Thread: Sprain ankle

Sprain ankle

After reading the tooth from the tiger mouth and looking at sprain ankles, I am wondering if there is a way to recover from the injury. All I've read are generalizations and I am curious to see if there are people here with some ideas and resources. A kid of 14 years old got a bad sprain ankle and after a week she started walking. Her swollen ankle is getting better with some dark areas underneath the ankle. I put dit ta jow then started with hot water and she's stepping much better. When I was younger, I usually will start exercises after the second week and work out my muscles. Unfortunately, my ankle has been weak since then. Any thoughts?

mig

Quote Originally Posted by mig View Post
    After reading the tooth from the tiger mouth and looking at sprain ankles, I am wondering if there is a way to recover from the injury. All I've read are generalizations and I am curious to see if there are people here with some ideas and resources. A kid of 14 years old got a bad sprain ankle and after a week she started walking. Her swollen ankle is getting better with some dark areas underneath the ankle. I put dit ta jow then started with hot water and she's stepping much better. When I was younger, I usually will start exercises after the second week and work out my muscles. Unfortunately, my ankle has been weak since then. Any thoughts?

mig
    I have treated many ankles in my career - some acutely sprained, others old chronic injuries; in general, I typically get excellent results using manual therapy alone (no RICE, etc); now, although I am a PT by license, my approach is primarily osteopathic (what I do doesn't exactly fall into that category either); what I have found w ankles is that first u find the position where the ankle wants to be - so u unweight it, and follow the tension into the dysfunction; once there, u take up the tension in six degrees of movement, and "hold" it in that balanced tension; at some point, this will create a "release", the ankle will pull back to midline, and then u retest whatever parameters were dysfunctional at the beginning (pain, weakness, lack of range, etc);

This is very hard to explain, it really needs to be experienced directly as qualitatively it's very specific; I guess that my point is that it's possible to "fix" ankles equally well that are acute and that are chronic; caveat: if there is marked tissue rupture (tearing, allusion, fracture) then obviously this is not going to "cure" that, although it will assist with healing and recovery once the tissue has repaired itself;

I tell people to go to their family doctor first to rule out severe 'problems'.
    When I do assist in alleviating the sprain sprain, I use a combination of baking soda and cool water, not warm, more on the cold side (soaked for 30 min. 2xday. 4- 5 days later, I then use tui'na and shiatsu with dit da jow to warm up the area with pulling, pushing, pressing, for a few days, depending oh how the person is recovering.

What do you recommend after 3 weeks for recovery and healing. Are salted water hot and cold good for the injured ankle? Just curious on your experiences.

Mig