Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Front kick problems

My bad haha I meant the Wu Shu as someone said on here, of course, I want to use it for fighting, but I dont want to be the typical kid in the movies who tries to use kung fu for fighting before he's ready ha? So I like to think of it as a study until I have to use it as a fighting application, we don't train heavy bag, just forms.

Quote Originally Posted by cturts View Post
    So I like to think of it as a study until I have to use it as a fighting application, we don't train heavy bag, just forms.
    Unfortunately, you will never be ready to use it in fighting if you just train forms.

Ancient secret: Skill of Sandbags is most important method of traditional Shaolin Gong Fu. Start training heavy bag now, for the sake of the art.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    He already said his kicks aren't for fighting, so may as well skip the toe kick and go straight to butterfly twist...
    You don't appreciate Wushu? That's exactly what I'm practicing at the moment, toe kick & butterfly twist mania over here.

So anyway, does anyone have any ideas on how I can get my leg higher, or is it just to continue practicing the kicks. Thanks

I don't mean for my kicks to be for fighting, I mean for traditional kung fu
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Neeros View Post
    It has been said multiple times now but it must be said again...

Traditional kung fu IS fighting.

hahahahahahaha ohhh you guys beat me to it...i would go one step further TRADITIONAL KUNG FU IS ABOUT KILLING and not much else

anyway looks like your doing the 5 step form (think thats the name) and as others have said not much use in it going higher than the groin, but maybe your hip flexors would be worth a stretch ? can you do front splits?

edit:

You don't appreciate Wushu?
    i think it was more you said you were studying traditional and said your stuff wasn't for fighting
    Last edited by Pete; 07-24-2014 at 07:22 AM.
    I guess we are who we are

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

anyway looks like your doing the 5 step form (think thats the name) and as others have said not much use in it going higher than the groin, but maybe your hip flexors would be worth a stretch ? can you do front splits?
    Thanks buddy, I can almost do the front splits but not all the way there, great idea, I had totally forgotten about these! thanks man. Are there any stretches you would recommend for getting the last bit of the way? I just want to ask people who do it for real rather than watching bad videos on youtube lol.

I didn't mean to kick anything off but it was only my first post here so seemed a little harsh ha, as far as I was concerned Wushu was traditional, but I've now been told that it's not.

I'm here to learn, that's why I signed up

theres nothing wrong with what you are training, its just not traditional kung fu.

this is traditional kung fu
    Last edited by bawang; 07-24-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

You don't appreciate Wushu? That's exactly what I'm practicing at the moment, toe kick & butterfly twist mania over here.
    Actually I do appreciate modern wushu. It's fun, challenging and amazing to watch when performed well.

It's just that certain aspects of modern wushu are contrary to the fundamentals of fighting. It's fine if that's what you want to do, or you can do both, so long as you understand the differences. There's just a long history of folks confusing and muddying the two.

As for getting the leg up, keep doing your stretch kicks, train leg strength and do jumping exercises.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Blog Entries
    does anyone have any ideas on how I can get my leg higher,...
    Besides split on the ground, 3 suggestions here;

1. lock your knee and "swing" your leg over your head and touch the hand above your head.

2. lean your upper body back when you kick.

3. As Kellen Bassette suggested, train your jump front kick with your foot touching the hand above your head.

Name:  my_high_kick.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  91.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-24-2014 at 03:16 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Perfect! Thanks for your help

training right now it's nearly midnight but who cares

Thanks again.

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries

No_Know Say on Front Kick Problem of cturts

The bent knee in many of the examples seem to be due to a lack of flexibility. The kicks you uses will be lower

than the kicks you practice. But unless you practice higher your forward kicks can be strong but momentum reliant.

This is Kung-Fu, there's no Fix there's Practice. There's training....Front kick- Knee determines height of kick.

Knee before extension. Start stopping the kick before you reach your point of kick's end. If you haven't reached

the end of your kick your knee is still up. Knee supports the foreleg--you can push off the ground for part of it

but the rest of it or the drive comes from the gut to move the thigh. The foot grips or wrestles with the ground

to allow you to direrct the kick foot grips the Earth. This stability goes through the leg regulated by the gut.

Traditional Kung-Fu is a buzzword (buzzphrase)-some might use it for sales. Some for credibility. I think there

might have been a range of what was traditionally done. And people have their reasons. If you want good legs Keep

the support leg straight as you can lead with the knee.

An Aside practice to get improvement in a front kick. Lift the foot from the thigh, Not swinging-lifting by Will.

No bending all legs straight. Torso straight--leg lift Preferablly work-up to 200 each leg morning and evening.

Can be done in twenty-five minutes per session.

No_Know

https://myspace.com/effersynergy/vid...-kick/55955547
    Last edited by No_Know; 07-24-2014 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Replacing video link with video
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    theres nothing wrong with what you are training, its just not traditional kung fu.

this is traditional kung fu
    woo-wee, that's nice long pole! extending heavy poles!!

So anyway, does anyone have any ideas on how I can get my leg higher, or is it just to continue practicing the kicks. Thanks
    A lot of people with more experience than me have made great points, man. Might I also add, work on your rooting also. Rooting= leg conditioning. stretching is good, but so is rooting. Root your stances, like Ma Bu, Hengdan Gum Bu, Pu Bu, Xie Bu, Gum Bu, etc. I'm not sure how far along you are in training, but also flow techniques in drills that flow thru different postures, mixing up low/ high, keeping your back straight. Also if you know or have the opportunity to train any push hands or anything like it, take advantage of that b/c that can also help your root.

Also when you drill front kicks, slap kicks, heel kicks, round house kicks, etc., remember that will-power is important. feel the power surge through your body. The day before I ran the Boston Marathon, I hiked up to the summit of a mountain where I could see the boston skyline. I conquered the marathon right then and there. I pointed to the city skyline and I said, "I am coming for you, you are in the grasp of my palm." You need that kind of attitude. Feel the power surge from the soles of your feet, up through your body and skywards (and keep your back straight.) By the way, I am 6 foot 2 inches, maybe even 6'3" like you are. I am unusually flexible for my height (by standard norms).

As Kellen Basette said, get a heavy bag!! bag work= essential training tool. If you do not have a training bag then practice on live trees.

Thanks buddy, I can almost do the front splits but not all the way there, great idea, I had totally forgotten about these! thanks man. Are there any stretches you would recommend for getting the last bit of the way? I just want to ask people who do it for real rather than watching bad videos on youtube lol.

I didn't mean to kick anything off but it was only my first post here so seemed a little harsh ha, as far as I was concerned Wushu was traditional, but I've now been told that it's not.

I'm here to learn, that's why I signed up
    it's all good, made me laugh at least it's good to have another youngish kung fu guy that want's to learn

i'm probably at the same point as you on the front splits... try putting a cushion or 2 under your front leg when you do it, i can't say if this works yet but it's what i'm trying for the last few inches

theres another stretch i have no idea what its called though, kind of like a bow stance with rear leg bent , feet facing forwards and you push down on your butt cheek and kinda bounce it...should feel the hip flexor going (i think its that anyway)

where too are you training?
    I guess we are who we are

i know this sounds counterintuitive, but if you train for fighting you will look good performing. if you train just for performance you rarely look good. a good wushu performance is a combination of strength, power, grace, dignity, and brutality.

if that deleted video you posted was you, i recommend lifting some weights. it will make your kicks look good.