Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Front kick problems

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i know this sounds counterintuitive, but if you train for fighting you will look good performing. if you train just for performance you rarely look good. a good wushu performance is a combination of strength, power, grace, dignity, and brutality.

if that deleted video you posted was you, i recommend lifting some weights. it will make your kicks look good.
    I was going to recommend this as well, Curtis. Weight training will aid in developing the strength necessary to perform these high kicks with control which sounds like something you're after. Squats and dead-lifts are your friends in this situation, with lunges (all variations) as accessory exercises to aid in developing strength with mobility. Plus the deadlift (aka the health lift) has been around since people have needed to pick something up from the ground. In fact, there is a Shaolin skill similar to which someone more knowledgeable in Shaolin culture could tell you what it's called (something like 1000 Catty Lift).

Definitely, I want to reiterate the heavy bag, it will help.

1 Kung fu means many things to many people. To us, it means hard labor and eating bitterness.

Why ?

2 In tai ji and ba ji, every step is a (grinding) stomp. In Ba Ji, it is grinding front sole and stomping heel. In Tai Ji, the other way around.

In long fist, every step is a kick.

It was fun to do them.

Until, you are asked to add weights to your ankles.

3 half of pound, one pound then 3 pounds.

As if they are not grueling enough.

4 At the end of the day, you want flexibility around your hip and knee joints. You also want strength in your gluteal, hamstring etc

5 the hard part is that you do them all over again tomorrow.

Of course you want some breaks (days) in between sessions. So that your joint and muscles may rest and rebuild.

That is Kung (labor) and Fu (time).

Having our back leg flexed at the knee when we lauch a front kick is good technique for several reasons that I do not bother to mention here. They are commonly agreed. So what about the original question on to keep the back leg straight. There might be an occasion to justify doing so. But it is rare. For example, when we want to front kick at highest target, without resorting to jump kick.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong