September 12, 13, 14-2014 Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun of Arizona
    Hosted by Sifu Mark Jones
    1805 E. Elliot Rd. Suite 110
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    Phone:480-820-2428
    hfyaz.com
    Email: sifujones@hfyoarizona.com

November 7,8,9-2014 HUNG FA YI CLUB of RIO, BRASIL*
    Sifu Marcelo Capano Phone:21 7707-5478*ID:123*3262 Phone:*(21) 3021-4458Email: profeped@yahoo.com

For more information regarding the detail of subject matter in our workshops please visit the following link:
    HFY Wing Chun Time, Space & Energy Philosophy & Principle
    紅花義詠春拳之時空能哲學與拳理
    Written by Grand Master Garrett Gee
    朱競雄 著作

http://www.hungfakwoon.com/HFYTSEPP.htm
    World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association

"Obey the natural laws and principles of the universe." ~ Grandmaster Garrett Gee

"Education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society... We must remember intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Watch "SNT Comparisons KFT" on YouTube

Last edited by Savi; 08-05-2014 at 09:08 PM.

"Obey the natural laws and principles of the universe." ~ Grandmaster Garrett Gee

"Education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society... We must remember intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Video on the topic of the workshop material

Latest commentary from the HFY Workshop that was conducted in Kansas City/Liberty, MO at the Academy of Fighting and Fitness/ Master Song's Martial Arts!

From Grandmaster Garrett Gee:
    “I want to thank Sifu Dale Vits his students and all participants of the three day work shop in Kansas this past weekend. Their reception and accommodations were very gracious. This group was enthusiastic with many eyes lighting up in acknowledgement of their comprehension. This workshop was very important as HFY Wing Chun has just began a new chapter to the public beyond technique applications into the core system expression of "HFY Time, Space & Energy". For those interested there are two more workshops this year, one in Phoenix, Az. and one in Brasil.”

From Sifu Dale Vits:
    “This is a monumental day in history! We are so fortunate and excited to be learning the Time Space & Energy Philosophy & Principle information from Grand Master Garrett Gee at Academy of Fighting and Fitness/ Master Song's Martial Arts. This is a Wing Chun Kung Fu Martial Arts first ever. Our experience is going from a technique based Wing Chun system, to the Hung Fa Yi Time Space Energy system approach. The information in this article is like finding the arc of the covenant for the Martial Arts Wing Chun community. Others may misinterpret, use or steal the Time Space Energy words, but without the correct mental and physical drilling coming "directly from the source", the information will not be understood or reproduced. This workshop has changed our lives and we are forever indebted to Hung Fa Yi Grand Master Garrett Gee. in Kansas City/Liberty, MO at Academy of Fighting and Fitness/ Master Song's Martial Arts we experienced the most wonderful/exceptional Masters Level workshop. It is clear that we have never seen or experienced information with such breadth and depth before. We will be doing workshops on this information for years to come! Thank you Sifu Garrett Gee!”

Topic for the next Arizona workshop:

HFYWCK SNT plus three different Bong Sao:

Ying Bong 鷹膀
    Hok Bong 鶴膀
    Lan Bong 欄膀

After last weekend’s successful workshop in Kansas City, we will continue to examine the differences between the technique approach and the "HFY Time Space Energy System Approach."

How do HFY TYD technologies expose the differences between the techniques of Chi Sao and HFY System approach of Chi Sao?

Why does HFY recognize three different Bong Sao: Ying Bong 鷹膀, Hok Bong 鶴膀 and Lan Bong 欄膀?

What influence(s) do these Bong Sao have through the Time Space & Energy based Chi Sao?

The answers to these questions will be clearly explained at the next HFY Workshop in Arizona.
    Last edited by Savi; 08-07-2014 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Savi View Post
    Video on the topic of the workshop material

@09:37
    '' ...Grabbing is discouraged, as this ''locked action'' creates an opportunity for an opponent to break your wrist, fingers or counter grab,...''
    I knew it! I was always taught this in Five Animals Kung Fu many years ago, never to grab with the thumb encircling the opponents wrist. It's a problem you see often, in many WC / WT practitioners, when grabbing hand / larp sao is performed.

Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Tong Chuang; 08-12-2014 at 09:14 AM. Reason: clarification

Wing Chun is a Puzzle, enclosed in an Enigma, set within a Mystery!
    The Truth is Out There - Somewhere!

Hello Tong Chuang,

I can relate as well to your 5 Animal Kung Fu background regarding grabbing. I am glad that you identify with this aspect about the dangers of grabbing as described in the video/article. That part of the article is one of my favorite sections.

Which reminds me that Sifu Dale Vits teaches Chin Na/grappling too. Along with his commentary posted above, he also had this to say during the latest HFY workshop:

“From Sifu Dale Vits:
    We are now being presented by Grand Master Garrett Gee the HFY Wing Chun Kung Fu Time Space Energy Wooden Dummy form. NOW! After spending over 24 years teaching / training in other Wing Chun lineages my mind has been completely & thoroughly blown!!! "Thank God" for putting me in the time and space to meet and be accepted by Grand Master Garrett Gee as my Sifu!!!!! At this moment I feel like the luckiest man in the universe!!! ; o)))”

Sifu Dale (one of the performers (right side) in the SNT Comparison video) actually learned 2 versions of TWC SNT through Sifu Robert Smith. It isn’t all that uncommon where people are taught multiple ways to do things. There are many generations of people who have learned that way.

After the Kansas City workshop, Sifu Dale attested to big differences in the things he has learned in the past compared to what he is learning now in HFYWCK. It is very inspiring for me to see someone with his accomplishments (for example) still become genuinely passionate, even decades into his journey, for the things he is learning even today.

Update

The Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kuen workshop for Phoenix AZ kicks off tomorrow (9-12-14) and will last through the weekend!

Recently, Grandmaster Garrett Gee announced that a new chapter for HFY has just begun:

"HFY Wing Chun has just begun a new chapter to the public beyond technique applications into the core system expression of "HFY Time, Space & Energy" and the applications of Maximum Efficiency. For those interested there are two more workshops this year, one in Phoenix, AZ and one in Brasil." - Garrett Gee

After the most recent HFY workshop held in Kansas City, MO there have been more persons wishing to further their training into HFYWCK. The opportunity is there for everyone to apply and submit their applications for the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Long Distance Instructor Program, wherein a direct interview with Grandmaster Garrett Gee may then be arranged. If anyone is interested in joining the WHFYWCKFA, please email: worldhfy@gmail.com for an application.

The next event will be this November for the Brasil HFY Workshop!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Savi View Post
    The Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kuen workshop for Phoenix AZ kicks off tomorrow (9-12-14) and will last through the weekend!

Recently, Grandmaster Garrett Gee announced that a new chapter for HFY has just begun:

"HFY Wing Chun has just begun a new chapter to the public beyond technique applications into the core system expression of "HFY Time, Space & Energy" and the applications of Maximum Efficiency. For those interested there are two more workshops this year, one in Phoenix, AZ and one in Brasil." - Garrett Gee

After the most recent HFY workshop held in Kansas City, MO there have been more persons wishing to further their training into HFYWCK. The opportunity is there for everyone to apply and submit their applications for the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Long Distance Instructor Program, wherein a direct interview with Grandmaster Garrett Gee may then be arranged. If anyone is interested in joining the WHFYWCKFA, please email: worldhfy@gmail.com for an application.

The next event will be this November for the Brasil HFY Workshop!
    I went to this. I must say it's been far too long and I had far too much fun. I could bore you with technical details about 4 gate theory tying in to one hand chi sau tying in to specific hfy siu nim tau section movements, but all I really want to say is it was really good to see sifu Gee and all my broskis about 90% of whom don't post on the internet, to spend some time working up a sweat late into the evenings and talking about everything under the sun from religion to science to history to family stories until all hours approaching sunrise. A little awakening of the soul and awakening of the hands on the bridge. I personally felt like it was kind of the renaissance my soul needed. The Red Bandana society lives on!!!! And my prediction is its on the rise.

September 2014 Workshop

Good day to everyone! In light of HFY Grandmaster Gee’s latest article and video on “Hung Fa Yi’s Time Space Energy Principle & Philosophy”, I must say the heart of my combat training experience during the September 2014 workshop was ultimately philosophically driven. I have thus far delved into such classical works as “Art of War”, “Tao Te Ching”, “The Great Learning”, and “The Doctrine of the Mean” (among other classical works) to further my understanding and views of Grandmaster Gee’s teachings both past and present. These timeless works, though challenging to study at times, enabled me to see the ideology and architecture of HFY in a way I have not seen in years past, and I was left both awe struck and more enlightened through his guidance. In turn, it is through such philosophical understandings that my actions and experiences over recent months have been intrinsically transformed; shaping my knowledge and experiences anew.

