Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Chang Quan Shaolin?

Is Chang Quan Shaolin?

I'm training Kung Fu with a Shaolin Monk here in England, and I was wondering if Chang Quan, the style I'm learning currently, is Shaolin?

We are also doing a lot of Qi Gong but mainly the meditation side of it, but with this forum being called Shaolin Boxing, I know they do lots of Sanshou at the shaolin monastery but are these non animal hand forms still Shaolin?

Thanks

Chang Quan is an umbrella term for many northern kung fu systems. I'm sure some are shaolin-based, but Chang Quan (Long Fist) systems such as Cha Quan/Tan Tuei are of Chinese Muslim (Uighur) origin. Taiji Quan could also be classified as a Long fist system as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cturts View Post
    I'm training Kung Fu with a Shaolin Monk here in England, and I was wondering if Chang Quan, the style I'm learning currently, is Shaolin?

We are also doing a lot of Qi Gong but mainly the meditation side of it, but with this forum being called Shaolin Boxing, I know they do lots of Sanshou at the shaolin monastery but are these non animal hand forms still Shaolin?

Thanks
    shaolin temple gets its kung fu from the medieval chinese army, that includes chang quan. if you describe more detail of what you are doing in training i can tell you what it is.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Yes and no. Its complicated. As BaWang says we need a little more detail.

At Shaolin Temple Animal forms are not the focus, thats more of a southern thing. Shaolin even confined to Song Mountain contains many family styles. The styles can roughly be thought of as having 3 major strategies;

ChangQuan (Long Fist), DuanDa (Short Strike) and TieShenKao (Leaning against the body techniques).

Typically Shaolin forms will contain bits of all 3 strategies but when practicing basic skills (JiBenGong) it is common to focus on the longfist techniques.
    問「武」。曰:「克。」未達。曰:「勝己之私之謂克。」

Thanks guys,

What kind of information do you need? I don't know if it helps, but if you put in Jet Li Chang Quan on YouTube, I'm learning similar moves to that, not the same form but the moves are similar.

unless that's the same as all chang quan forms ha, I'm pretty new and have never had people to talk to about my Kung Fu

Blog Entries
    What kind of information do you need?
    The long fist system contains 5 major branches 查(Cha), 花(Hua), 洪(Hon), 弹(Tan), 炮(Pao). There are also many minor branches such as 埋伏(Mai Fu), ... Which branch are you talking about?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-24-2014 at 04:16 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Thanks guys,

What kind of information do you need? I don't know if it helps, but if you put in Jet Li Chang Quan on YouTube, I'm learning similar moves to that, not the same form but the moves are similar.

unless that's the same as all chang quan forms ha, I'm pretty new and have never had people to talk to about my Kung Fu
    Any names of forms would be useful, (they are hard to pronounce I know)

Well, to be honest a lot of northern kung fu does look a bit like this yes. I see the differences clearly now but if you have seen less of them they will all look very similar. During basic skills practice a lot of the Shaolin will practice techniques a lot like in JetLi's chang quan. All the same jumps and kicks etc.

When it comes to traditional forms and techniques they are different, but if you are starting off then these basic drills are probably the main focus for a while.

Here are some classic Shaolin Temple forms so you can see the kind of the style;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NrLSCa16no Da TongBei Quan - YiLu,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xub2tLJYzRY Xiao Hong Quan - YiLu,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr3q4vhzr58 Da LuoHan Quan - YiLu,
    問「武」。曰:「克。」未達。曰:「勝己之私之謂克。」

With regards to Changquan, most schools run by "Shaolin Monks" these days either teach a form called "Taizu Changquan" which is a traditional style associated with Shaolin, or they are teaching a modern wushu form called just "Changquan". This modern "Changquan" is strictly for performance, though some of the moves contained are derived from traditional sources.
    "I'm a highly ranked officer of his tong. HE is the Dragon Head. our BOSS. our LEADER. the Mountain Lord." - hskwarrior

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    With regards to Changquan, most schools run by "Shaolin Monks" these days either teach a form called "Taizu Changquan" which is a traditional style associated with Shaolin, or they are teaching a modern wushu form called just "Changquan". This modern "Changquan" is strictly for performance, though some of the moves contained are derived from traditional sources.
    I think this is the one, thanks pazman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pdMqq4Lq2c this is the kind of thing, I think it's just Changquan because everything I do is based on the performance, straight legged kicks etc.

So is this Shaolin? If not, what is it?

I think this is the one, thanks pazman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pdMqq4Lq2c this is the kind of thing, I think it's just Changquan because everything I do is based on the performance, straight legged kicks etc.

So is this Shaolin? If not, what is it?
    this is 1960 communist era performance wushu. you perform in front of judges and they award you points.

you have a dilemma. at one end, your teacher scammed you and he is not a shaolin monk.

on the other hand, it is exactly what you are looking for, and you are not suitable for traditional kung fu of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    this is 1960 communist era performance wushu. you perform in front of judges and they award you points.

you have a dilemma. at one end, your teacher scammed you and he is not a shaolin monk.

on the other hand, it is exactly what you are looking for, and you are not suitable for traditional kung fu of any kind.

He's certainly a shaolin monk
    Master Xingbo

He is trained in modern wushu too so I'm not being scammed.

Why would you not consider me suitable just because I practice Wushu? does it make me any less flexible or practiced?

He's certainly a shaolin monk
    Master Xingbo

He is trained in modern wushu too so I'm not being scammed.

Why would you not consider me suitable just because I practice Wushu? does it make me any less flexible or practiced?
    his website clearly says he is a modern wushu coach. and he never claims to be a shaolin monk on his website. it only says he trained there.

"Competitive Wushu is composed of two disciplines:
    • Taolu (套路; forms)
    Taolu involve martial art patterns and manoeuvres for which competitors are judged and given points according to specific rules. "

this guy looks pretty good and suits what you are looking for.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-24-2014 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks that's the kinda thing I've joined this forum to learn, I have no idea ha.

he does a really good Mantis form, is this still not shaolin?

What's the difference between training at the shaolin temple and being a shaolin monk?

Thanks again

What's the difference between training at the shaolin temple and being a shaolin monk?
    training at shaolin temple means you pay them 10 thousand-50 thousand dollars and train kung fu for 1-5 years. then you receive a certificate and a buddhist name. or you make up a fake buddhist name.

being a shaolin monk means being an actual monk and training kung fu on the side.

Last edited by bawang; 07-24-2014 at 02:07 PM.

Welcome to the forum, cturts.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    training at shaolin temple means you pay them 10 thousand-50 thousand dollars and train kung fu for 1-5 years. then you receive a certificate and a buddhist name. or you make up a fake buddhist name.
    cturts, your first lesson here is not to take bawang too seriously.

Here's my Shaolin Special 2004 cover story, Real versus Fake, which might enlighten you about on the unique status of the 'monk' title at Shaolin.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart