Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Samuel Kwok Chi-sau

Samuel Kwok Chi-sau

Quote Originally Posted by slick69 View Post
    What you guys think of the chi-sau? I thought Samuel kwok didn't look so great against a nobody...

What you guys think of the chi-sau? I thought Samuel kwok didn't look so great against a nobody...
    I don't really understand this type of Poon Sau. Different from what I train.

Sam Kwok had very poor elbow positioning, IMO, and hence the other guy was routinely able to extend his arm and hit. Kwok also had no bridge control when he was striking, so the other guy could strike him at the same time. Kwok also tried to use Pak Da, but with his Pak coming from under the other guy's arm... so the other guy simple struck him over the top. So no Yat Fook Yee in play.

Plus, Kwok's attacks were mostly cheap shots - over extended and from bad positioning. No distance control from footwork/stepping.

He was smiling and joking, but he looked uncomfortable throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT.. View Post
    I don't really understand this type of Poon Sau. Different from what I train.

Sam Kwok had very poor elbow positioning, IMO, and hence the other guy was routinely able to extend his arm and hit. Kwok also had no bridge control when he was striking, so the other guy could strike him at the same time. Kwok also tried to use Pak Da, but with his Pak coming from under the other guy's arm... so the other guy simple struck him over the top. So no Yat Fook Yee in play.

Plus, Kwok's attacks were mostly cheap shots - over extended and from bad positioning. No distance control from footwork/stepping.

He was smiling and joking, but he looked uncomfortable throughout.
    So its more about Kwok rather than the other guy?

Quote Originally Posted by HybridWarrior View Post
    Are you the other guy in the video?

I think the other guy did a good deed by showing kwok that his structure, positioning and pressure were absent... I also applaud his patience for repeatedly enduring kwoks cheap shots.
    Hah, no not the other guy, just not a fan of these Grand Masters
    See all the well edited scripted stuff of these so called Grand Masters looking amazing. Then I suddenly see this badly edited clip, which has obviously been hidden and is natural.
    Last edited by slick69; 08-08-2014 at 04:35 AM.

So its more about Kwok rather than the other guy?
    Well, I focused on Sam Kwok because he's the big name - I don't know anything about the other guy. But the unknown chap (unknown to me), looked better. And also showed far more control when striking. He was almost carefully placing his strikes in, whereas Sam Kwok appeared to be lashing out, hoping to get a hit.

In the UK, Sam Kwok is probably the most well known Wing Chun name. Lots of people teaching in the UK today learned from him, or from people who learned from him.

Quote Originally Posted by HybridWarrior View Post
    I wonder when this was filmed?
    In the article it says the two met in 2009, so maybe it was filmed then (?).

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT.. View Post
    He was almost carefully placing his strikes in, whereas Sam Kwok appeared to be lashing out, hoping to get a hit.
    It's basically a silly game of tag. I can't see that this type of chi-sau serves any sort of purpose in fight training.

Btw, welcome back, Beatrice! I knew you wouldn't be gone too long.
    Last edited by LFJ; 08-08-2014 at 05:11 AM.

One of the many reason I believe Chi sao as is done today and typically is a waste of time.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Btw, welcome back, Beatrice! I knew you wouldn't be gone too long.
    Just poking my head in, having a quick look around. Seems like everyone is on holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    One of the many reason I believe Chi sao as is done today and typically is a waste of time.
    unfortunatly the same can be said of the way wing chun and chinese arts in general do the majority of their training

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    unfortunatly the same can be said of the way wing chun and chinese arts in general do the majority of their training
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Chi sao varies widely by lineage

Well in the article there is sparring as well.
    Frost your opinion on that?

Its simply a drill, it build sensitivity along the "extended bridge" which allows for faster reactions while fighting with a "connected bridge".
    It is NOT a test of skill or fighting ability anymore than "clinch drills" are in Muay Thai.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Its simply a drill, it build sensitivity along the "extended bridge" which allows for faster reactions while fighting with a "connected bridge".
    It is NOT a test of skill or fighting ability anymore than "clinch drills" are in Muay Thai.
    So we can't use this to say anything about the skill of GM Sam Kwok?