Those who also have direct experience with his teachings would attest that he is a teacher of the Way and goes well beyond the physical layers of martial arts as a teacher and warrior. In essence, the gravity of his knowledge in all matters of Chinese culture and martial arts should be held in very high regard. To me, though HFYWCK is highly complex and scientifically sophisticated it still lends itself to the Wing Chun signature trademark of being “Simple, Direct and Efficient” – which can be quite the paradox! I liken it to today’s “smart technology” wherein the ingenuity required to make something like a smart phone is one of a mankind’s highest achievements yet it caters to being simple and easy to use.

GM Gee stated in his article: “The necessity to provide a system of self-defense to interact with a multitude of fighting styles also inspired the development of this truly unique martial art system. The new fighting system must be complex in design and function, yet simple direct and efficient to deploy.”

The reality of combat is not simple. It’s messy and unpredictable; chaotic. It happens from all directions and all angles. Shouldn’t one’s chosen method of combative form be complex and sophisticated enough to meet that reality whilst lending itself to simplicity and efficiency? How is risk management involved? To what ideological templates should the art be drawn from where innate strategy and tactics can then be derived from? Since human nature is involved (meaning Mind Body and Spirit cannot be divorced from any process), what philosophical and technical associations are there to aide in threading true consistency throughout the entire art? Based on my studies of such things, Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kuen speaks to all these things and balances out the reality of chaos.

One of my takeaways from the workshop is the importance of the Sifu in the educational process. The role of the Sifu in the structure of Martial Education is undeniably required because without the Sifu all things fall apart. The Sifu is the root and source for which all knowledge is extended. From my perspective, this point was demonstrated both directly and indirectly during the September ‘14 HFY Workshop throughout his presentation and demonstration of the logic flow of HFYWCK and how all of its components interface for both developmental and real-time combat application. Studying the classical texts have given me a whole new appreciation for HFY's Saam Mo Kiu philosophy on so many levels. My most recent studies under Grandmaster Garrett Gee have truly been transformative experiences. I am deeply grateful for his teachings and guidance.

Updated promo for the next HFY Workshop in Brazil.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

So we didn't post up a pre notification for this here, but Feb. 5-8 GM Gee did another instructor training weekend in Arizona where the Saturday included an open to public workshop event.

In the public event GM Gee used a technique to bridge conversation into the HFY system. The technique was the backfist. We started with demonstrations of other systems types of backfists, and what other systems do to defend a backfist of various types. We worked into the HFY backfist - a structured backfist which shows up a bit in the SNT form, and the HFY box theory and inside the box skills for defending the backfist, which includes a tan sau and control of the centerline and a perfect anti-grappling position which I personally was dissecting and playing with all weekend (thanks Ned!) due to my background. I really like his public workshops. They bridge from a technique - easy to understand and relate to, to theory - hard to understand and relate to - to plenty of hands on incorporation and working of each. The complete package works and I get it after we are done, even the system concepts which may be new if someone has never heard of them. The way I feel about the theory is I think it has to be mixed with hands on to get it. So I don't see a real value in pontificating on it here.

In the private instructor training we hung out team building, and are continuing to awaken the hands and GM Gee is defining and refining curriculum for the next generation. If we all can succeed at this it will be cool because it will not be like every decade of student that has touched GM Gee's hands has something different to teach and a different wing chun. Same engine same structure. If we can succeed it will be cool down the road a bit. Savi is of immense help here because he has a photographic memory phenomenon going on.

In general I believe this pattern is going to continue with training weekends and public workshops in the locations posted at the top of this thread - Arizona, Brazil, Kansas - every few months or a few a year. We will do better about posting up schedules. If anyone is around any of these locations, or if years of interest has piqued your curiosity enough to be near one of these locations, check out one of GM Gee's Saturday workshops. They are unique, fun, informative, and you'll come away with a new perspective I believe, because he teaches a very cool mainland Wing Chun art and science pretty different from Ip Man Wing Chun.
    Last edited by Wayfaring; 02-25-2015 at 08:11 AM.