Thread: Bone setting

Bone setting

I noticed that in most of southern Chinese boxing or may be other styles, masters have a good knowledge of bone setting, acupuncture or tuina. Today, do they get credentials for teaching? How knowledgeable are they?

Thanks,

Mig

Where did you hear this?

Many teachers no longer learn these subjects.

A few do, but many have no idea about this.

There is also many people who buy a cheap license in Hong Kong and then claim they are a high level Acupuncturist and Herbalist.

In the USA no matter where you come from, you have to go to school here and take the Boards and pass to get a license to actually practice in the US.

If you only have a Hong Kong license, you are not really what you claim to be.

If you are not Board Certified and licensed through the state where you live, you are not what you claim to be.
    Dr. Dale Dugas
    Hakka Mantis
    Integrated Eskrima
    Pukulan Cimande Pusaka Sanders

All for Use
    Nothing for Show

Bone breaking yes, setting, not so much.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Is there a license for bone setting?

In the U.S., as well as many other nations, their are certifications for acupuncture. In China, there are certs as well, but there is also an incalculable tradition of folk acupuncture which remains largely un-certified and cannot be discounted. I've heard of certs for tuina, but most of these are short courses offered on tuina through western TCM schools. As for bone setting, that's mostly a folk tradition as well. I can't recall hearing of a certification program for bone setting offhand.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I have been fortunate enough to train with teachers that had very strong kung fu and very strong medicine skills. Most of them learned the old way through apprenticeship and long hours reading. All of my teachers never taught every student only the few who showed interest and put in the time and effort on the mat to show their dedication. One group in particular has a whole curriculum of "family medicine" that can be learned if the student desires and completes the appropriate training. Quite a few have gone on to get licensed in the states while others just practice on each other and family so the skills will not be lost. Almost all the teachers I have ever met had a little knowledge about injuries much like a good football or track coach but that probably is not what the original poster was referencing. So yeah it is there but you have to look pretty hard to find it and make sure they are legit or are they just trying to get you to buy their kool-aid I have run across a couple that raised immediate red flags.

Bone setting can be done by an Ostepath, which is an MD.

There is no such thing as a bone setting license under Acupuncture or Chines medicine.

In Asian nations there is a lot of unregulated practices. In the USA, if you do not have a state license or a national Board Certification, you are not what you claim to be.

I am a board certified Chinese Herbalist, but any tom **** or harry can put up a shingle and CLAIM they are an herbalist.

I have met many of these untrained rubes who have offered illegal and dangerous health advice.

NEVER trust your health and well being to someone who is not licensed and insured health care provider.
    Dr. Dale Dugas
    Hakka Mantis
    Integrated Eskrima
    Pukulan Cimande Pusaka Sanders

All for Use
    Nothing for Show

I hear where you're coming from Mor Sao

But just to be Devil's Advocate, I'm not going to discount all the bone setters out there. My former BSL Sifu and my O-Mei Sigung were both talented bone setters and set me straight on numerous occasions. I've been treated by other bone setters too, both here in America and in China too. Some were good. Some weren't. On the flip side, I've been totally messed up by licensed acupuncturists and herbalists on numerous occasions. I've been messed up by MDs too. While the cert or license is important, it's no guarantee either. It just betters your odds.

Did you all see our last fb meme?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart