Thread: RIP B.K.S. Iyengar

RIP B.K.S. Iyengar

He was one of the greatest masters and teachers that I have ever had the honor of training under.

Yoga guru BKS Iyengar dies at 95
    Laura Mandaro, USA TODAY Network 1:37 p.m. EDT August 20, 2014

(Photo: Bhaskar Paul, India Today Group/Getty Images)

BKS Iyengar, the Indian yoga guru whose teachings helped popularize yoga in the United States, died Wednesday at the age of 95.

The news of his death was announced on Iyengar's website with a picture of the silver-haired teacher and the words "I always tell people, 'live happily and die majestically.'"

Iyengar died at a hospital in Pune, India, after being admitted for breathlessness, reported the Times of India.He had continued to practice yoga into his 90s, amazing reporters and acolytes with his agility and strength.

A screen shot of the site of BKS Iyengar. The yoga teacher, whose writings helped inspire generations of yoga practitioners in the U.S., died on Aug. 19, 2014.(Photo: www.bksiyengar.com)

Iyengar started practicing yoga, an Indian tradition that dates back 2,000 years, after a series of childhood illnesses left him weak. He started teaching in the 1930s and opened his institute in Pune in the 1970s.

It was the acquaintance in 1952 with an international celebrity, which turned into a life-long friendship, and his writings that helped that bring Iyengar's practice of concentration and carefully arranged postures to a global audience. (Read a New York Times interview with Iyengar from 2002.)

Thousands of New Yorkers mark the first day of summer by practicing yoga in Times Square on June 21, 2014.(Photo: Richard Drew, AP)

He struck up a friendship with violinist Yehudi Menuhin, who said Iyengar's practice improved his playing. The limelight and Iyengar's 1966 book Light on Yoga, which included hundreds of pages of instruction and multiple photographs, helped introduce yoga to the U.S. at a time when the country was eager to try alternative lifestyles.

In 2004, Time named him one of the most 100 influential people.

Recently elected Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted on Wednesday, "Generations will remember Shri BKS Iyengar as a fine Guru, scholar and stalwart who brought yoga into the lives of many across the world."

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The ultimate shivasana

Yoga guru BKS Iyengar passes away
    Umesh Isalkar,TNN | Aug 20, 2014, 07.32 AM IST

Yoga guru BKS Iyengar passed away at a private hospital in Pune on Wednesday.

The 96-year-old yoga exponent was admitted to the intensive care unit of a private hospital here for poor heart function and difficulty in breathing.

Iyengar's heart muscles had become very week following which less blood was being pumped by the heart.

"His heart's ejection fraction (capability of the heart to pump blood) was 25 per cent when he was admitted on August 12. Later it dropped to 20 per cent. He had been put on medication to improve the heart function, but it did not show much results," the doctor said.

"The ejection rate of human heart should be in the range of 45 to 55% for proper blood circulation in the body. But low ejection rate of his heart led to decreased blood supply to all the vital organs including brain, kidney and intestines. This has also led to kidney failure," the doctor said.

After the kidney failure on Sunday, the Yoga guru was advised continuous renal replacement therapy (CRRT) by nephrologists from Mumbai-based Jaslok Hospital who visited him on Sunday so that fluid as well as toxins accumulated in blood are removed slowly with the help of CRRT machine.

"We had put him on intermittent dialysis from Sunday. He had undergone three cycles of dialysis but his kidneys didn't much respond to the treatment," the doctor said.

"Iyengar died at 3.15 am on Wednesday," said a treating doctor.

A file photo of BKS Iyengar interacting with students of Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram, Institute of Yoga and Yoga Studies at Mandaveli in Chennai. (TOI Photo)
    Today, I mourn.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Today, I mourn.
    Me too. What a person- what a life- what a contribution.

THE WISDOM OF: BKS Iyengar (Dec 14, 1918 - Aug 20, 2014)

Posted 15 of my favorite quotes as well as an additional 55 quotes in memory of BKS Iyengar who passed away yesterday at the age of 95.

