Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hands up! [gif]

Hands up! [gif]

Not my gif, found it surfing around.

Dangers of training in a style that don't let you hit the head - develop bad habits, namely hands up!

Quote Originally Posted by Stickgrappler View Post
    Not my gif, found it surfing around.

Dangers of training in a style that don't let you hit the head - develop bad habits, namely hands up!
    Yep, one of the reasons you see lots of kicking Ko's in kyokushin is because they tend to drop their hands WAY TOO MUCH.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

When we first started promoting sanshou in NYC, we had a lot of Kyokushin fighters, they were tough, but low hands and obviously zero boxing skill made things hard on them
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    When we first started promoting sanshou in NYC, we had a lot of Kyokushin fighters, they were tough, but low hands and obviously zero boxing skill made things hard on them
    Yep, I never had that problem because of my boxing background, the whole notion of dropping my hands was too unnatural to me.
    At my old school we tend to spar with gloves and head shots and only when training for a comp sis we do more "traditional" sparring.

lol at "traditonal sparring"

what's up with kicking in while in clinch range?

Don't have time right now to get into it, but there is a LONG STORY about this that starts with Jon Bluming and ends with Daidojuku

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

http://i.imgur.com/Kd9Kl.gif

Worked out better for her than it did for this guy!!

I know, my link fu sucks. Can't figure out how to imbed gif.
    point sparring is a great way to train

Don't have time right now to get into it, but there is a LONG STORY about this that starts with Jon Bluming and ends with Daidojuku
    Sounds interesting. Anything Bluming related is interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/Kd9Kl.gif

Worked out better for her than it did for this guy!!

I know, my link fu sucks. Can't figure out how to imbed gif.
    embed code for jpg/png/gif - any pic

[img]url[/img]

where url in this case = "http://i.imgur.com/Kd9Kl.gif"

Last edited by Stickgrappler; 08-15-2014 at 06:43 AM. Reason: added gif

oh dayum at that fighter

meant 'long kick' in clinch range, as there are 'short kicks'

but wow, oldschool Jon Bluming

*sits in lotus position and meditates awaiting Ross sifu's story*

Two reasons:
    When your hands are down ( which they tend to get one two people stand in front of each other and punch each other in the chest) a kick is surprisingly easy to get in from that range.
    Kicking "should" be able to be done from ANY range...

The lack of punching to the head changes the fundamental shape of the fighting as has been said... and since you can't punch, of course you kick in close...

Well, that and the fact there was no clinch allowed....

Jon Bluming, with his Judo training, of course was opposed to this format, and was very vocal (well, he was very vocal about everything) to Oyama about this, when push came to shove, Bluming did in fact throw people in Oyama's dojo

Bluming suggested to Oyama to change the format.. at least to include the Judo throws and some ground... Oyama resisted....

The story goes, Oyama eventually said he wanted to see a draft of some new rules, those rules were brought to him, and while at the last minute he still felt such a change would split his organization, he approved the author of those new rules to start his own organization with those rules... that became Daido Juku

The lack of punching to the head changes the fundamental shape of the fighting as has been said... and since you can't punch, of course you kick in close...

Well, that and the fact there was no clinch allowed....

Jon Bluming, with his Judo training, of course was opposed to this format, and was very vocal (well, he was very vocal about everything) to Oyama about this, when push came to shove, Bluming did in fact throw people in Oyama's dojo

Bluming suggested to Oyama to change the format.. at least to include the Judo throws and some ground... Oyama resisted....

The story goes, Oyama eventually said he wanted to see a draft of some new rules, those rules were brought to him, and while at the last minute he still felt such a change would split his organization, he approved the author of those new rules to start his own organization with those rules... that became Daido Juku
    Master and former world champion Takashi Azuma IIRC...