing!"

The movie star charisma honed over two decades as a leading man can't help but seep out in "Tomb Raider," in which he plays Lu Ren, a Hong Kong boat captain whose habit of drinking away his sorrows is interrupted when Vikander's scrappy Lara Croft arrives on his ship in search of her missing father.

"Lu Ren is a character that we created for this film — he is someone who has gone through similar experiences to Lara and goes on the journey with her because he too has questions that need to be answered," said director Roar Uthaug via email. "I wanted to find an actor who could stand up to the punishing physical stuff but also could warm audiences. Daniel is just so **** charismatic.

"Directors want to find actors that audiences can connect with and I believe this is just as important in an action movie," added Uthaug, whose previous film "The Wave" combined large scale action with human stakes. "I put the characters through all this stuff, and none of it really matters unless we care about them. And I think the audience will really care about Daniel."

"It was this very intimate story packaged as a big action movie," said Wu of the "Tomb Raider" script by Geneva Robertson-Dworet and Alastair Siddons. "Honestly speaking, I was thinking [my character] was going to be a flat, stereotypical, 2D character who just kind of helps [Croft] along the way, but he ended up being a really three-dimensional character."

Embarking on a dangerous mission together in search of their missing fathers, Lara and Lu Ren forge a bond while surviving treacherous seas and sinister villains. "I think his father was always in and out of his life, so when he walked out he just thought he disappeared, had finally walked out… and good riddance. But people in denial really want to know the truth, and eventually that's what motivates him to go on this dangerous journey with Lara."

As a bonus "Tomb Raider" was partly shot in South Africa, where Wu and his wife, actress and model Lisa S., own a home. Stepping onto a realistic boating village set recreating the Hong Kong he knew with startling accuracy added something unexpectedly personal to the experience.

"It made me miss Hong Kong," he smiled. "It made me want to go back and get something to eat!"
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

I didn’t see people like me on American screens, or if I did they were bad representations ...

DANIEL WU

Daniel Wu grew up in California before becoming a major movie star in Hong Kong and China. (Genaro Molina / Los Angeles Times)

It was devouring the films of Bruce Lee, Jet Li and Jackie Chan as a child in the San Francisco East Bay, where he watched Grandmaster Tat Mau Wong host "Kung Fu Theater" on local TV every weekend, that first sparked his lifelong interest in martial arts.

"I distinctly remember when I was 7, my grandfather took me to the Great Star Theater in Chinatown. He said, 'You want to see real wushu, real kung fu?' We went to see 'Shaolin Temple' together, which was Jet Li's first movie."

Wu, like many Asian Americans and youth from communities underrepresented in Hollywood, found inspiration and cultural connection in the movies. A few years later, he began training in earnest, developing the skills and adopting the discipline that would later come to be valuable assets in his own career.

"I didn't see people like me on American screens, or if I did they were bad representations of Asians like Long Duk Dong in 'Sixteen Candles' or David Carradine in yellowface on 'Kung Fu.' When I saw Jet Li and Jackie and all these cool guys doing cool stuff onscreen, I actively searched it out."

Wu first arrived in Hong Kong an outsider who spoke Shanghai dialect Chinese at home but only rusty American-accented Cantonese. But he knew the city from the movies. He describes his first "Wong Kar-Wai moment" when, late one night, he found himself caught in a rainstorm eating dumplings inside a 7-11.

"I was eating microwaved xiaolongbao waiting for the rain to stop, and I thought, 'This is a real Hong Kong experience.' It reminded me of 'Chungking Express,' and I was like, 'I'm here now, in Hong Kong,'" he said.

Wu, who now splits his time living in Oakland with his family, expresses a firm belief that fate lead him to this point in his life and career — or, at least, a belief in the opportunities that fate presents, at which point one must make their own luck.

How else could one explain how at a chance meeting, only a few weeks after filming that first movie role, Wu was introduced by a friend to his longtime idol Jackie Chan and within days was signed to a management deal with Chan's company?

"The biggest dream I ever had as a martial artist in the Bay Area was, 'I hope one day I can be a stunt guy in a Jackie Chan movie and have him kick me down a flight of stairs,'" said Wu, grinning. "That's all I ever wanted."

Perhaps it all had to happen exactly that way, anyway. Stardom in Hollywood hardly seemed an option for any Asian American actors when he first started out.

Years ago, as his career took off in Hong Kong and then China, shifting to the mainland as the film industry there exploded, Wu returned home to take meetings, hoping to land acting roles stateside. But the doors remained closed, even to a homegrown Asian star with dramatic acting chops and a sizable international following.

"I came out to Hollywood to see if there was any interest — and there wasn't, so I just gave up," Wu said. "I went back. I would take meetings and nothing would come of it. Quite frankly speaking, nothing came of it until recently, in the last few years, when there's been such a focus on the Chinese box office."

He continued, finding the balance in that hard lesson. "It sucks that it was money that motivated that move, but at the same time it's a good opportunity for everybody. You started to see more Chinese actors appear in Hollywood movies. I could see that that was about to happen, and then it happened."