RIP BKS Iyengar

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2014/08...c-14-1918.html

From my fb page, a TBT

1997: B.K.S Iyengar lecturing at the Iyengar Institute in Pune, India. I spent a month following my beloved wife studying yoga at the Institute. I've taken lessons from Shaolin monks, Wudang priests, cops, military instructors, Tong men, gangsters, street fighters, and martial artists with blood on their hands. None were as intimidating as Mr. Iyengar.
    follow me on facebook.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

BKS Iyengar's 97th Birthday

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

RIP Geeta Iyengar

Geeta Iyengar, renowned yoga exponent, passes away at 74
    Manjula Nair | TNN | Dec 17, 2018, 12:19 IST

PUNE: Geeta Iyengar, daughter of renowned yoga guru BKS Iyengar, passed away on Sunday morning in Pune. She was 74 and had suffered a heart attack. The last rites were performed at 3pm at Vaikunth crematorium.
    She was one of the directors of the Ramamani Iyengar Memorial Yoga Institute, Pune and an acclaimed yoga teacher with disciples all over the world.
    Family sources said Geetaji was active until Sunday early morning and had conducted her classes and delivered talks at the BKS Iyengar birth centenary celebrations held at the Balewadi stadium in Pune from December 3-14.
    Her niece, Abhijata Iyengar, said her aunt had been up since 4.45am and was going about her usual routine on Sunday. “She complained of breathlessness and passed away between 5.15am and 6am,” she added. Abhijata said Geetaji had been suffering from connective tissue disorder for a long time.
    Geetaji’s sister Sucheta said the death was peaceful. “ On Sunday, she had a bit of breathlessness in the morning. Whenever she felt breathless she would put head on a table and sit for a while until it passed. She did the same on Sunday. By the time we took her to a hospital, she had already passed away. She was up talking to her students till 8.30pm on Saturday,” she added.
    Having lost their mother in 1973, the Iyengar siblings had always looked at Geetaji as a mother figure. She had started learning yoga and imparting training since she was 11 years of age.
    After earning her doctorate degree in ayurveda she had also improvised upon various techniques in medical yoga, taking classes every week. She had also authored the seminal book, “Yoga — A Gem For Women” that contributed immensely in yoga techniques for women.
    Many wept openly
    Disciples, well-wishers, relatives and students who had gathered at RIMYI wept openly and consoled each other, saying they had lost their mother.
    “She’s in my heart, she’s my mother, sister, teacher, guru. Since Guruji (BKS Iyengar) passed, she’s been my mentor,” Gloria who is from the US said.
    Raya (40), a senior teacher at the institute, said, “She was the living example of what a shishya is to a guru. Her devotion to her father as a guru was unparalleled.”
    He recalled her reply when she was asked about living in her father’s shadow. “She said it was not his shadow, it was his light. She was an extraordinarily beautiful person. Every moment of her life was filled with her guru’s teachings and her urge to pass it on,” he said.

A charitable person

V S Mahadevan (89), who has been associated with the institute for over 40 years, said she was a great teacher and a greater human being, known for being charitable and kind to all.
    Senior yoga teacher Zubin Zarthoshtimanesh from Mumbai said, “We were there for the centenary celebrations. Her hard work and dedication to yoga is the reason the institute was honoured with the Prime Minister’s award for outstanding contribution. Just last week, she took classes for five days at Balewadi, where 1,200 people from 56 countries participated. Today, a teacher who was part of the fabric of our country is no more.”

A devoted daughter

Pandurang Rao, RIMYI’s secretary and a personal friend of the family, said he had known Geetaji for over 50 years.
    Geetaji would teach before the institute came about, he said. “She would go to a few people’s houses and took private tuitions around 1967. She taught along with her father. She was extremely devoted and loyal to him. After the death of Guruji, she was in great shock, but she said the show must go on and life must continue. She came out strong,” he added.
    “I was around 20 when Guruji taught me at home and I learned along with Geeta, her brother Prashant, and a few more people,” he said.

I'm a little late to this. My wife still does yoga. I've dropped in on a few restorative classes but not many. She heard about it mentioned in one of her classes recently.

Geeta was a lioness. She ran the women's classes mostly and was a powerhouse, truly brilliant in her approach and research. I didn't really train under her for the month we were at the Institute, just BKS & Prashant.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips