Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Eagle Claw Peeps.....in Chinese

For Eagle Claw Peeps.....in Chinese

More,

Students of Benson Lee Sifu performing at the 40th Anniversary Celebration of Shum Sigung's Ying jow Pai in New York City.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXuccqEtsek

mickey

Thanks for posting... It's always nice to affirm that I'm in the best possible place for Eagle Claw right here in Western MA.

Couple comments about the China vid. 1. Combine the precision of guy #1 with the mechanics of guy #2 and you'd have something pretty good...but guy #1 is the only forms performer in the video who has his claws in the right positions. 2. The teacher demonstrating applications has decent qin na, but he isn't actually using an eagle claw to grab.

Greetings,

This article contains a reference to Chen Zi Cheng, Eagle Claw practice and Li Ying Arng:

http://benotdefeatedbytherain.blogsp...?view=magazine

mickey

Greetings,

Upon re-reading the article that I linked, I began to wonder of Bruce Lee's development of the one inch punch was inspired by one of the abilities of Chen Zi Cheng: being able to deliver full power strikes at very close range.

mickey

Greetings,

The following link is to an Eagle Claw Library that was started this year by a long time practitioner. Even though much of the material is in Chinese it is worth going through (you will see what I mean) :

http://eagleclawlibrary.blogspot.com...1_archive.html

Who said mickey doesn't luv ya?

Enjoy

mickey

Some Trivia: The Last Dragon and Ying Jow Pai

Greetings,

The place where Bruce Leroy taught at was actually the 28th street location for Shum Sigong's Yong Jow Pai. The training area was rectangular even though the movie shots suggests a square location. In some shots you can see the Ying Jow Pai flag in the background.

Hargrove Sifu shared that some students also participated in the movie. A very young Benson Lee can be seen sitting in the audience during the theater scene. Considering how young he looked, Motown must have been shopping for financial backers for a while. I saw Benson Lee competing in 1981. He looked older than he was in the movie.

mickey

Thanks Mickey. Question, is much of Eagle Claws focus on chin na aspects ?

Side note, nice article. More proof Yip Man was not Lee's only teacher. I have told anyone interested that Lee studied under Fook Young probably longer than he did Yip Man. My source was Jesse Glovers book I bought from Dolan Sports. Still the legend is he only had Yip Man as a teacher. Lee learned from anyone he could. The Reeders clan to this day still believe Lee was one of 3 people to learn Reeders family style.

Anyway, it is nice to learn of another.

Hi Billy,

It is nice to have you back with us.

Though I am not an Eagle Claw man, I have a serious respect for it. In addition to the claw, there is the wing (fingertips, palm edge, back of palm) and the beak (wrist and fingertip striking). Both are used in attacking vital points. In Shum Sigong's first book on Northern Eagle Claw, the principles of the style are laid out. The claw is but one aspect of those principles. Additionally, at the end of the book is a vital point diagram. You cannot claw them all.

Regarding that article, if Bruce Lee did have something to do with it, he may be the reason why Eagle Claw is know as know by this name and not as Hawk's Claw.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 09-06-2015 at 12:01 PM.

mickey,

I don't think Bruce Lee is responsible for naming Ying Jao "Eagle's Claw" in English. My late Mantis teacher in Taiwan, Peng Han-Ping, had many teachers, including Zhong Fu-Sheng, an old master of Eagle Claw, but different from the Ying Jao/Fanzi lineage of Lau Fat-Mang. In fact, it was very different. If I remember correctly, Zhong Fu-Sheng was considered one of the "living treasures" that went to Taiwan from China after 1949. I met Zhong several times when Shifu Peng took me to his home to pay respects, and he would watch our classes now and then. Though he was nearly 80 at the time, he still had the air of a 'badass' about him and kept a low key, yet was universally respected in the CMA community there. In his apartment, he had paintings and wooden carvings of Eagles, and a large lineage chart up on his wall. When Shifu Peng was invited to Tat Wong's 1991 championship in San Francisco, he met Gini Lau, and she knew about Zhong Fu-Sheng.

I only ever saw one form from that lineage when my teacher let me watch him practice it now and then. I almost saw some resemblances to Mizhong/Long Fist, but I saw no acrobatics in that particular set. It seemed more fluid, with more clear 'full-body power generation' than some of the Ying Jao/Fanzi sets I've seen. But my Mantis teacher, Shifu Peng, always referred to it as "Eagle's Claw" in English.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-06-2015 at 12:30 PM.

Hi Jimbo,

Thank you for sharing those insights with me. That guy sounded like fun.

I do remember reading that ying actually referred to a hawk. And I think that article may have been the first time Eagle Claw was mentioned in English (1968). I will go by what you shared with me. Thank you.

mickey

Greetings.

Jimbo,

About the lineage of Zhang Fusheng, the following is from the Taiping Institute:

13. Yu Boqian (于伯谦, 1901-1981) Master Yu was instrumental in establishing Dongbei Fanziquan as a key branch. Yu Boqian was from Xia County, Liaoning province. In his youth he studied with the 'San Lao' of Dongbei. Fanzi Masters Hao Mingjiu and Yang Junfeng and Chuojiao expert Hu Fengshan. Upon completing his studies at Dongbei University he became an empoyee of the East Railways. In 1931, he was involved in the Xian incident with Zhang Xueliang. In 1945 he returned to Shengyang, and during those later days he became acquainted with masters such as Chen Zicheng, Bi Yushan, Li Yushan, Ma Fengtu and Ma Yingtu receiving much advise and pointers from them. After the founding of the PRC, he opened a school in Shenyang 'Heping District Wushu School" Some of his key disciples included Shi Chunlin, Bai Guodong, Tong Qinghui, Lin Xinping, Yu Zhenping, Pan Qingfu, Fan Chuiba, Lin Xinwei, Zhang Fusheng, Yu Baocheng, Guo Hongyuan, Zhan Zhenku, Zhao Dianzhong, Liu Baoyuan, Wang Minglian, Zhu Renfa, Chen Qitai, Yu Zhenbo, Dan Rubai, Wang Dexian, Yu Gang and Li Qipeng.

Jimbo, the whole body striking power you observed may have been the Dongbei influence.

mickey

mickey,

Interesting info, thanks!

Although his name was Zhong (long O sound), a different surname from Zhang. So most likely the article is referring to a different person.

I actually found a clip of Master Zhong. This set is different from the one I saw my teacher practicing, but you can see the different characteristics of this style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4bcGfJVRdc&sns=em

His system was Shandong Eagle Claw.

In a different thread, I mentioned my Teacher Peng's Hung Gar teacher, Zhang Ke-Zhi. Again, different surname from Zhong. I found a clip of him, too, from his younger days (here his name was spelled in the older Wade-Giles manner, Chang Ke-Chi). His HG was different from the HK/Lam Sai-Wing lineage. Sorry if it's OT, but I thought I'd include this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrtvB_8Xpkk&sns=em
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-06-2015 at 05:30 PM.

Okay,

Different person. My bad.

mickey

ppl in that video are horrible, have they trained for like 2 weeks or somthing

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC