Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Bruce Lee vs. Gary Elms

He studied Red Junk Wing Chun in the US for about 6 years time. Same guy that taught James Keating . He was Bruce's dads friend. Bruce picked him up from the docks with Jesse Glover. According to Jesse Glovers book. So he studied longer and first hand with a different style of wing chun right here. Beside, the dude went every where and learned from anyone. Ask the Willem Reeders boys about him learning from Reeders. I guess he was one of only 3 people ever to learn Reeders family style. It is also where he came up with the idea for Kung Fu tv series. But he lost that role. To Chinese!

A lot of people believe the bull**** he learned only in HK from 13-18 and not at the hands of Yip Man. It simply is not true.

Again, reference Between Wing Chun and Jeet Kune Do by Jesse Glover.

Edit. I wrote James Sass. I meant James Keating-corrected.
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 02-26-2015 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    It is also where he came up with the idea for Kung Fu tv series. But he lost that role. To Chinese!
    It's clear that Bruce Lee got the basic idea for the Kung Fu TV series from the original Zatoichi film series. BL was a fan of Japanese samurai films, and even characterized much of his fight choreography on the tempo of samurai films, replacing sword fighting with bare hands/nunchaku, etc. He also paid tribute to Zatoichi in some promo photos taken at Shaw Brothers studios, where he was dressed as a Chinese swordsman (he imitated Zatoichi by rolling his eyes up to mimic 'the blind swordsman'). And BL lost the role in Kung Fu to a Caucasian...David Carradine.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 02-27-2015 at 11:12 AM.

Never heard of that connection Jimbo. Thanks.