Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 战跤 Combat Shuai Chiao

Blog Entries
    I have always believed that if you can beat up all the

- elementary school kids, then
    - junior high school kids, then
    - senior high school kids,

you may have developed some dependable skill. You have to start from easy first and then go to hard later.

When you train in the basic level, your opponent has to give you all the opportunity that you need. For example, if you tell your opponent that you want to train "foot sweep", your opponent will put weight on his leading leg all the time, allow you to sweep him down over and over. After you have swept your opponent down 10,000 times, you have developed your speed, power, technique, and confidence. Now your opponent may not always put weight on his leading leg, but you can catch that right moment, or you can use other set up to force him to put weight on his leading leg. Now you have passed your "basic level training", and move into your "intermediate level training".

When your opponent "intentionally" put weight on his leading leg and allow you to use your "foot sweep" to sweep him down, that's not "resistance opponent" by most of your guys definition. But that training "process" is very important in Chinese wrestling. It helps you to build your confidence. It may not be your real confidence in the beginning, but it will become your real confidence if you stay in this art long enough.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-13-2014 at 03:43 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    We practice throws with full resistance outside tournaments sometimes.

For instance, I will tell my partner how I am going to throw him, so that he knows what to expect. Then I try to pull it off under those conditions, and he does whatever he can to resist.

Good video, tho. I remember that match. If you look quickly, you can see me pacing behind the ref with my newly broken hand.
    Your hand was broken that weekend? Mine was too..

When i want to develop a move, like YKW said, I'll work with my training partner to develop my coordination against no resistance, then get him to start using muscle against me, then more footwork and evasion. But if he is giving me full resistance, it is only so i can work on my follow up move. Then i am working on a new move. Same process all over again.

After a few moves are good and fast, then i get my training partner to try and stall and only counter me, so i have to create an opening when he is completely defensive. Then i get my partner to attack aggressively where i am looking to execute my moves in that setting. And then of course spar a lot. Then i feel my move is ready for a tournament. But often it is hard to have a steady training partner...
    --—••—--•--—••—–-
    Its only a problem if there is a solution
    ⚓️