Thread: The BJJ Blue Belt

The BJJ Blue Belt

Some schools really put a value on the blue belt in terms of the the time it takes to get one through proficiency.

Then on the other hand if you fluke the right seminar - you can get one in about 3 hours.

I know some schools hand them out quick but then the wait to purple is a long one...

Thoughts...

I think if you are one that gets a blue belt quick ,you will feel like a real fool if you go to other schools and tournaments and get taped out by white belts.bjj keep it real in that respect.

They put value in the Blue belt because its probably the most important rank. After blue belt, you can technically become an instructor of Bjj. Its the ranking where you're going to learn the most movements, and really perfect what you learned at white belt. Some people spend several years at blue, for good reason.

In every BJJ school I've been in, there's stripes within each belt grade. I don't see how its possible to advance 3 stripes to Blue so quickly. Also as Wiz said, you really don't want to get a blue belt so quickly, because blues are a target for hungry white belts looking to prove themselves. Its going to be soul crushing to get tapped by white belts all day, every day

Also the IBJJF requires you to be a blue belt for at least 2 years, so you're going to be at that ranking for quite awhile.
    Last edited by BigPandaBear; 08-16-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Could not agree more...

My teacher was telling me that years ago a blue belt was a big deal. I think he spent 6 years prior to blue.

Not suggesting everyone has to do that of course...

Is a blue belt in BJJ essentially the equivalent of a black in one of the various traditional systems?

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktiger View Post
    Could not agree more...

My teacher was telling me that years ago a blue belt was a big deal. I think he spent 6 years prior to blue.

Not suggesting everyone has to do that of course...

Is a blue belt in BJJ essentially the equivalent of a black in one of the various traditional systems?
    No, that would be the Purple belt, which is the belt that comes after Blue.

Blue is the quintessential intermediate belt. Its the bridge between being a beginner, and being proficient in the art. I would say its more like Green to Brown belt.

Some people can be at blue for a LONG time.