He did bigger roles in small films such as "Europa Report" and small roles in bigger films such as RZA's "Man with the Iron Fist" ("I did it just because of RZA — I was a huge fan of Wu Tang Clan.") then landed a succession of higher profile gigs including "Badlands." "It was this slow progression of people starting to know who I was and then being educated on my influence back in Asia, and realizing, 'Oh, he speaks perfect English — that's a major plus.'"

In a world where we’re trying to expand what a leading man looks like ... I keep telling people, ‘He’s done it in Asia. You guys are late to the party.'

"INTO THE BADLANDS" SHOWRUNNER ALFRED GOUGH

Daniel Wu in season three of AMC's "Into the Badlands" (Aidan Monaghan/AMC)

He directed a film once, 2006's "The Heavenly Kings," which caused a stir when it was revealed to be a mockumentary satire of the Hong Kong pop music industry, for which he formed a fake boy band with fellow actors. But directing requires too much dedicated time for Wu right now, at a busy new juncture in his career.

Preparing to head back to Ireland to finish filming and producing an even more ambitious season of "Into the Badlands" — and set to do a second season of Chinese reality show "Dream House," in which he brings modern architecture to rural villages across China — he pondered his future in Hollywood.

"My favorite genre of filmmaking is crime drama, which I did a lot of in Hong Kong," he said. "One thing we can't do in China is heist movies because people doing bad things can't get away with them; the censorship you have to deal with is the challenge of working in Asia. But I would love to do an 'Italian Job' type heist film… or a comedy."

"He's got the charisma, he's got the chops, and he just really is the full package," said Gough. "And in a world where we're trying to expand what a leading man looks like in movies — you look at 'Black Panther' and movies like that — I keep telling people, 'You don't understand. He's done it in Asia. You guys are late to the party.'"

Wu laughs at the irony of having had to travel all the way across the world just to have a career at home. But San Francisco-born Bruce Lee did it too, so he's in good company.

"I think the difference now is the audience is different," he mused. "The audience is more diverse now not just culturally, but the white kids growing up today are eating Asian food. When I was growing up white kids were like, 'Hey, what are you eating?' And that was only 20 years ago."

Studio executives just have to take cues from today's culture-crossing youth and start thinking that way. "Once an opportunity is presented, we run with it — but at the same time it's [the people in charge] that have to give us those opportunities."

jen.yamato@latimes.com

@jenyamato
    THREADS:
    Tomb Raider 2018
    Into The Badlands
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

S3 promos are coming

Indiewire released a 'first look' gallery of 14 pix. I'm only c&ping the two new martial artists* on the cast, the ones to watch. Follow the link for the rest.

03.20.18 | 01:00PM PT
    ‘Into the Badlands’ Season 3 Photos: TV’s Best Martial Arts Drama Leaps Back Into Action — Exclusive

BY LIZ SHANNON MILLER

A FIRST LOOK AT THE RETURN OF THE AMC MARTIAL ARTS DRAMA
    “Into the Badlands” has always stood out in the television landscape for many reasons. For one thing, the cast is a truly inclusive ensemble, featuring Daniel Wu, Nick Frost, Orla Brady, Emily Beecham, and new cast members Babou Ceesay, Ella-Rae Smith, and Lorraine Toussaint.

Then there’s the way its premise — about a post-apocalyptic world centuries after the fall of our civilization, where superpowers and sword-fights are commonplace — blends a number of genres for a truly unique experience. Plus, there’s its epic production design, which rejects typical post-apocalyptic visuals by emphasizing vivid colors and beautiful landscapes.

And most notably, there are the incredible wuxia-inspired martial arts scenes, which use wires and the genius of martial arts coordinator Huan-Chiu Ku (who trained with the legendary Yuen Woo-ping and whose credits include the “Kill Bill” films, “Once Upon a Time in China II” and “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon”) to elevate the battles for power in the Badlands to truly epic heights.

All of these factors are showcased in the following photos from Season 3. The official description of what’s to come, as described by AMC:

Season 3 of “Into the Badlands” finds Sunny (Daniel Wu of “Tomb Raider”) living off the grid, doing his best to provide for his infant son, Henry, in the wake of Veil’s death. It is only when Henry contracts a mysterious illness that Sunny must join forces with Bajie (Nick Frost of “Shaun of the Dead”) and journey back into the Badlands, where The Widow (Emily Beecham of “Daphne”) and Baron Chau (Eleanor Matsuura of “Wonder Woman”) are entrenched in a drawn-out war that has destabilized the entire region.

Check out IndieWire’s previous coverage of the series here. “Into the Badlands” Season 3 premieres Sunday, April 22 on AMC.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    WOW ! I was only able to see the first season one of the series a month ago on Netflix, I wasn't aware that season two is now just released on Netflix. BINGE !
    I started my binge too, PalmStriker. I forgot how colorful this show is - the lushness of Ireland, the gorgeous costumes, and the continues splashes of brilliant sanguineous red. AMC has sent me a screener for S3E1 but of course, I'm under NDA for it. I was hoping to binge the whole of S2 before tapping into S3 but I might not make it. I might just watch it as soon as I get a free hour...

*actually Sherman Augustus isn't completely new to the show, as you'll see in S2E3 PalmStriker.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips