Thread: Heavy bag kicking drills

Blog Entries

Heavy bag kicking drills

When I train my kick on my heavy bag, I like to do the following 4 kicks combo:

- Right, left, left, right, then
    - Left, right, right, left.

This way I can train how to use my

- right kick to set up my left kick (or left kick to set up my right kick),
    - left kick to set up another left kick (or right kick to set up another right kick).

I'll use this pattern on my

- front kick,
    - roundhouse kick,
    - side kick.

What's your opinion on this kind of "heavy bag kicking drills"?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-26-2014 at 04:22 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Greetings YKW,

I prefer to use the heavy bag to develop the strength and penetrating power of the legs. I would not use a heavy bag for speed training, unless I was light tapping it.

mickey

Blog Entries
    I use heavy bag to develop the strength and penetrating power of the legs too. But it's just so boring to throw 1 kick at a time. When I throw more than 1 kick, there is always some pattern such as

1. right, right, or
    2. right, left.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-26-2014 at 07:07 PM.

Heavy bag training can be used many different ways.

Mr. Wang, the way you describe is the most essential ways of working the heavy bag, that both beginners and advanced can use. Techniques always come in combinations. Working the bag in this way allows one to go "all out" with power...for many people there comes a point when a full-power kick is too much for a partner holding the pads.

If I were coaching, I would be careful not to limit the athlete to repetition of the same combinations...if they aren't complete beginners they shouldn't be repeating the same combinations over and over.

Here are my suggestions for (very) basic kicking drills on the heavy bag:

front leg front kick - back leg roundhouse
    front leg roundhouse - back leg roundhouse
    back leg roundhouse - same leg side kick
    front leg side kick - back leg back kick

These are good for the most basic of training....real training should always incorporate hands.
    "I'm a highly ranked officer of his tong. HE is the Dragon Head. our BOSS. our LEADER. the Mountain Lord." - hskwarrior

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    When I train my kick on my heavy bag, I like to do the following 4 kicks combo:

- Right, left, left, right, then
    - Left, right, right, left.

This way I can train how to use my

- right kick to set up my left kick (or left kick to set up my right kick),
    - left kick to set up another left kick (or right kick to set up another right kick).

I'll use this pattern on my

- front kick,
    - roundhouse kick,
    - side kick.

What's your opinion on this kind of "heavy bag kicking drills"?
    It's good to train your setups and combinations.

I also like to isolate and train specific things.

My typical bag kicking routine starts with shin and instep conditioning. My heavybag has a lot of sand shifted to the bottom, so it's hard there.

I warm up by kicking directly up into the bottom of the bag with the front of my shins. Then I do the inside and outside surfaces of the shins. Alternate legs until done. Then do the same with instep.

Then I do liao yum tui, a straight piercing groin kick that contacts with the instep. I do this to the bottom of the bag off to one side with speed and make the bag spin fast on the swivel.

Next I work on front knee strikes to focus on forward hip thrust. Then I do roundhouse type knee to work on hip torque.

Next I do front heel kick with rear leg for impact, extension and penetration, and focus. Hit the bag on the backswing and make it fly back out.

Next I do rear leg side kick and pay attention to speed, power, and alignment.

Next is steal step front leg side kick to impact on the back swing. This works power from a different distance and timing.

Next is steal step side kick followed by forward turn side kick with other leg.

Next I do tiger tail kick from back leg to work on more turning and balance.

Then from a longer distance, I step forward with rear leg into tiger tail with the other leg. Focus on fast turn and relaxed transition.

Then same thing with a half step run instead of just a step. This is to work on agility and acquiring the target quickly.

Next I work on combinations with the Praying Mantis idea of speed setup and power finish.

Fast front leg step, rear leg round house, then turning tiger tail kick finish. I start this far from the bag so only the last kick makes contact, this lets me go from closing in at full speed to finish with power as if chasing down the opponent.

Then I repeat from slightly further away and the first step is a run.

Next from even further away, I do with alternating legs, run, rear cross kick, roundhouse kick, tiger tail kick. This is to work fast closing, fast torquing, and the final penetration power.

Then some similar combos like run, cross kick, front kick, tiger tail. Or run, low roundhouse, high roundhouse, dragon tail kick, etc.

But the main point is to work on speed and agility while running down the opponent with kicks and footwork, then landing a power shot.

After all the turning and hip torquing, then i go back to power on single roundhouse kicks. Snap the hip torque starting with the lead side hip, use relaxed short force to press the rear foot off the ground and go into rear leg round house and penetrate with shin contact.

After a few sets of singles, then I do L/R and R/L alternating power roundhouse kicks.

From here, I go back to balance and accuracy and work on turning dragon tail kick, stationary, and also with advancing step. Light contact on this kick.

Lately, I've been kicking a 1' diameter steel post(tree is probably a better choice, but not an option for me), and found that it's helped my power even more than the heavy bag.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    It's good to train your setups and combinations.

I also like to isolate and train specific things.

My typical bag kicking routine starts with ...
    And with all the kicks and combos, whether or not you mix in handwork and strikes etc, focus on torso alignment and timing so that you train the internal structure and coordination for strikes even if you don't explicitly do the strikes.

Blog Entries
    I agree that we can also add:

- different kicks combo (such as roundhouse kick, side kick, ...),
    - kick, punch combo (such as front kick, face punch, ...),

to make it more complete. We can also include palm, knee, elbow, forearm, shoulder, (I haven't included head-butt yet), ...
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-27-2014 at 12:41 AM.

i train mostly low and mid level of kicks - and high ones for sure but not as much - combined with upper body actions.Have no specific or combined ways for training like low-low-tail-elbow-mid.
    I rather train on pillowed walls than bags hence you don't have to wait for its swinging actions which some people find good to train.
    Last edited by Rover; 09-03-2014 at 02:48 PM.
    The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up ~ Mohammed Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I rather train on pillowed walls than bags hence you don't have to wait for its swinging actions which some people find good to train.
    This is good. Sometimes people push the bag more than hit the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I agree that we can also add:

- different kicks combo (such as roundhouse kick, side kick, ...),
    - kick, punch combo (such as front kick, face punch, ...),

to make it more complete. We can also include palm, knee, elbow, forearm, shoulder, (I haven't included head-butt yet), ...
    Yes, expanding the type of combinations is good.

You can train the speed and power of the individual movements, then in different combos.

We constantly remind and train our students that northern footwork is about mobility. We caution them about staying in one place or range and throwing shots.

Adding speed, range, momentum and closing in to overrun with the kick, punch, kao, takedown combos helps with that.

I'll do repetition kicking drills on the heavy bag as well as on the pads.

Maintaining structure and delivering optimum force being the desire on the bag and to maintain same while mobile when using the pads.

Not being bounced by the bag is important. Strength an structure are the assist to that.
    Not throwing stupid amounts of energy at something and timing is gotten from the pad drills as well as injection of kicks while moving.

types of kicks or number of repetitions isn't important. Balance, strength, power and timing are though.
    Kung Fu is good for you.