Thread: How Many Series and Repetitions in Strength Training?

How Many Series and Repetitions in Strength Training?

Hello, everyone!

How do ye do in yer strength training?

I find it very difficult to find specific strenght training for developing muscular strenght and muscular endurance for kung fu, as most of that kind content aims hypertrophy. What I do is 3 series/10 repetitions for arms' muscles, 3 series/12 repetions for chest and back, and 3 series/15 repetitions for legs' muscles. I rest 30 seconds between each serie, and 90 seconds before starting a new exercise. I try using both isolate moves in exercises and also compound moves. That worked well up to now, but I don't know if it's really the best way of strength training for kung fu.

Cheers in advance!
    向雷锋学习!~

“人生根本不存在极限,但是却存在着停滞期。你不能在这个阶段停留,要跨越它。如果你跨越不了它,就会被它 彻底摧毁。” - 《李小龙》

“保持空灵之心,无形,无法,就像水一样。水倒入杯中就成了杯子的形状,倒入瓶中就成为瓶子的形状,倒入茶 壶中就成为茶壶的形状。而水能载舟亦能覆舟。像水一样吧,我的朋友。” - 《李小龙》

Strength training is all about goals, about what you want to accomplish.
    In a nutshell:
    If you want to develop pure strength, ie: As much strength as possible with as little mass as possible, you keep the weight high, the reps low and the number of sets will depend on how many exercises you wanna do.
    A typical "pure" strength protocol is the 6 sets of 3 reps or the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 protocol ( 1 set of 5, 1 set f 4, 1 set of 3, etc, etc).
    Then there is the protocol to build strength with some mass, like the 5X5
    Then there are the mass building protocols like the 3 sets of 10 or the 10x10 german volume protocol.
    The there are the ones that are focused on developing muscular endurance like the 4 x 16 or the 3 x 20, etc, etc

The point being that you need to be clear on what you want to develop first and train accordingly AND EAT accordingly.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Strength training is all about goals, about what you want to accomplish.
    In a nutshell:
    If you want to develop pure strength, ie: As much strength as possible with as little mass as possible, you keep the weight high, the reps low and the number of sets will depend on how many exercises you wanna do.
    A typical "pure" strength protocol is the 6 sets of 3 reps or the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 protocol ( 1 set of 5, 1 set f 4, 1 set of 3, etc, etc).
    Then there is the protocol to build strength with some mass, like the 5X5
    Then there are the mass building protocols like the 3 sets of 10 or the 10x10 german volume protocol.
    The there are the ones that are focused on developing muscular endurance like the 4 x 16 or the 3 x 20, etc, etc

The point being that you need to be clear on what you want to develop first and train accordingly AND EAT accordingly.
    Thanks, man!
    向雷锋学习!~

“人生根本不存在极限,但是却存在着停滞期。你不能在这个阶段停留,要跨越它。如果你跨越不了它,就会被它 彻底摧毁。” - 《李小龙》

“保持空灵之心,无形,无法,就像水一样。水倒入杯中就成了杯子的形状,倒入瓶中就成为瓶子的形状,倒入茶 壶中就成为茶壶的形状。而水能载舟亦能覆舟。像水一样吧,我的朋友。” - 《李小龙》