Thread: Zhai Yao Liu Lu

Zhai Yao Liu Lu

Below are my teaching notes concerning the applications of the movements of the first two lines of Zhai Yao Liu Lu (Essentials #6).

Some teachers credit the creation of the Zhai Yao series to Liang Xuexiang, while others say they were a product of Jiang Hualong.

There are many variations of quanpu, individual movements and interpretations of the fighting applications in the Greater Meihua families. So, I do not present my notes as the only or "right" way to do the form. My notes are only representative of how I teach the form at the Mantis Masters Academy.

Enjoy!

Zhai Yao Liu Lu

闭 手 挺 身
    Close Hands, Straighten Body
    If the enemy uses a foot to kick my center area or uses a fist to strike my center area, I use both my hands to block his fist or foot attack. Then I chop downward with both hands to strike his facial area.

左 右 二 太 極
    Left & Right Two Grand Ultimate
    If the enemy uses a hand to strike my center area, I use both hands to continuously block. Afterwards, I use my right forearm elbow to lift and strike his lower jaw.

上 下 劈 中 央
    Upward & Downward Split the Center
    After striking his lower jaw with my lifting strike, I advance my right leg and chop downward at his center.

纏 龍 護 眼 手
    Wrap Dragon Around Eye Strike
    If the enemy strikes toward my centerline, I use my right hand to pluck his wrist. Then I use the outer edge of my left palm to strike his eyes.

偷 打 手 內 藏
    Steal Strike Hand Inner Hidden
    When the enemy raises his hands to block or dodge, the center will have an opening. Then I will take the opportunity to strike him in the abdomen.

左 閉 反 陽 掌
    Left Close, Overturn Face Palm
    If the enemy strikes toward my center with his right fist, I press down his forearm with my left hand and strike his face with my overturned palm while advancing forward.

粘 手 雙 閉 打
    Sticky Hands, Double Closing Strikes
    Sweep both arms downward to separate the enemy’s arms. Then lift both claws upward to strike the enemy’s jaw or the separate his arms. Finally, thrust both willow leaf palms forward to strike the enemy’s chest.

雙 分 左 步 盤 肘
    Double Separate, Left Step, Coiling Elbow
    If the enemy strikes toward my center-line, I press the enemy’s arm downward with a right, then left rolling palm block. Then I advance my left foot forward and strike with a right coiling elbow.

提 右 步 下 身 插 肘 至 地
    Lift Right Step, Lower Body & Insert Elbow to the Ground
    If the enemy attacks from the rear, I turn 180 degrees and lift the right leg with hands in close hands position. Then I step the right foot down, lift the left knee to the rear and swing the forearm elbow on a downward slant toward the enemy’s groin.

粘 拿右 圈 捶
    Stick, Seize & Right Circle Strike
    If the enemy strikes at my exposed head, I step my left foot forward and strike to the enemy’s head with a right circle strike while seizing the enemy’s wrist.

连 环 低 漏 圈
    Continuous Lower Leaking Circles
    Use this to provoke the enemy to pursue and attack. If the enemy comes with a hand, then smash the hand. If the enemy extends a leg, then smash the leg. Then use the right fist to circle strike the ear gate. Also, if the enemy attempts to grab my waist, I separate my arms at waist level. Then use the right fist to circle strike the ear gate.

進 步 右 圈 捶
    Advance Step, Right Circle Strike
    I take advantage of my enemy’s lowered defenses by striking the left side of his head with a right circle strike and the right side of his head with an iron palm strike.

左 封 右 崩 捶
    Left Seal, Right Crashing Strike
    If the enemy blocks my right circle strike, I immediately shuffle forward and attack the enemy’s face with a right crashing strike.

右 腰 斬
    Right Waist Chop
    If the enemy blocks my crashing strike with his right hand, I pluck his right wrist with my right hand and grab his left wrist with my left hand. Then I step my left foot forward behind the enemy’s right lead leg and execute a right waist chop to topple the enemy. Then use the right fist to circle strike the ear gate.

Here is a video of three teachers performing the first two lines of the form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Fo...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 07-26-2014 at 07:50 AM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Thanks for the breakdown, mooyingM. Watching the videos made sense after reading listed techniques, reminds me of the power generation of Bajiguan and Xingyi. Caught me by surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Thanks for the breakdown, mooyingM. Watching the videos made sense after reading listed techniques, reminds me of the power generation of Bajiguan and Xingyi. Caught me by surprise.
    Good observation! Watching my Wu Tang brothers and sisters practice Bajiquan reminds me of the cun yi (inch power) of the Mantis Ba Zhou (Eight Elbows) form.
    Richard A. Tolson

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

Master Sun Deyao was featured in the video that I posted. He can be reached at www.sundeyao.com

I love the way he moves in this clip!
    Richard A. Tolson