Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thai Boxing and Hard Qigong

Nice thread.
    MUay Thai is cool. I never took any Muay Thai classes but did learn some techniques when I worked at Thai restaurant, from one of the waitresses husbands. The dude was a nice older guy. I felt it was nothing really "new"; I understood what he showed me from my Kung Fu training, I felt. But it was still good.

Northern Kung Fu Kicking Skill is nothing to scoff at. For instance I notice in your video when you are kicking the bag w/ roundhouse kick, you put your leg down in between kicks and move as if you are "running your opponent down." And nothing wrong with that, to run your opponent down. I'm not trying to brag but can you execute 30 roundhouse kicks on each leg while keeping your hands on guard, with-out putting your foot down at all (just chambering) between low/medium and high on a heavy bag with power, without compromising your stance or moving forward/ backwards... that is good kung fu kicking skill. Also hitting live trees.

I also like some of the Chinese Police/Military drills I learned at a workshop (Gu Xin Fa, retired Chinese trainer), it assumes a San Da fighting stance/ posture (very similar to a Muay Thai on-guard), very to-the-point.

Quote Originally Posted by MarathonTmatt View Post
    Nice thread.
    MUay Thai is cool. I never took any Muay Thai classes but did learn some techniques when I worked at Thai restaurant, from one of the waitresses husbands. The dude was a nice older guy. I felt it was nothing really "new"; I understood what he showed me from my Kung Fu training, I felt. But it was still good.

Northern Kung Fu Kicking Skill is nothing to scoff at. For instance I notice in your video when you are kicking the bag w/ roundhouse kick, you put your leg down in between kicks and move as if you are "running your opponent down." And nothing wrong with that, to run your opponent down. I'm not trying to brag but can you execute 30 roundhouse kicks on each leg while keeping your hands on guard, with-out putting your foot down at all (just chambering) between low/medium and high on a heavy bag with power, without compromising your stance or moving forward/ backwards... that is good kung fu kicking skill. Also hitting live trees.

I also like some of the Chinese Police/Military drills I learned at a workshop (Gu Xin Fa, retired Chinese trainer), it assumes a San Da fighting stance/ posture (very similar to a Muay Thai on-guard), very to-the-point.
    I guess what I am trying to point out with the roundhouse kicks is commitment. I learned in my traditional long fist class (which includes bag work and sparring) from my teachers, is that you do not want to fully commit all power to just one movement... what if you miss and are countered, you will be in trouble. I am sure you already know this and have the experience, I am just re-iterating. So instead of doing just 1 kick, then 1 kick, then 1 kick, how about training 1, 2, 3, X's 30 kicks, bam, bam, bam, bam, you will be more prepared, but- yes- running the opponent down and moving around like you were is important too, so I have learned! Anyway, both are good training drills.

Thai boxing does not rechamber the knee following the kick, it has different mechanics then the snapping style kicks that rechamber.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

from my teachers, is that you do not want to fully commit all power to just one movement... what if you miss and are countered, you will be in trouble. I am sure you already know this and have the experience,.
    you can always follow up with a spinning elbow strike to the face of your opponent;] both style are good,no one is saying one is better than the other

Blog Entries
    can you execute 30 roundhouse kicks on each leg while keeping your hands on guard, with-out putting your foot down at all (just chambering) between low/medium and high on a heavy bag with power, without compromising your stance or moving forward/ backwards...
    Most of the TCMA use one kick to

- set up another kick,
    - set up another punch,
    - stop your opponent's attack,
    - close in the distance,

When you kick and if your opponent moves, you have to re-adjust your "rooting leg". You don't have the luxury not to move your "rooting leg" and perform another kick with the same leg and cover the same distance again.

In the following clip, you can see that he just dropped his kicking leg as close to his opponent as he could, and followed with a punch.

Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-17-2014 at 07:13 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

- set up another kick,
    - set up another punch,
    - close in the distance,

When you kick and if your opponent moves, you have to re-adjust your "rooting leg". You don't have the luxury not to move your "rooting leg" and perform another kick with the same leg and cover the same distance again.
    What John said. Set up, movement, and overrun.

Lately I've moved from kicking the heavybag to kicking an 80 foot tall steel lamp post on the baseball field.

Better than kicking trees, and now a 130lb Title bag flies when I throw round house kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    you can always follow up with a spinning elbow strike to the face of your opponent;] both style are good,no one is saying one is better than the other
    most excellent you are right, keep it up & looking good!

- set up another kick,
    - set up another punch,
    - close in the distance,

In the following clip, you can see that he just dropped his kicking leg as close to his opponent as he could, and followed with a punch.

Thanks for sharing the clip teacher Wang.
    You are right, when I first learned a nice kicking drill from one of my forms, which is a low cross kick followed by a low splitting kick, I was thinking of it mostly as an offensive maneuver, such as simultaneously executing those kicks after an intercept, but after a while one of my teacher's explained the same kicks can also be used to stop/intercept an opponent's attack. Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    What John said. Set up, movement, and overrun.

Lately I've moved from kicking the heavybag to kicking an 80 foot tall steel lamp post on the baseball field.

Better than kicking trees, and now a 130lb Title bag flies when I throw round house kicks.
    Nice., I like the live trees because sometimes they snap and make cool noises when they are penetrated. When I worked at Hannaford Supermarkets, on my lunch break I would go to an empty parking lot behind the building, and I used one of the lamp posts there as a target, I don't think it was steel though, it looked like this-

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...O1ljbiX1BvtguS

I have sometimes done arm banging and palm strike (brush knee and push) on a steel post though.

Wow your kicks are as powerful as my Sifu's I am not quite there yet, but I love my leg strength and leg conditioning, especially the way that a proud northern style trains it.

Nice., I like the live trees because sometimes they snap and make cool noises when they are penetrated. When I worked at Hannaford Supermarkets, on my lunch break I would go to an empty parking lot behind the building, and I used one of the lamp posts there as a target, I don't think it was steel though, it looked like this-

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...O1ljbiX1BvtguS
    This type:

http://www.powerengineersllc.com/fuller%20field1.png

They make a loud ringing sound when you hit them right.

I tried a couple of the regular wood lamp posts, but I could tell they would break by the way they wobbled.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Actually, the school that we teach out of sets up their bags so they drag on the ground. So it can be a little hard to get them to fly.

Blog Entries
    It's bettter to kick on a small "life" tree that can be bent than to kick on a

- big "life" tree that can't be bent, or
    - "dead" metal pole.

It will be better for your knee joint in the long run.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-18-2014 at 12:35 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

It's bettter to kick on a small "life" tree that can be bent than to kick on a

- big "life" tree that can't be bent, or
    - "dead" metal pole.

It will be better for your knee joint in the long run.
    The pole wasn't my first choice, but people don't take kindly to damaging trees in public areas.

Gradually work up to it and don't go full force on the pole. Save that for the heavy bag.

I was surprised at the improvement from switching to the pole. Good chance to work on structure and focus.

For internal kicks...

It pretty much depends what club you find, if it's using the 'Muay Thai' name and is just kickboxing with tiny shorts and different pad positions, if it's Dutch Muay Thai (boxing combos and low kicks), or if it's traditional Muay Thai (lots of clinch, knees, awful punches).

Just bear in mind that if you are training with competitive fighters you will get hit at hard as you hit them.

The subject of hard Qigong is a tricky one and I would suggest you do some deep reading into it, bear in mind that these practices were developed when the risks in society around people were far higher than they are today.

The best thing for the question would be developing confidence through light sparring, working incrementally up to class sparring level. Spend a bit of money on 1 to 1's and when you feel right, start training with the others.

I work alongside a 12 year undefeated Muay Thai champ, and help to bring on young kickboxers as well as training myself, so I hope what I say is valid.

Hope that helps!